Chanel Phenix 687 Le Vernis ($27, limited-edition) is the new polish for holiday. It’s part of the Collection Plumes Précieuses de Chanel. It’s a beautiful classic red cream. The formula is very fluid and applies smoothly like most Chanel nail polishes. In my mind, Chanel can do no wrong when it comes to reds, but Phenix is very similar to past nail polish releases. I don’t mind similar colors but for those who don’t want dupes, you many want to shop your stash before buying. Still, if you’ve tried a lot of different reds you know how there are a multitude of variations. Some are darker reds, others brighter, some with different undertones like blue or orange. Finding a good red that doesn’t clash too much with your skin or make it look drab can be challenging sometimes. Chanel Phenix is a bright red with the perfect mix of orange and pink in it to brighten the hands and give them a polished classic look.
More photos and swatches of Phenix, it applies perfectly with two coats:
In terms of comparisons, there are Chanel reds that are extremely similar. From arm’s length they will look identical. I tried to do some swatch comparisons, but if you’ve photographed reds before, you know the challenge in capturing the differences no matter what lighting you use. I’ll add descriptions to explain what I see the differences are, but bottom line is that many are extremely similar.
- Chanel Coromandel is deeper in color and more opaque, it also has more orange
- Chanel Rouge Rubis is almost blue-toned compared to Phenix, it has a cooler undertone
- Chanel Dragon is darker and more red making Phenix look almost orange next to it
- Chanel Rouge Flamboyant is similar but a bit darker in undertone
- Chanel Pirate is quite a bit darker, sheerer and definitely more blue-toned
- Chanel Enthusiast (discontinued) is the closest match to Phenix, but Enthusiast has more orange undertone and is more opaque
I find Chanel Phenix to be a gorgeous brighter red that pulls slightly warm. I think it will be flattering on most skin tones. If you already own a lot of reds, you may want to skip Phenix and opt for something more unique unless you are a die-hard Chanel fan or collector.
Chanel Phenix is limited-edition. Available at all Chanel counters and boutiques. Online at Nordstrom, Saks, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales and Chanel.com.