The MAC x Nicki Minaj collection just launched which includes an entire collection of nude lipsticks and glosses. It’s literally a nude lip lover’s dream come true. There are two special edition nudes that were created by Nicki Minaj that come in gorgeous pink packaging along with eighteen other lipsticks and six lipglasses (some repromotes, some are new). I’m one of the biggest fans for nude lips but since I have olive skin and a naturally pigmented lip undertone finding one that works is super tricky. I’ve found over the years the trick with a lot of nude lip shades is that layering with pencils and gloss is key. Luckily brands have expanded their range of neutrals so I’ve actually found quite a few that don’t require extra work.
I bought the entire MAC x Nicki Minaj collection online since MAC select members had early access. The same day my order arrived a beautiful press package arrived so I ended up with two of everything. I’m passing along the duplicates I ordered to a few friends and my niece, but stay tuned I’ll be doing a giveaway on another post later this week. Many of these shades are on the lighter side and a lot look very similar on me (like super pale concealer). Also because I have a pigmented lip my natural lip shows through on many of the swatches which looks like it could be a dark lipliner but I assure you it’s not. It’s just my natural lip tone showing through.
What I have reviewed and swatched for this collection:
- MAC x Nicki Minaj Lipstick The Pink Print
- MAC x Nicki Minaj Lipstick Nicki’s Nude
- Lipglass in: Under the Sheets, N-U-D-E, Please Me
- Lipsticks in: Gossamer Wing, 2N, Bare Bling, Creme d’Nude, The Right Note, Derriere, Japanese Maple, Stripped, A Girl’s Got Needs, Easy Babe, Age Sex Location, Among the Fireflies, Playing Koi, Bosom Friend, Pretty Please, Baby’s All Right, Patisserie, Mmmmmmm
Up first are the MACxNicki Minaj Lipstick colors in The Pink Print and Nicki’s Nude. Both have an amazing smooth opaque formula that covers the lip in one swipe. The Pink Print is a pale opaque pink peach however it’s on the soft side and the lipstick broke in the tube. To continue using it I’m most likely going to have to put it into a pot. A quick look at other reviews shows that I’m not the only one with the issue of breakage. Just something to keep in mind when applying – apply if very gently. Nicki’s Nude is a deeper baby peach. This one isn’t quite as soft for me but still smooth and soft.
Next are the MAC x Nicki Minaj nude lipsticks which I’ve split into two groups (based on order they were displayed in the box). Shown below include:
- Gossamer Wing a pale soft shimmer pale beige
- 2N light cream colored nude
- Bare Bling light beige tan cream
- Creme d’Nude peachy cream nude
- The Right Note light-medium tan
- Derriere muted medium brown
- Japanese Maple pink peach sheer
- Stripped medium tan nude
- A Girl’s Got Needs medium tan brown
- The Pink Print and Nicki’s Nude added in the swatch below
Foundation worn is Tom Ford Waterproof Foundation in Natural (my MAC Studio Fix Fluid equivalent is NC35/37, these shades are also swatched here). As mentioned above all the lip swatches are on bare lips. There may be a visible dark ring around the edges as that is my natural lip showing through. All lip swatches done on bare lips.
Next set of nude lipstick colors include the following:
- Easy Babe is a cafe latte brown
- Age Sex Location is a slightly deeper brown neutral
- Among the Fireflies is a mauve pink brown
- Playing Koi is a pale warm pink (on me it’s like light concealer)
- Bosom Friend is a pale cool pink
- Pretty Please is a sheer lustre pink with a tiny bit of shimmer
- Baby’s All Right is a muted cool mauve pink
- Patisserie is a sheer glossy pink
- Mmmmmmm is a deeper mauve pink rose
MAC x Nicki Minaj Lipglasses shown below in:
- Under the Sheets is a sheer sparkly pale pink
- N-U-D-E is a soft peachy pink shimmer (reminds me of Love Nectar)
- Please Me is a pale pink cream, alone it’s a bit on the streaky side
- Beaux (swatched/reviewed here) is a soft brown tan shimmer
- Spite (swatched/reviewed here) is a cool toned neutral pink-brown-taupe
- Spice (swatched/reviewed here) is a warm tan pink
I didn’t swatch any of the lip liners repromoted with this collection but in case you’re looking for a nude. I swatched quite a few side by side from various brands in my Neutral Lip Pencil post here.
Bottom line, even though many of these colors are hard for me to wear alone, I still think this launch is a nude lip lover’s dream. If you search for swatches of these online you’ll see many of the colors that look like concealer on me look quite different on those with lighter skin or lip tones. Playing Koi for example actually looks more true to tube on some while on me it’s just a washed out mess.
My favorites include: The Right Note, Japanese Maple, Stripped, A Girl’s Got Needs, Age/Sex/Location, Among the Fireflies, Patisserie and MMMMMM. I think Patisserie is the most natural looking neutral on my complexion and I think it would most likely be one of the more universal shades in the bunch. For the lipglasses nothing would have stopped me from buying Under the Sheets and NUDE however I do think they are similar to existing shades.
What’s your favorite nude lip right now? I know everyone has a different definition of nude so I’d be interested to hear what yours is!
MAC x Nicki Minaj collection provided by MAC for review. Items also purchased by me.