On My Reading List

Currently reading …

• Parisian Chic by Ines de la Fressangethanks to reviews from Café Makeup & Habitually Chic!
  • How Luxury Lost Its Luster by Dana Thomasthanks to Laura R for the recommendation!
  • NARS Makeup Your Mind Express Yourself inspired to try and re-create one of the looks as shown on Karla Sugar
  • Nathan Branch I can’t narrow down just one post, his entire blog is a must-read
  • J.Crew has a new blog 770/Behind the Line
  • Brooklyn Blonde is another must-read for inspiration
  • Kendi Everyday mixes and matches (love everything!)
  • Into the Gloss interviews Jessica Stam to see what’s on her top shelf
  • Cute and Mundane does a lovely feature on NARS Luxor Multiple
  • The Ultimate Makeup gives a lovely preview of Le Metier de Beaute’s Silk Road Nail Polishes

What are you reading right now? Any books you’d like to recommend?

One last reminder, if you didn’t vote, please let me know if you are on Twitter at this poll posted here. Thanks!

Comments

1. August 13, 2011 / 1:11 am

Just bought the Ines de la Fressange book. haven't had a proper look at it, yet.

Sabrina, there is that amazing Assouline bookstore in South Coast Plaza. I want to live in that store! I would like one of each, frankly. Take a look around the store! Any of the books in that store would be endless hours of FUN! You are fortunate, there are not very many of those stores in existence! I won't say it's the only reason I make trips to the area from LA, but it is a motivating factor!

August 13, 2011 / 3:38 am

The correct title of the Dana Thomas book is "How Luxury Lost Its Luster". Also, there's no apostrophe in the "its", since in this case it is a possessive pronoun, not a contraction for it is.

3. August 13, 2011 / 8:05 am

Finally got back to Bujold and Miles Vorkosigan! I've been seriously neglecting it because of Larsson's triology 'Millenium' which I read in few days, day after day! I was like crazy until I finished it, lol!

4. Nemo
    August 13, 2011 / 8:53 am

Sabrina, this is off the subject. But–some time ago you did a comparison on an Armani eye palette and the CHANEL spices eye quad. You said they would look good on a fair skinned, blue or green eyed girl; you were right! I have that coloring, and I love Spices. Here is my Q: what do you think of CHANEL's Demure eye quad? would those colors work for me, too?

5. August 13, 2011 / 12:46 pm

I love to start my day with the gorgeous lifestyle blog Quintessence. (www.quintessenceblog.com)

She covers the worlds of design, art, fashion, food, travel and wine beautifully and always with gorgeous photos.

6. August 13, 2011 / 1:25 pm

I've got both the Ines and NARS books and enjoy them both!

7. Bina
    August 13, 2011 / 4:21 pm

Did you see the page on Tom Ford cosmetics (p. 41) in the Neiman's September magazine? O. M. G.

8. August 13, 2011 / 11:03 pm

I have Dana Thomas' book is "How Luxury Lost Its Luster" & quite enjoyed it. It's a real eye opener. I didn't care for Innes's book – seemed overly pedestrian. Good for teenagers of people still finding themselves.

9. August 14, 2011 / 2:13 am

Thank you so much for the link! I was so excited when I found out that I almost choked on the salad I was eating (oops) =)

I've took my Makeup Your Mind book out recently as well. I've been combing through it to find interesting colors and eye inspirations I might be able to get away with at work. However, I find myself more drawn to the bold red-orange lips like heatwave. It might be an effect of the vibrant flame color in the most recent JCrew catalog!

10. Sophia1105
    August 14, 2011 / 6:48 am

Sabrina, if you would be so kind as to share your thoughts, a bit of a book review, on the Parisian Chic book or any other books you have found enjoyable, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am reading "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers" and trying to make peace with stress.

I love to read but have hit a dry spot for some time now.

All the best to you.

11. meg
    August 15, 2011 / 1:29 am

Loved Deluxe and Parisian Chic. I highly recommend Bringing Home the Birkin – snarky and fun.