I fell in love with a lot this past month. I have a roundup of my favorites in beauty and skincare today along with my husband’s October grooming lineup. Cases shown above are from Muji (left) and Truffle (right).
Skincare and Haircare
Up first is hair care and skin care. The items in last month’s roundup are still in heavy rotation right now but instead of re-posting everything, I’ve highlighted some new favorites for this month.
Featured above from left to right:
- Original and Mineral No Knott Detangling Spray is something I’ve been loving for months now. I bought this in a travel set online which has mini sizes. It’s a miracle worker for my hair – I spritz it on after I wash my hair and I can brush my hair without any tugging or pulling. I’ve ordered the full size from Net-A-Porter. It has a lightweight clean scent, the product is certified organic and made in the USA. It adds a tiny bit of shine.
- Kate Somerville Age Arrest Serum is something I’ve been using the past two months and it’s possibly my new favorite serum. It’s part of the anti-aging line and it’s a skin renewal product. It contains tetrapeptides which help support collagen and elastin production. It also has marine extracts to reduce lines, wrinkles and sooth skin. One to two pumps of this gives the skin a smooth base and it really does make lines disappear in front of my eyes. It gives the skin a smooth look and feel unlike any serum I’ve tried before. I haven’t tried the cream or other items in the line but I’m super curious now.
- Pixi Glow Tonic has been raved about on so many blogs I read (it seems to have a cult following) I had to stop by my Target to check it out. I picked up the mini size and have been using it daily (morning and night after washing). I can’t say that it gives my skin a glow, but as an exfoliating toner I am impressed. It brightens and makes the skin feel clean and hydrated. There’s no stinging. It’s very gentle. For those who are anti-alcohol in skincare this one is alcohol-free. It’s seemed to keep my skin clear and texture seems better.
- Molton Brown Replenishing Hand Cream in Gingerlily is a go-to right now. I’m really a huge fan of all the Molton Brown hand creams, but there’s something refreshing and bright about Gingerlily that lifts the mood. You can also find it in this set here and also here. This weekend they have a sale at Moltonbrown.com. Receive 10% off orders $65+ with code FALL10, receive 20% off orders $95+ with code FALL20 at checkout.
- L’Occitane Immortelle Precious Mist is one of my top two picks for face mists right now. The bottle dispenses a superfine mist and it’s ultra refreshing and lightweight. Skin feels well hydrated but not overly moisturized. I love the fresh smell it has.
- Erborian Bamboo Waterlock has been a favorite for moisture masks. It’s a gel-like green mask. I featured it a few weeks ago in my Korean Beauty roundup. You can read the full review here.
For makeup, I’ve been really loving neutral lips. Lip glosses and lip sticks seem to be what I’ve been gravitating towards a lot lately. There are a lot of really good rich-in-pigment formulas these days.
From left to right:
- Sephora Pro Full Coverage Airbrush #53 is hands down my favorite foundation brush right now. It gives smooth streak-free coverage for liquid foundations. I like the Mini #53.5 version as well for cream contours, but the full size is better for foundation. Find the full review here.
- Marc Jacobs Beauty O!Mega Mascara is something I’ve used up and repurchased. It’s something I’ve been reaching for because it’s super dark and rich in color. The brush is well designed so it defines and separates lashes but is also volumizing. On me it doesn’t smudge or flake.
- Club Clio Waterproof Pen Liner in Kill Black is at the top of my list for glossy liquid liners. I got this in the Birchbox From Korea With Love set and I’ve been hooked. It dries to a glossy finish. It’s cry proof (lasted through a tear-jerker movie for me). You can find it at Birchbox (waitlisted), Peach and Lily (in a set), Club Clio and Amazon.
- MAC Vamplify Lip Glosses launched months ago. I was super late to the game with this and by the time they popped on my radar almost all the colors sold out. The good news is Spanking Haute and Tuned in restocked online. I ordered them immediately. I hope MAC makes them permanent, these are really good creamy full coverage glosses.
- MAC Subculture is my perfect nude pink your lips but better lip liner. Swatches and roundup of neutral lipliners in this post here.
- Chanel Glossimers in Beige Star 206 and Rose Tendre 204 are still in heavy rotation. They were part of the Les Beiges collection this year. Swatches + review here. For holiday both colors are also in this Turn Up The Shine Glossimer Trio Set.
- For lipsticks, October’s top three favorites are the Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution in Very Victoria (reviewed here), Buxom Bold Gel Lipstick in Rebel Rose (swatches here) and Dior Addict Fluid Stick in Avante Garde (swatches here). All three are neutrals that wear beautifully for everyday.
- The Charlotte Tilbury The Retoucher Concealer in #3 has been really good for concealing under the eyes and brightening the complexion. Swatches of all the Charlotte Tilbury concealer shades in this Concealer Roundup here.
- Last but not least is the Edward Bess All Over Seduction in Sunlight. It’s still my holy grail cream luminizer. It’s perfect for cheeks and eyes. I’ve hit pan on mine again and just opened up a new one.
My husband rounded up several of his grooming favorites from the past month. Some he tried first in sample mini sizes from various gift with purchases or samples I got for him. There are a few he liked so much that he bought the full size of. Others are repeat staples. From left to right below:
- Jack Black Epic Moisture Nourishing Oil is a lightweight pre-shave oil. According to my husband this is the best one he’s tried so far. Pre-shave oils are designed to prepare the face for shaving by moisturize the skin and creating a barrier in between the skin and razor. It’s been instrumental in preventing razor burn. He likes that it comes beautifully packaged in a large container. Most other pre-shave oils come in small plastic bottles. The one from Jack Black lasts longer because of the size. It also comes in glass which makes it sturdy. It has no scent which is a huge plus compared to other brands that often smell earthy or like vegetable oil.
- Kiehl’s Ultimate Strength Hand Salve is a hand cream he got in the Men’s Starter Kit. He’s completely obsessed with this and keeps stealing mine even though he has two of his own. He’s really picky with hand creams. Scent and texture are key because he doesn’t like heavily scented hand lotions. The Kiehl’s has a soft scent but it disappears after a few minutes. Texture is also important, he likes this one because it absorbs quickly into the skin and doesn’t have any greasy residue but hydrates the hands really well. You can find it in a number of gift sets this holiday. If you’re looking for a good one for your dad, brother, boyfriend or husband, the Costello Tagliapietra for Kiehl’s Ultimate Man Full Body Refueling Set is a really good one. It also has the Ultimate Man Body Scrub Soap which is another staple/favorite.
- Baxter of California is a line my husband recently started testing. He ordered the Herbal Mint Toner and Shave Tonic to start. In terms of toner he says he’s not a toner kind of guy but since I told him it’s something I found essential in my skincare routine he looked for one to purchase and test out. He’s liked the Baxter Herbal Mint Toner enough to keep using it (he’s about 1/2 way through the bottle). It makes his skin feel clean but moisturized. He likes that it has Witch Hazel which helps calm the skin. The Shave Tonic is something he says is kick a** awesome. For him packaging is key and the glass sturdy bottle and color of the green liquid is amazing for him. He uses this as the first step in shaving to prep the skin. It’s also really good post-shave to moisturize the skin.
- For hair Drybar The Chaser Shine Pomade is still a regular staple for grooming his hair (it’s also my favorite). It’s great for shine and styling but for him, once he puts it on, he can’t touch his hair for the rest of the day or else there is glossy residue that will transfer to hands, hats or the headrest of the car. He tested out a mini size of Baxter’s Grooming Lotion and says that it’s better for everyday. It does the same thing and makes hair more manageable but without the added shine. Comparing the two, he prefers the Baxter feel and look. His hair is still soft and not greasy. However he likes the way the Drybar Chaser looks better.
- For cologne, I got him a mini sample of Dior Sauvage (Sephora Beauty Insider 250 point perk). He likes it as a good everyday cologne that is suitable for year round wear. He says the intensity is just right that it’s strong enough to smell manly but not so overpowering that it’s overwhelming. In terms of lasting power he says it lasts just as long as Tom Ford and Chanel. It will stay on through lunch time before he notices it disappears. The scent is mild enough that he can touch up mid-day without feeling like he doused himself with cologne. He likes it enough that he’s willing to buy the full size.
- Harry’s After Shave Lotion is one of his favorite after shave lotions because of the packaging and texture. He likes that it moisturizes the face and helps the skin heal after shaving. It smells clean and isn’t heavy. The dispenser pump packaging is a huge plus for him.
- Last but not least is the Nuxe Men 24 Hour Protection Deodorant. I bought this for him since he liked the Men’s Shower Gel from the line. He’s usually not a fan of rollerball deodorants but he gave this a try and it’s the best men’s deodorant he has tried. It has no alcohol or aluminum salts. It dries quickly, after he showers and puts it on, it’s dried by the time he puts on his shirt. It leaves no white marks or residue. It prevents sweaty patches on the shirt. It is the best thing he’s tried that prevents under arm odor. He has super sensitive skin that peels or gets irritated with a lot of deodorants, with this one his skin is perfectly fine without any reactions. You can find it at a number of different places. I’ve ordered from Nuxe. He’s ordered some from Amazon.com.
That wraps up our October beauty and grooming favorites! I hope enjoyed reading about what we tested and loved this past month. As usual I’d love to hear about your top beauty and grooming favorites. If you have any new discoveries please share in the comments!
Press samples in this post sent for review consideration include items from Kate Somerville, Molton Brown, Buxom Cosmetics and Erborian.