There have been a lot of lip launches from Tom Ford Beauty this fall with the Boys and Girls and also 40 new shades of their Lip Color and Lip Color Matte. I ordered a few online sight unseen from Sephora and one turned out to be a lot lighter than the online stock photo. Since these are extremely pricey I waited until these arrived at Neiman Marcus and picked up some more shades. In total I bought six colors. There were a lot of neutrals, light nudes, light pinks and some deeper color options as well. I found the mattes to be very matte so I decided to stick with the regular lip color creams.
For the most part I’ve found the Tom Ford Cream Lip Colors formula to be fuller coverage than the average lipstick. With the new shades I tested I found a few slightly different finishes. Some were sheerer than I’ve normally experienced. If you’ve missed previous reviews on Tom Ford Lip Colors, they are among my favorites for formulas. They have smooth even coverage. They’re super luxurious and don’t dry out my lips like some formulas do from other brands. Lasting power is pretty average. They will stay put as long as you don’t have contact with snacks or drinks, but they don’t stay put all day long. I find I have to reapply within a few hours. They feel comfortable on the lips without being heavy. The creams have a very natural looking sheen to the finish which I adore. My haul picks:
- Bad Lieutenant is a medium light neutral beige pink cream, this one has full coverage
- Sugar Glider is a gorgeous light mauve, I’m beyond obsessed with this one! Finish with this one is semi-sheer, it’s not as opaque as some of the creams
- Autoerotique is a medium peachy tan cream, this has medium coverage
- Spiced Honey is a pale nude pink, this has full coverage, the contrast with my natural lip color made it look a tiny bit streaky but it smooths out nicely
- Open Kimono is a shimmering light gold beige, this is the first Tom Ford shimmer lipstick I’ve tried that has some texture in the tube, the shimmer has some grit but on the lips there’s no gritty feel, this one is sheer but buildable
- Devore is a sheer neutral brown with pink tones
In sunlight with flash:
In sunlight without flash:
Below wearing Laura Mercier Flawless Fusion Foundation in Buff and La Mer The Powder (loose) to set. All lip swatches done on bare lips. It’s been a while since I’ve swatched Pink Dusk and Sable Smoke. I find both to be classics and still the best two colors in the lineup so I added them in lip swatches below.
Additional swatch comparisons to Boys and Girls in Katherine (lip swatched here), NARS Audacious Lipstick in Barbara (lip swatch here) and Tom Ford Ultra Rich Lip Color in Revolve Around Me (lip swatch here):
For those curious about which colors are the 40 new shades, they are split into 9 color categories according to the Tom Ford look book I received in my e-mail:
- Nude Creams: Naked Ambition, Spiced Honey, Erogenous, Bad Lieutenant, All Mine
- Nude Mattes: Deceiver, Heavenly Creature
- Beige Creams: Open Kimono, Satin Chic, Autoerotique, Devore, Magnetic Attraction
- Beige Mattes: Universal Appeal, Wicked Ways
- Pink Creams: Paper Doll, Pretty Persuasive
- Mauve Creams: Sugar Glider, Night Mauve, Adora
- Pop Creams: Playgirl, Foxfire, Stimulant, Electrique, Exotica
- Coral Mattes: Age of Consent, The Perfect Kiss
- Red Creams: Vermillion-Aire, Dressed to Kill, Jasmin Rouge, Original Sin
- Red Mattes: Best Revenge, Night Porter
- Burgandy Creams: Dangerous Beauty, Love Crime, Discretion
- Noir Creams: Impassioned, Near Dark
- Noir Mattes: In Deep, Fetishist
There was a lot to sort through at the counters and with all the new and existing colors mixed together I don’t know that I got a good look at all the new ones. I did have a list with me of what to check out so I think I covered most of the neutrals. The quality and lasting power are still on point for what I’ve experienced with Tom Ford lip colors. I would have probably passed on Spiced Honey (this is a bit pale on me) and Open Kimono (I prefer Guilty Pleasure), but luckily I can make both work with a good lip liner like MAC Boldly Bare, Whirl or Stripdown (swatched here).
My favorite colors are still Pink Dusk and Sable Smoke for everyday neutrals, but I’m really happy with my picks. As one who finds light mauves difficult to wear with my olive complexion, I’m 100% in love with Sugar Glider. For light pinks I was really tempted by Paper Doll but I wanted to limit myself to 6 max for now as holiday is coming up and there is still a lot to cover.
Did you try any of the new shades yet? What did you think?