Tom Ford just launched 25 new shades and 25 repromoted colors of their clutch-sized Lips and Boys Lipsticks ($36 each for 0.07 oz/ 2.07 mL). As the ultimate lipstick junkie I was beyond thrilled when a press box arrived at my door containing all 25 new shades in a drop-dead gorgeous black lacquer box. I’m so excited to be able to share swatches of the new colors with you today. This year Tom Ford Beauty added a new soft velvety matte finish formula for the Lips and Boys and they do not disappoint. For those new to Tom Ford lip colors this is a great way to start with the line as the full-sized lip colors are $50+ each. This is the third year that that they’ve launched the lips and boys minis and I think it’s one of the most fun launches during the holiday season. I’m still waiting for them to launch one named Andrew for my husband, but for now there are lots of other shades to play with.
I’ve been a huge fan of Tom Ford lip colors since the initial launch. My first one was Pink Dusk as it was the only wearable neutral in the original lineup for me and to this day it remains one of the best neutral pinks. The lipsticks are expensive but I find the textures to be excellent and usually find at least several colors I fall in love with from each seasonal launch regardless of formula (sheer, ultra rich, shine, foiled, etc.) The $50+ price tag is still not something I am happy about but I still buy colors with each launch and have been happy with most of my purchases. Formulas are always good, but when I buy sight unseen sometimes colors just don’t work for me as I hoped. Below I’ve swatched and photographed the new Lips and Boys in the order they came presented in the press box. For skintone reference I’m wearing the Tom Ford Waterproof Foundation Concealer in Bisque with Laura Mercier Candleglow Setting Powder #2 on top. As always colors are all swatched on bare lips. If you think you see a darker line around the outer edges of some shades – it’s just my natural lip color showing through. I have pigmented lips. Row 1 includes:
- Douglas (shimmer) is a medium baby pink shimmer
- Bradley (satin) is a peachy flesh nude with a sheen
- Alexander (satin) is a pale nude pink, note that Tom Ford launched another shade called Alexander in 2014, this year’s is different
- Ashton (satin) is a medium mauve plum rose
- Thomas (matte) is a cool-toned matte pink rose
Row two includes:
- Christopher (matte) is a matte mauve brown
- Ben (matte) is a matte deep brown red
- Evan (matte) is a matte peach nude, but on my pigmented lips it pulls mauvey, if you have regular colored lips this will probably be more true to what you see in the tube
- Dominic (matte) is a cool toned blue red matte
- Travis (shimmer) is a brown shimmer, this one has a slightly sheer finish and slightly patchy on me
Row 3 has:
- Graham (shimmer) is a semi-sheer golden shimmer, it has a transparent finish so my natural lip color shows through
- Aaron (shimmer) is a warm coppery brown shimmer
- Snowdon (shimmer) is a peachy pink rose gold shimmer
- Dylan (matte) is a bright matte warm orange red
- Jack (satin) is a deep plum, note there was a previous color called Jack from 2014 which was more purple, this year’s is more mauve plum
Row 4 colors include:
- Anderson (matte) is a matte neutral pink, it pulls cool-toned on my complexion
- Jared (matte) is a hot fuchsia pink
- Logan (shimmer) is a shimmering iridescent fuchsia
- Cristiano (matte) is a bright orange matte
- Mitchell (satin) is a muted neutral plum
Row 5 colors are plums:
- Nicholas (matte)
- Ryan (shimmer)
- Inigo (shimmer)
- Jon (shimmer)
- Elliot (shimmer)
All side by side:
It’s really hard to narrow down my favorites because there are so many amazing colors. Out of the entire collection there are only two that I’m not crazy about. Alexander 2016 is too pale for me but I have a hard time pulling off nudes. If you are like me in coloring but want a good Tom Ford nude that won’t wash you out, check out Revolve Around Me Ultra Lip Color. Travis also came off a bit patchy but it can be smoothed out if layered on the lips a bit more. Other than those two, all the others performed really well in terms of pigment and texture. The shimmers this year have a smooth finish in the shimmer, no chunky sparkles or frost. If I could only pick six of the new colors, I would say my favorites include Elliot, Snowdon, Mitchell, Evan, Douglas and Bradley.
To recap, new shades include: Alexander, Bradley, Jack, Ashton, Mitchell, Graham, Douglas, Snowdon, Aaron, Travis, Ryan, Inigo, Jon, Logan, Elliot, Anderson, Thomas, Jared, Cristiano, Dylan, Dominic, Evan, Nicolas, Ben and Christopher.
Repromoted colors include: Julian, Collin, Cary, Ian, Addison, Flynn, James, Richard, Patrick, Michael, Justin, Giacomo, Rafael, Luciano, Leonardo, Jake, Austin, Eric, Hiro, Roberto, Alejandro, Tony, Joaquin, Drake and Alex. I have my picks from the past two years swatched from 2014 here and 2015 here.
The Tom Ford Lips and Boys are available now at Sephora, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Net-A-Porter and all other Tom Ford Beauty counters.
Many thanks to the Tom Ford Beauty team for making my lipstick dreams come true. Lips and Boys provided courtesy for review.