Chanel Péridot #531 Le Vernis Re-Visited

Since reviewing Chanel Péridot 531 Le Vernis last week (see all three fall shades here) I’ve received a few questions asking to describe this color in a bit more detail. As fall trickles in-stores and you see more reviews of this color, you will see that Péridot is such a complex unique color making it almost impossible for to describe in words. Looking in the bottle, I see glowing yellow gold that flashes different variations of brown, green and yellow pearl. The closest thing I can think of is that it reminds me of a scarab beetle. Depending on the angle I hold my hand, sometimes I see a lot more green than gold – but regardless of lighting and angles, I always see more than one color and my fingers glow.

On my fingers it’s predominantly yellow/gold and the green flashes on the edges. Initially I did not like. After playing with it a few more days, I still am not completely won over. No matter what angle I look at it, Péridot just appears so unflattering on me. Still it’s extremely unique and the complexity keeps me interested. I hope these photos will give you a better idea of how it might look in real life.

See Péridot swatched here on these other amazing sites as well:
The Purse Forum here and here

Comments

1. Christa
    June 27, 2011 / 3:39 am

It's a beautiful color, but I don't think it would work on my nails (I have a fair, yellow-toned complexion). It would look beautiful someone with darker skin though, especially with Egyptian-inspired colors. Still, I'm oddly drawn to Peridot and can't help but think how beautiful it would be as an eyeshadow…

2. June 27, 2011 / 3:57 am

Thank you for beautiful picture and more detailed review!
    I juts put Peridot on my nails and didn't get the taste of color yet. It's very unique but I feel slightly uncomfortable with it, I've to get used to it.
    Is it "Chanel-y" enough for you?

3. June 27, 2011 / 5:10 am

Such a pretty color! I love the shimmers and how it has both yellow and green. Thanks for the pics~ I don't think it would look good on me, but I think it suites your skin tone nicely.

4. June 27, 2011 / 5:12 am

omg this color is AMAZING! I love it, I think it looks gorgeous on you! So Chanel I think – and thank you for your shoutout earlier, I'm glad you liked the Hermes post! 🙂

5. June 27, 2011 / 8:35 am

I think it looks beautiful on you. I can't wait to get hold of it and Graphite when it comes out here.

6. June 27, 2011 / 10:05 am

Gorgeous! Goes really well with the Prada fabric 😉

June 27, 2011 / 10:20 am

i work in a laboratory type classroom specializing in early childhood education. imagine my surprise when i saw several of my preschoolers wearing nail polish! and, shades from this new collection. i bought all 3. held up to my students, you absolutely could not tell the difference. they were wearing nail polishes purchased at the local dollar store and drug store!!!!!

8. June 27, 2011 / 11:16 am

Oh wow <3 I think this is the first Chanel colour I have desperately wanted to own, I think it looks amazing on you <3

9. June 27, 2011 / 11:47 am

thank you for the link love!

It looks beautiful on you! BUT I'm loving that Prada more, I think lol

10. June 27, 2011 / 12:16 pm

I can't wait to see this one in person. Mine's arriving this week. It looks great against your skin tone from what I can see but pics are always deceiveing 😉

Christa…just wanted to say Hi! Not too often I come across someone with the same spelling of their name as me 😉

11. June 27, 2011 / 12:55 pm

That color looks so beautiful on your nails, especially reflected against the colors in the Prada handbag. Alas, I can't get away with it. Nail polishes that contain even a hint of gold or yellow pull the red from my skin and give me the dreaded lobster hands. It's why I have to be so careful with Morning Rose and do not ONE iota of house or yardwork, to keep my hands as pale as possible. Do you think my husband will agree to a housekeeper … you know, for the sake of my maintaining pretty nails. 😀

12. Jackie
    June 27, 2011 / 1:08 pm

Sabrina I think it looks gorgeous with your skin tone! I know it is probably a bit outside your comfort zone but for fall it will look stunning.

13. Colette
    June 27, 2011 / 1:09 pm

Peridot is a stunning shade, but I don't think that it is a great nail polish shade. Your skintone works with it fairly well in pictures at least.

14. June 27, 2011 / 2:19 pm

I agree. It's disappointing, mostly because that blue running beneath the surface of the olive-gold in the bottle doesn't manifest, and frankly, from Chanel, it should.

15. June 27, 2011 / 2:38 pm

I think the color looks stunning on you. Thank you so much for all the pics you take.

16. June 27, 2011 / 5:30 pm

Looks lovely on you! Your description of it as resembling a scarab beetle is right on point. It's an interesting shade — so pretty for the right outfit and occasion 🙂

17. June 28, 2011 / 5:01 am

The bottle color is really stunning, and I wish the awesomeness showed up a little more on the nails! I think it looks good against your skintone actually, especially love that picture where you're holding the Prada clutch!

18. Sophia1105
    June 28, 2011 / 10:14 pm

I think it looks really lovely on you, though I can understand your hesitation. I am not certain I would feel comfortable pulling it off.

It is like a work of art with all the layers of color.