Burberry’s holiday collection this year focuses on shades of gold and oxblood. There are two color sets for lips and nails, each with matching shades of their Lip Glow ($29 each), Lip Mist ($33 each) and Nail Polish ($22 each). Each item in the holiday collection comes with a special limited-edition gold colored check pattern on the packaging. The Oxblood Look colors are repromoted shades but the Gold Look items are new this year.
The Gold colors in this year’s collection are sheer cool-toned golds. I found the shades unique for a gold color. Typically golds for holidays are brighter or warmer. The items from Burberry have a pale tinge to them making them different than most.
- Gold No. 27 Lip Mist is a unique pale gold. It has a sheer formula which makes it forgiving but on my lips it applies like a cool nude with gold shimmer. I prefer this one dabbed on the lips in a sheer wash. If I layer this too much, it makes my pigmented lips look a bit too pale-looking.
- Gold No. 25 Lip Glow is a sheer sparkling gold. The sparkles are larger than finely milled shimmer with add a beautiful sparkle to the lips. While the shimmer is on the heavy side, the gloss is smooth in texture and I find the shimmer to be very wearable, even for those conservative on shimmer for the lips. I found it best layered over another lipstick. It’s a bit sheer when worn alone.
- Gold No. 447 Nail Polish is a pale yellow beige gold shimmer. The formula is excellent with smooth and rich coverage. It applies flawlessly on the nail and with two coats you get full coverage with a slight hint of silver sparkle. Unfortunately it doesn’t work so well with my olive skin tone. I suspect colors like this will work better on those with pink undertones in the skin. For me the yellow clashes with my olive skin. It is a wearable color and I’ve asked a few friends for their input. They like it, but don’t love it on me.
Comparisons for the lip glosses: MAC Gold Mirror Lipglass (discontinued), Dior Gold Rain Addict Lip Gloss (holiday, limited-edition), Burberry Nude Gold Lip Glow, NARS Greek Holiday Lip Gloss, NARS Gold Digger Larger Than Life Lip Gloss
The Oxblood colors are repromoted shades. I’ve reviewed the original Oxblood line before, but reswatched everything from this year’s collection to see if the colors are the same. They are.
- Oxblood No. 214 Lip Mist is a gel-like lipstick formula. The Lip Mists are sheerer than the Lip Covers but still have very good pigment. I find the Lip Mist adheres better to the lip even though it has a glossy finish. There is a semi-transparent quality but the colors still cover the lip entirely and evenly with a few swipes back and forth. Oxblood looks like a deep vampy color in the tube. On the lips it’s a brighter sheer red. It deepens if you layer it. If you apply one swipe the color is a sheer red.
- Oxblood No. 23 Lip Glow is another color that applies sheerer on the lips than what you see in the tube. This is a lovely sheer pink red with a hint of vamp. It wears well alone but looks good layered over the lipstick for added intensity and shine.
- Oxblood No. 303 Nail Polish is a deep vampy red. It seems to have improved in formula over the original one released several years ago with better smoother coverage. The brush is still wide and flat but seems easier to use than what I remember from my original review. The color is still identical to the original version.
Comparisons on the lips to: Burberry Hibiscus Lip Glow (slightly deeper than oxblood), Oxblood Lip Cover (is deeper and darker), Blueberry Lip Mist (is less blue/red but similar in effect):
Both the Gold and Oxblood are beautiful classics for the holidays giving you options for subtle or dramatic looks. My favorite items are the Gold Lip Glow, Oxblood Lip Mist and Oxblood Lip Glow. If you already own the Oxblood shades, the good news is you can shop your stash for a lovely understated but still slightly bold holiday red that isn’t too garish or bright.
All the items are limited-edition. Right now Burberry has all the items in stock online. Burberry Beauty is also carried at other retailers such as Nordstrom, Saks and Net-A-Porter, but some of the holiday pieces have started to sell out so you may need to shop around to pick out the pieces you want.
Have you checked out the Burberry Winter Glow collection yet? What did you think?
The Burberry Winter Glow items in this review were provided free of charge from Burberry for review consideration. All other items purchased by me.