We’ve been in Florida for two and a half years now and the best thing we’ve discovered are the beaches! We never really knew what truly beautiful beaches were like until our first trip to Florida three Decembers ago. As beautiful as San Diego is, West Coast beaches don’t compare at all to the ones on the East coast! Here the beaches are so clean, water is warm enough to swim in and the overall atmosphere is more relaxing and friendly. We’ve been exploring more beaches each weekend and finally went to Siesta Key off the coast of Sarasota. So many of you have recommended we visit and it’s one of the best ones we’ve been to! We also love St. Pete Beach and Anna Maria.
With each of our beach trips I try to share a little of what I pack with me on Instagram stories. Our beach days tend to be all day events, or at the very least all afternoon to late evening excursions. We go straight from the beach to run afternoon errands or dinner and even though most of everything in South Florida is very laid back and low key, I still pack beauty products and extra clothes to change into to look a little more polished.
A lot of you have been asking for a beach kit series along with an updated Florida post (ie beauty, towels, umbrellas, clothes, best beaches etc.). Today I have my beach beauty favorites. I’m working on the other ones to post for you soon! Above is The Daily Edited Clear Pouch in Pale Pink (love!). On the nails is Chanel Le Vernis in Purple Ray. Sunnies are from Celine.
Sunscreen + Sun Protection
favorite sunscreens in the Truffle Jetset Case
I owe you an updated sunscreen post but I have had the worst time with face sunscreen this year and had several severe allergic reactions to new formulas I’ve been testing. The whole testing process is taking longer than anticipated and I’m still going to have an updated roundup with all the hits and misses. The ones I swear by are my long-time tried and true:
- Sol de Janiero Bumb Bum Sol Oil with SPF 30 is something we’ve nearly used up entirely! It’s a delicious suncreen oil that has shimmer in side. The shimmer is very subtle and has no gritty feel/texture. We used this during our Miami trip and I’ve been using it here in Tampa too. It does have a very strong sweet smell so if you can’t wear strong scents opt for the Supergoop! Oil instead.
- Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen with SPF 50 is my most-used body sunscreen. It helps to prevent burn the best out of all the ones I’ve tried. It’s smooth enough and lightweight to reapply easily without feeling heavy. There’s no scent and it doesn’t feel sticky.
- Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen with SPF 40 is a great transparent face sunscreen for me. It’s invisible and lightweight, I can wear it under makeup or alone!
- Supergoop! Sunscreen Oil with SPF 50 is tied in my top two for the body. This was the first Supergoop! product I tried and it was love from the beginning. This one is also lightweight and is super smooth and easy to apply.
- Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist with SPF 50 is one of the best ways to reapply face sunscreen without ruining your makeup. I also love their powder but find the mist is something I reach for more often.
- Tatcha Silken Pore Perfecting Sunscreen with SPF 35 remains one of my go-to’s for the face, it doubles as a primer for me and never clogs my pores. It does adhere to the skin so make sure to double cleanse in the afternoon to wash it off properly!
- Chanel CC Cream* with SPF 50 is one of the few CC creams I’ve actually liked. I did a full review here with swatches of all the colors. I hope they expand the color range!
- Eric Javits Hampton Straw Sun Hat is one of the best hats I’ve bought for sun protection. From browsing these online I didn’t this was going to be worth the splurge. After seeing it in person though I bought one and feel it was 100% worth the splurge. This prevents the scalp and head from getting burned better than any other hat I’ve tried. The top is woven and also lined to block 95% of the UVA and UVB rays. They have several styles but I opted for the Hamptons one. You can also see it worn in this post here.
- Neck masks and arm protectors are something both Andrew and I are looking into. We’ve researched a few online and I can share a better review once we’ve explored more options. There’s no escaping the sun here and it’s quite intense while driving so our arms get crispy. Sometimes I’ll bring a sweatshirt or extra scarf to cover my arms/legs in the car. Andrew bought a couple lightweight options that he’s been trying out the past few weeks. We noticed people who work at the beach here and in Miami are often covered head to toe with these – they wear them with their polos or shorts for extra coverage and still seem to be light enough to wear in the heat.
The humidity, heat, salt and wind at the beach has made my hair look so crazy Andrew asked me to do something about it. I’ve made an extra effort to pack things to look a little more presentable with my hair. Hair scarves and the silk hair ties have been lifesavers. I also pack a little comb or brush as it gets progressively windy later in the day.
For the face I typically just apply a little bit of bronzer on the cheeks before I leave the house and don’t do anything for touch ups for the rest of the day. A number of you have messaged me telling me you LOVE the Charlotte Tilbury Beach Sticks and I decided to reinvestigate. I’ve found that adding a little bit of cream color after the beach makes me look more alive and I’ve been reaching for them more frequently!
The Sisley Phyto-Blush Twists* have been a favorite for a cream to powder product for a couple years now. They launched two more colors sometime last year and it took me forever to try them but the two new ones are the best ones. Shade 5 Contour can double as a bronzer and Shade 6 Passion is the prettiest coral pink gold. I bought one of the Charlotte Tilbury Beach Sticks for a sheer glow. I had a few several years ago but gave them away in a beauty purge before during our cross-country move. I think Las Salinas is the prettiest pink with gold shimmer. Above I swatched with a heavy hand but all of these blend out for a sheerer wash of color.
Lip products are something I always bring multiples of everywhere. The best effortless beach colors are ones that have a tint + treatment in one like the NARS Lip Oil or Dior Addict Lip Glow. Ones I’ve had in rotation lately include the ones below. I don’t pack ALL of these with me, I usually have maybe 3-4 in my bag at any given time. These are the ones I have in frequent rotation:
- NARS Orgasm Oil-Infused Lip Tint (review and swatches here)
- Charlotte Tilbury Collagen Lip Bath (still think it’s way overpriced but really love how it makes the lips look, I just ordered the new tinted ones and will review soon)
- Chanel Rouge Coco Gloss* in Aurora (swatches here)
- Pat McGrath LUST Gloss* in Peach Perversion (swatches here)
- Bobbi Brown Crushed Lip Color* in Peach and Quiet (swatches here)
- Charlotte Tilbury Lip Lustre in Hall of Fame
- L’oreal Color Riche Shine in Shining Peach, best budget-beauty lip shines! (swatches here)
- Chanel Rouge Coco Flash in Flash (swatches here)
There are a few extra things I keep on hand with me for the just-in-case moments:
- Drunk Elephant Beste Jelly Cleanser in the mini is essential for us, we’ll use a water bottle if there’s no sink nearby. I started to develop a severe allergic reaction one day when we were out after testing a sunscreen. It didn’t start surfacing until about an hour after I applied it and my face was suddenly on fire. Andrew had one in his workout bag in the trunk of his car and since we were at a restaurant, I used this in their bathroom to wash it all off. Since that day I’ve always kept an extra cleanser with me just in case. I got mine with the Sephora Beauty Insider Birthday gift, wish they sold the mini! I do really like face wipes but they get really spendy with the amount I’ve gone through, also a regular cleanser just works better.
- Byredo Blanche Perfume is another essential, but really any travel size perfume is a must-have for me on the go. There are mosquitos and they love to bite me. They’re usually only out at dusk but depending on season sometimes they’re out more places than others. A spritz of perfume on the bite usually helps reduce swelling and itching. Otherwise my legs or arms can swell up to the size of a golf ball.
- Fenty Beauty Blotting Papers were so cute and come in this nifty dispenser I had to buy them. The paper is on the thin side but they seem to do the trick to blot shine. It’s super compact and has a tiny mirror which is convenient. I normally swear by the Tatcha Blotting Papers but wanted to give the Fenty ones a try. I like the Fenty packaging better, but the Tatcha papers perform better for me.
- Chanel Stylo Ombre Et Contour* makes for a quick and easy one and done eye look. Also kept with me just-in-case although definitely not essential.
- Other items shown: Truffle Clarity Mini, Rayban Sunglasses, Chanel Le Vernis in Purple Ray on the nails (review here), Aerin Comb and Slip Hair Scrunchie
For those who have been asking, I hope you found this post helpful on some beach beauty favorites! You can keep it as simple as your taste suits you. I do realize some of you don’t wear any makeup to the beach, especially if you swim, but sometimes it’s nice to have a few things on hand to put on afterwards if you don’t want to go bare faced!
If you have any beach beauty favorites let me know in the comments!
I’m hosting a giveaway! I’ve been such a huge fan of clear pouches I’m giving away 3 of The Daily Edited Clear Makeup Pouches. Open internationally but you must be 18 years or older to qualify. Simply enter through one of the steps in the widget below and complete at least one of the steps. The more steps you complete the more entries you will receive. Giveaway is not sponsored or affiliated, it will run through Wednesday May 29th, 11:45 PM EST. Three separate readers will be selected at random through the widget to each pick one of the Daily Edited Clear Makeup Pouch (can pick color and monogram letters). Winner will be selected within 72 hours after giveaway ends and emailed directly by me.
Press samples have a * next to them. Other items purchased by me. Giveaway not sponsored or affiliated.