MAC partnered with 10 YouTubers and Instagram influencers around the world to create custom made lipsticks this spring. These special collaborations have been done in the US, UK, Canada, Brazil, France, Germany, Australia and the Middle East and you can only find the lipstick from each region specific to the area the influencers are from. For the US there were two launched for YouTube stars Laura Lee with #MACxLarLarLee (matte finish) and Gabriel Zamora for #MACxGabrielZamora (satin finish). Both were online exclusives and if you’re like me you blinked and then saw them sell out pretty fast. I’m hoping MAC will restock but won’t hold my breath as they were listed as limited-edition. As a MAC fan I would have loved to be able to buy all 10 as I think it’s so cool these influencers were able to make their own unique shade.
I know not being able to get these now is a bit heartbreaking (they were online exclusives to MAC’s website). I was traveling over the past few weeks and wasn’t able to get the review up early but thought it might be helpful to swatch these next to other lipstick colors. Many of you love the comparison swatches and if I can help you find a dupe or something similar (and even save you $$ in many cases) then my day is made. First a look at both shades.
Both of these are beautiful neutrals but as many of you know, nudes and neutrals can be tricky to pull off depending on your lip tone and skin tone. I personally love shades like MAC Blankety, Angel, Creme Cup and Creme de Nude on my hand, but on my lips alone they are a complete disaster. #MACxLarLarLee is described as a universally flattering neutral pink with a matte finish. On me it pulls a bit cool as there is a tiny bit of mauve undertone. I think it photographs decent but in real life it’s too cool and tad too light for my olive skintone especially since I have darkened a couple shades since moving to Florida. Right now I’m a solid NC35-NC37 in the Studio Fix Fluid (NC25, NC30, NC35 and NC37 swatched here). Topping it with a gloss or adding a bit of liner like MAC Whirl makes it wearable for me. The closest option I could find is Yash which is nearly identical, but Yash is the slightest bit deeper and warmer with more beige.
#MACxGabrielZamora is the warmer and deeper option of the two. It’s described as a brown nude shade and I love the way this looks on Gabriel. On me it pulls slightly terracotta-ish. Almost like a 90’s version of nude but a lot more wearable than the classic MAC Spice Lipliner. This is another one I think photographs well but will look completely different depending on your skintone. I suspect if you are lighter or fairer than me it will definitely pull more red. On deeper skin tones or lip tones this will look more nude.
Close up lip swatches:
I couldn’t really find dupes but pulled what I had to compare, Set 1 has all MAC shades. I suspect that the Gabriel Zamora shade might be close to Creme in Your Coffee but I don’t own that one so I couldn’t swatch it.
Thoughts on the shades from left to right (P.S. Nordstrom has MAC on 10% off today, not sure how long it’s going on but they are price matching):
- MAC Cremesheen Lipstick in Japanese Maple is a lot lighter and glossier almost white-looking by comparison
- MAC Cremesheen Lipstick in Pure Zen is more peach and warmer
- MAC Cremesheen Lipstick in Modesty is a more wearable version of #MACxLarLarLee on my lips, it has a similar vibe but since it has more pigment it gives me the look I hoped #MACxLarLarLee would be on me
- MAC Matte Lipstick in Yash is slightly deeper and more beige but really close
- MAC Amplified Lipstick in Half n Half is a shade lighter and less warm compared to #MACxGabrielZamora
- MAC Lustre Lipstick in Hug Me is in between both shades in color, a lot sheerer and glossy
- MAC Liptensity in Doe is a lot more beige compared to either and Toast and Butter is more brown-based (both on the lips here)
- MAC Matte Lipstick Velvet Teddy is deeper than #MACxLarLarLee and not as red/warm compared to #MACxGabrielZamora (Velvet Teddy on the lips here)
Set 2 has a mix of other brands from NARS, Tom Ford, Kat Von D, Tarte, Bite and Charlotte Tilbury.
Thoughts on colors from left to right:
- NARS Audacious Lipstick in Barbara and Raquel both pull on the lighter/neutral side on me, so if you find the #MACxLarLarLee too light for your skin and lip tone, try either of the NARS ones, they are more wearable (both lip swatched in this post)
- Tom Ford Lip Color in Sweet Mystery is something I thought would have a similar undertone to #MACxLarLarLee, I was really wrong! (on the lips here)
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lip Color in Ophelia is deeper and slightly warmer than #MACxLarLarLee, Bow n Arrow is a lot darker by comparison (both reviewed here)
- Tarte Creamy Matte Lip Paint in Bestie is a lot deeper but still neutral cool-toned like #MACxLarLarLee (Bestie in this post here)
- Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche in Chai has more blue compared to #MACxGabrielZamora (Chai reviewed here)
- Charlotte Tilbury KISSING Lipstick in Stoned Rose is more orange compared to #MACxGabrielZamora (Stoned Rose swatched here)
- Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution in Pillow Talk is what I’d consider truly neutral, it has the same intensity as #MACxGabrielZamora without the brown but it’s deeper than #MACxLarLarLee (Pillow Talk on lips here)
I do think both the #MACxLarLarLee and #MACxGabrielZamora are unique and special in their own way. On me I can make them work but since I have pigmented lips and am really picky with neutrals find that these both need a tiny bit of tweaking to make them more wearable. #MACxLarLarLee is a bit too light for my complexion, the next best options for me are MAC Modesty or NARS Raquel. #MACxGabrielZamora is a gorgeous brown nude but pulls a bit warm on me so I prefer something with a bit more blue like Bite Beauty Chai or something more neutral like MAC Velvet Teddy.
At any rate I hope that this post helps you if you missed out on both. Fingers crossed that MAC restocks these or that they launch all the collaboration shades everywhere, but I don’t think that will happen.
Did you order any of the MAC Influencer Lipsticks? If so which shades and what did you think? P.S. today’s the last day to enter my Antica Giveaway!
MAC #MACxLarLarLee and #MACxGabrielZamora provided courtesy of MAC for review.