Today I’m sharing what makeup I packed for a week of travel in December to California! I’ve also included a closer look at three of my favorite makeup bags that I’ve used numerous times for travel. When it comes to travel and makeup I bring more than I need because I’m always testing products even when I’m on vacation! I don’t always manage to blog or post reviews while I’m on-the-go but behind the scenes I’m always testing and trying out product. For those who want to know sweater worn above is the Everlane Cashmere Crew in Light Oatmeal, size I ordered is XS and it’s a perfect fit! The customer reviews online helped me decide what size to pick based on height and weight.
My recent travel skincare favorites are in this post here. Today’s roundup is all about makeup! I fit most of my makeup into 3 key makeup bags that I have used on many trips including:
- The Daily Edited Transparent Travel Case $90 (original version, current one has a wider leather strip on one side)
- The Daily Edited Large Cosmetic Case $120
- Truffle Clarity Jetset Case $88
All three pouches are ones I bought myself and since I ordered them the prices have gone up. If you see different prices on older posts it’s because they have changed! I do think they were all worth the price because all three have held up really well. If you click on the Travel Packing category you can see what I’ve packed on previous trips. I also usually bring a few of the cute Glossier Pouches that come with online orders because they’re nice to have to protect compacts or fragile items.
Beauty spill of items I packed. I brought my Dyson Supersonic Dryer with me because we were going to be staying with family for a large portion of the trip. Both of them were our brothers who have short hair and don’t use dryers because they don’t need to! For brushes I brought the T3 Vented Brush with me.
Truffle Jetset Clarity Case
An overwhelming number of you asked me about the photo I posted on Instagram above, in particular you wanted to know what brand of makeup bag held all the brushes and if they were full size or travel size tools. I always tag items in Instagram photos so all you have to do is tap the photo once to see brand tags. This one is the Truffle Jetset Clarity Case. It measures 7.5 x 5.25 x 2 inches and has one open compartment inside. The top and base has a clear plastic window so you can see what’s inside. I’m able to fit a lot inside, I have a bag spill of everything I was able to put in it.
All the brushes I brought are the full size options. Lately I’ve been really loving the Laura Mercier Makeup Brushes*. She redesigned them sometime last year and they’re what I’ve been reaching for the most. They’re synthetic and pick up powders really well for smooth application. I still also really love Wayne Goss Makeup Brushes* because they’re ultra soft and well made. Mine have held up over a few years and many washes. I’ve reviewed them here and here.
Other makeup products I fit inside include the:
- Pat McGrath Perma Precision Liquid Liner
- L’Oreal Lash Paradise Mascara Waterproof
- Tom Ford Waterproof Extreme Mascara
- Laura Mercier Caviar Eye Stick in Rosegold
- Sisley Waterproof Eyeliners x2*
- Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat in Pillow Talk
- Anastasia Brow Wiz in Caramel
- Anastasia Tweezers
- MAC Eyelash Curler
The Daily Edited Transparent Travel Case
I also really love The Daily Edited Transparent Cases which are a great dupe for the Anya Hindmarch Inflight cases, both compared and reviewed here.
It has two zippered compartments, one is deeper than the other. In the top I’m able to stack 2 Hourglass palettes, shadows and several foundations. If you’re packing liquids you’ll most likely have to put this into checked luggage. The bottom fit some Armani eyeshadow singles and the Anastasia Beverly Hills Soft Glam Palette perfectly.
Things packed inside include:
- 2 Hourglass 6-pan Palettes (holiday 2018 editions reviewed here and here)
- Armani Luminous Silk Foundation in 6.5
- Laura Mercier Flawless Fusion Foundation* in Buff
- Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter (review here)
- NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Ginger
- Armani Eyes to Kill Stellar Eyeshadows x4
- Hourglass Scattered Light Eyeshadows x5 (review here)
- Anastasia Soft Glam Eyeshadow Palette
- NARS Velvet Lip Glide in Roseland (review here)
- Fenty Beauty Gloss Bombs in Fenty Glow and Fussy (beauty looks here)
- Hourglass Arch Brow Tinted Brow Gel in Soft Brunette*
- Tom Ford Boys and Girls Lipstick in River (review here)
- Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution in Pillow Talk
The Daily Edited Large Cosmetic Case
I’ve owned The Daily Edited Large Cosmetic Case one for a long time now and after using it on many trips and several moves I still find it’s one of my favorites. You can monogram these and I’ve picked the smaller size font sometimes with the blind embossing instead of the gold. A number of you have asked for a review on the Cuyana Makeup bags which I still plan on doing, but for this trip I wanted to bring ones I knew would work for me. This one is roomy and sturdy for all a number of things I want to bring. I sometimes pack a couple to separate and organize products.
Inside this one:
- Atelier Travel Size Colognes, I love their Vanilla Insensee and Bois Blond for this time of year
- Urban Decay All Nighter Spray (mine was from a GWP), but they do have the travel size option with 1 oz/30 ml available individually
- IGK Jet Lag Dry Shampoo (mine is the mini)
- Kopari Coconut Deodorant Mini (full size reviewed here)
- Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Glow Powder*
- Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb in Diamond Milk (on the lips here)
- Moroccanoil Treatment mini size
- Tom Ford Eyeshadow Quad in Honeymoon
- Clinique Take the Day Off (also from a GWP)
- La Mer Pressed Powder
- Chanel La Creme Main Hand Cream
- Tatcha Mini Lipstick
One last look:
Overall I think I packed everything I could have possibly needed for this trip. We tend to travel and dress casually otherwise I would have brought some bolder lip colors. I could have packed a lot more lip gloss or lipstick but I felt like I kept reaching for the light and glossy gloss bombs from Fenty Beauty. The IGK Jet Lag Dry Shampoo was a life saver for me. I’m one who prefers to wash my hair daily but there were a couple days we were so tired by the end of the day all I could do was wash my face before passing out and falling into a deep sleep. The dry shampoo was great for 2nd and 3rd day hair in the mild California climate.
Hope you liked this post! Do you have any go-to travel makeup bags? When I traveled with a couple girl friends I was really surprised to see they use these large canvas zip organizers that unfold and hang to fit all their beauty needs. It literally fits EVERYTHING inside. I like to keep my things separated in little pouches but perhaps I need to investigate the larger beauty organizers for travel.
Press samples have a * next to them. All other items purchased on my own.