Chanel Les Sautoirs de Coco Collection for Spring 2016

There’s a new pearly-themed beauty collection that just launched for Chanel this spring. The collection is called Les Sautoirs de Coco which features a mix of pale pearly shades and bright pinks. In past years these white pearl-themed collections seem to have been Asia exclusive colors, sometimes launching later in the US in late summer as Nordstrom Anniversary exclusives. Last year Chanel launched the Collection La Perle de Chanel in the US. This year they have the Les Sautoirs de Coco and it’s nice to see them launching these kinds of mini collections in the US (although it’s hard to believe a year has already flown by!). The inspiration and theme according to Chanel:

“Inspired by Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel’s love of pearls, a new makeup collection glimmers with iridescent and luminous shades of white, pink and soft grey, while classic black elements bring an unexpected contrast to the soft colour range.”

I ordered items sight unseen. Based on the online stock photos I knew this collection would either be hit or miss as some of the pink lip colors look very cool-toned, but I decided to go outside of my comfort zone and see if I could try a few new brighter shades. A few weeks ago this was exclusive to Chanel.com, but now appears to be at counters and online at Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. What I purchased:
Glossimers in Babiole, Pinctada and Clarté ($30 each)

Swatches of the items and then some thoughts below on each item:

I’ll start with my favorite item in the collection which is the Perles Et Fantaisies Highlighter. This appears to be somewhere in between a cream and powder. It’s neither creamy nor powdery but it is very smooth with a very subtle glow. I swatched it above with a very heavy hand so you can see the color differences between each shade. On my medium olive skin the highlighter shades both look the same and give a very delicate luminous glow. On the cheeks it gives a soft hint of shimmer. This is one of the most natural-looking highlighters I’ve ever tried. If you find most highlighters too shimmery, too glowy or too frosty, you might want to look into this one because the shimmer is very finely milled. Color payoff is very natural on my cheeks when applied with a blush brush. If you want a more visible glow but want something natural I’d recommend you check out the Hourglass Ambient Strobe Lighting Powders or Hourglass Luminous Light instead. If you’re ok with some serious glow, check out the Natasha Denona Glowing Skin System. The overall effect of the Perles Et Fantaisies Highlighter is very natural but still noticeable.

Given the number of highlighters and glowy products that are out on the market right now, I can’t personally deem it a must-have. I think there are a lot of other options that are more affordable. Still the quality is there with this one. It adds a nice subtle glow without emphasizing pores or making the skin look overly shiny. I do think because of the semi-sheer finish that some will find this simply too natural or sheer to justify splurging. I have no regrets buying it and I do really like it though.

Swatched with a very heavy hand:

Next are two items for eyes. There’s a new Les 4 Ombres in Tissé de Lune. This one reminds me of an older Chanel quad that I cannot recall the name of. This is a pearly quad with the baked formula. I’m not a fan of the baked formula and wish Chanel would skip that kind of formula entirely. The pigment is decent with this one though. The colors apply with visible pigment and they aren’t chalky. However the 3 lighter shades when applied on the eyes end up all looking the same on my skin. They are distinct if you swatch side by side, but once you layer they all kind of disappear into the same light colored shimmer. It will give the eyes a very bright glow kind of highlight that I find pretty. They are pale shades but not too pale or garish (sometimes light shades have a sharp contrast to my olive skintone).

The quad layered on the lids – as you can see below the colors are pretty sheer and all the shades look similar on the eyes. The flash washed out the color a little bit but it leaves a subtle gleam of shimmer on the lids:

There’s a new Illusion D’Ombre in Iridescent. This one is really pretty and gives the lids a wash of opal shimmer that flashes tiny bits of pink. You can layer for more intensity but this is one of those nice brightening kinds of eyeshadows that you can wear all over the lids. It has a very slight duo chrome quality without being too shimmery or frosty. I really like this one.

Swatched below, left is blended and right is layered:

Last but not least are three Glossimers in Clarté which is a sheer opal pink shimmer, Babiole a cool-toned bright raspberry fuschia cream and Pinctada which is a cool-toned bright pink shimmer. I absolutely love Clarté which gives the lips a really pretty wash of color. It has a similar effect to Songe (which I couldn’t find in my stash to compare) in the sense it gives the lips a gorgeous glow with a hint of iridescent shine.

Although I am a neutral lip lover at heart, I do find Pinctada a wearable color even though it’s on the bright side. It’s cool-toned but not too cool that I find it turns blue on my skin.

Babiole is something that doesn’t work for me. The pigment and color payoff is very good, but because it’s so blue-based it contrasts with my skintone and looks garish. I think it looks ok in the detail swatch below, but when you see it against the whole face it just clashes with my olive skintone. I think it looks absolutely gorgeous on Christine from Temptalia – so if you haven’t seen her post, be sure to check out her swatches.

If you’re a Chanel fan and have been curious about this collection, I hope you found this review helpful. I think there are definitely some items worth checking out – my top three picks are the highlighter, Illusion D’Ombre and Clarté Glossimer. I do think if you’re trying to narrow down your purchases for highlighter this season, skip the Chanel highlighter and opt for something from Hourglass, Natasha Denona or Tom Ford instead. That being said if you’re always in search of something with a subtle glow and find most highlighters too glowy, this one might be one you have been searching for – it has the most finely milled glow that I’ve ever seen in any highlighter. I’m personally not crazy about the Tissé Ombre de Lune eyeshadow quad or the pink glossimers, but that’s mainly because of my color preferences. For lips Chanel just launched the Rouge Coco Stylo lipsticks and the colors look very promising so I would say save your $$$ for those instead. I just received 3 colors today and will have a post next week with swatches – but here’s a quick peek at #218 Script which is a perfectly creamy pigmented neutral beige pink with a bit of brown.

You can find the Chanel Les Sautoirs de Coco Collection now online at Chanel.com, Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. All the items are limited-edition.
Did you check out anything from this launch yet? What did you think?

Comments

• February 10, 2016 / 11:20 pm

I totally get how you feel. I'm on highlighter overload, literally.

1. February 5, 2016 / 10:57 pm

Love your posts as always. I actually bought almost all of the collection, including the Rouge Allure that you passed on (it's about the same tone as Babiole). I adore the whole collection and find it wearable. Even though my skintone is totally different, I had the same experience with the quad. It's one of my favorite collections from Chanel in a long, long time. (I did post swatches of everything on NW15 on my site though). I seriously do think you have the best blog out there!

• February 10, 2016 / 11:21 pm

I think the Rouge Allure is something that will flatter NW skintones better than it will on me (I've been matched to C and NC). Thank you for the sweet comments on my blog 🙂

2. Christina
    February 5, 2016 / 11:48 pm

I have the highlighter as well and love it! I love it because the color is just perfect for my ultra fair skin, and I like that it's not metallic or frosty. I passed on the Illusion D'Ombre but seeing your swatches makes me want it for that white undertone. I have a lot of pinkish duochrome pearly shades, but this one looks prettier somehow. Great swatches and thanks for the review!

• February 10, 2016 / 11:21 pm

If you can test the Illusion D'Ombre in person I recommend doing so!

3. February 6, 2016 / 12:24 am

That highlighter looks amazing. I have a very old highlighter from Chanel that I've been still using and the staying power is good. I may need to move on and purchase some new products because all of them look so lovely! Thank you for your thorough reviews and swatches. Always great information!

• February 10, 2016 / 11:21 pm

Glad you found the post helpful!

4. February 6, 2016 / 1:09 am

Script looks perfect on you!

• February 10, 2016 / 11:21 pm

Thank you!

5. February 6, 2016 / 1:59 am

Thanks, Sabrina, beautiful as always! I had the luck to be in the New York saks last night with the national MUA and I had no intention of buying the quad but he put together the most beautiful look on me that I snapped it up. He started with the peachy tone all over the lid and then layer the silver over that ended the black just in the corner. It really popped! and now I have to go and buy the Coco Stylo 🙂

• February 6, 2016 / 5:28 pm

Hi Bella,
      I'm always amazed at the artistry involved when a nationally recognized MA can take a quad and work it in ways that are just perfect for us! The look he created sounds beautiful.

• February 10, 2016 / 11:22 pm

Hi Bella – that look sounds amazing! Did you end up checking out the new Rouge Coco Stylos?

6. February 6, 2016 / 2:23 am

I can hardly wait to see more of the RC Stylo and read what you think about them. Script is so lovely: neutral without being deathly. And, with your coloring, it's perfection.

I had such high hopes for Les Sautoirs and when I first saw it at the counter, was completely taken with it. When I starting swatching; however, it quickly became apparent that it wasn't going to play nice with my coloring. It's pretty, just not for me 🙁 The only think I picked up was the Glossimer in Pinctada. Clarté was also lovely, but I already had Guerlain's Gloss D'Enfer in Reflets Étoiles from their holiday collection. It's clear with an abundance of multicolored shimmer that makes for a stunning topper as well as looking lush over the natural medium-dark rose of my lips.

• February 10, 2016 / 11:23 pm

Hi Eileen – I suspect Script is the most neutral of the bunch. So far my first impressions are very positive. These have really good color payoff and feel super creamy.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Les Sautoirs – if I had seen everything in person first, I probably would have skipped both glossimers and the quad.

• March 21, 2016 / 10:02 pm

Hi Sabrina, do you mean the pink glossimers? Not the Clarte though? I am thinking about getting the IDO and the glosses Clarte and Pinctata as I love bright pink glosses with shimmer? The quad does not seem worth the money. Thanks for a great and honest review again!

7. February 6, 2016 / 3:07 am

I always love quads like that because I love a shimmery lighter color with a dark one by the lash line on my eye shape. I really enjoyed all the swatches I've seen on various blogs for the lips so I'll have to seek them out.

• February 10, 2016 / 11:24 pm

Sounds like the quad was made just for you!

February 6, 2016 / 3:39 am

Oh, I was so looking forward to your review of this. I passed on Babiola and Clarté (might have to rethink Clarté). I love the Id'O and it works great under the quad-makes it more luminous. The new Rouge Coco Stylo looks lovely. Thanks for the great review!
    Tanja

• February 10, 2016 / 11:24 pm

Glad you liked the review!

9. February 6, 2016 / 7:26 am

That highlighter is just so beautyful!

It is a shame thought that the light shades in that quad are so similar. And yeah, I am not a fan of the baked formula either for eyes (I love it for blush!) so I would be very happy if they skipped it as well.

As for those new lipsticks. Wow, they look like they will be very flattering!

• February 10, 2016 / 11:25 pm

Might just be my skintone that the eye colors all look the same. It happens with lots of other brands too.

10. February 6, 2016 / 11:48 am

That eyeshadow palette and blush look gorgeous!!

11. February 6, 2016 / 2:21 pm

Thanks Sabrina…I think I might order the Clarté – it looks gorgeous on you. I'm so looking to your Stylo swatches – please post them soon!

• February 10, 2016 / 11:25 pm

Will do as soon as I can. I have 3, still waiting on others to arrive.

12. February 6, 2016 / 3:06 pm

Wonderful reviews, as usual! How would you compare this highlighter to Dior Glowing Pink?

13. February 6, 2016 / 4:34 pm

I didn't buy anything from this collection. I felt the look on the model was all about the skin, so I'm waiting for the new foundation to arrive in March. I was in San Francisco yesterday so I tripped into the Chanel boutique and they had the new nail polish and gel top coat formula as well as the new Rouge Coco Stylos. I bought 212 Recit. I like it so much I ordered another one from Chanel online in 216 Lettre. I think I'm going to need more of these.

• February 10, 2016 / 11:34 pm

Smart move … save for the items that speak to your heart 🙂

14. February 6, 2016 / 5:22 pm

I'm itching for swatches of the Chanel Rouge Coco Stylos! I'm pretty sure that script won't show up on me, but it's so perfect on you!

• February 10, 2016 / 11:34 pm

It's pretty pigmented!

15. February 6, 2016 / 6:58 pm

Woohoo! For some reason, I'm ridiculously excited about the RC Stylos and so I can't wait for your review. Script looks great on you!

• February 10, 2016 / 11:34 pm

Still waiting on my order to arrive so I can review all the colors. Will post as soon as I can!

16. Gail
    February 6, 2016 / 8:45 pm

Script looks gorgeous on you Sabrina! I've bought several of the Stylos already too and really love everything about them!

• February 10, 2016 / 11:35 pm

Thanks Gail! Yes I am already in love. It was love at first swipe.

17. February 7, 2016 / 6:35 am

I've been keeping an eye out for the highlighter release in Australia, but now you e just got me all excited about the rouge coco Stylos. That shade looks beautiful.
    The Beauty Bloss

• February 10, 2016 / 11:35 pm

I hope it arrives in Australia!

18. February 11, 2016 / 4:53 am

Love the Script on you! I have similar coloring so I went ahead and bought one. Are you wearing a lip liner in that swatch? If so, which one?