Color Focus: Emerald, Aqua, Green and Teal

Affiliate Links

Teal, emerald, green and aqua seem to be the focus for nails in several collections this season. There are a number of gorgeous new green nail polishes – all of which I was unable to resist. Some are more subtle and subdued while others are bright and electric. The new shades this season inspired me to pull out my other greens for comparison. I’m currently running a top coat experiment so I won’t be able to swatch these on the nails just yet, hopefully these photos will help give you an idea in the meantime.

The inspiration: new shades for summer from Dior, Chanel, YSL, MAC and Deborah Lippmann (spotted near me in stores now at Macy’s, Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom):

• Dior’s Samba Duo ($29, spotted instore at Macys, Nordstrom and Nordstrom.com)
  • Chanel’s Azure ($27, now on Chanel.com)
  • YSL Vert D’Orient #36 ($25 instores and here at Nordstrom.com)
  • MAC Mineralize Lip Balm in Glacé ($20 here at Nordstrom.com)
  • Deborah Lippmann Rockin’ Robin ($19 at in store and online at Nordstrom.com)

All the nail colors in greens, teals, aquas: OPI Thanks a Windmillion, YSL Jade Imperial (limited from spring 2013), Dior Waterlily (limited from spring 2012), Dior Samba Duo (summer 2013), Chanel Azure (summer 2013), Deborah Lippmann Mermaid’s Dream, Rescue Beauty Lounge Jack (limited), JINsoon Charade (at Sephora), JINsoon Metaphor (at Sephora), Chanel Black Pearl, YSL Vert d’Orient, Deborah Lippmann Rockin’ Robin (spring 2013):

For quick reference here’s one more shot of the bottom wheel at a different angle so you can see the difference in undertone between Chanel Azure and Dior Samba:

I love how vibrant and bright the shades are this season although I do wonder if I will be brave enough to pull them off on the fingers for everyday wear at the office. I definitely wouldn’t hesitate to wear them on the toes. Teal/Emerald as a small accessory or accent piece? Even a blouse? Definitely yes, but on the fingers, I’ll have to experiment to see. More detailed swatches and reviews to come in the next few days as soon I possibly can.

What’s your favorite teal, green or emerald shade for nails? Are you picking up any of the new greens this spring/summer?

This post contains affiliate links, for more info see the About/FAQ section.

Comments

1. April 20, 2013 / 9:03 pm

Perfect summer colours!! Love it!

2. April 20, 2013 / 9:05 pm

Jade Imperial is beautiful *__* Was it limited edition?

• April 20, 2013 / 9:11 pm

Yes – I believe Jade Imperial was limited edition unfortunately. I was able to find one instore at Bloomingdales but most other locations were sold out by the time I decided I wanted it.

• April 29, 2013 / 11:19 am

I bought Jade Imperial but now looking at the pictures, it is identical to OPI Thanks a Windmillion!

3. April 20, 2013 / 9:06 pm

This post is just so full of pretty things! Love greens but I actually don"r sport them a lot on my nails. This season definitely changed that! I love Samba, Vert D'Orient and Azure a lot! Can't wait till Chanel Summer comes out here! ^^

4. April 20, 2013 / 9:29 pm

I wish Essie brings Greenport back. Sabrina,do you have any idea what a good dupe of Essie Greenport? 🙁

5. April 20, 2013 / 9:34 pm

I'm drooling all over the place now, Sabrina! I need to get Samba and Azure! I like Vert d'Orient as well, but most of the time I prefer some shimmer in my nail polish 🙂

6. K Wilk
    April 20, 2013 / 9:39 pm

Thank you for this! I was very curious to see the difference between the Samba duo and Azure. Your comparisons are always the best, and most thorough.

7. April 20, 2013 / 10:28 pm

Hi Sabrina, You have such an amazing collection of greens! The Dior Samba duo really catches my eye here — and Deborah Lippmann's Rockin' Robin too. I love the idea of speckles, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to pull them off 🙂

8. April 21, 2013 / 2:29 am

Hi Sabrina! Chanel Jade is my favorite all time teal and nail polish in general. I mourned the day I finished my bottle. It just did something special for my Spirit. 🙂

9. April 21, 2013 / 5:02 am

Love these pictures! That YSL is stunning – such perfect emerald-y, jade-y green goodness! 🙂 The closet thing I have to a green polish is Essie Trophy Wife (which isn't green at all)! I've always heard amazing things about OPI Jade is the New Black.

10. April 21, 2013 / 5:13 am

Of all those colors I think I like the Deborah Lippmann Rockin' Robin the best. I just love her colors! I think I'm definitely going to pick it up next time I stop by Nordstrom.

11. April 21, 2013 / 6:28 am

this is just the cutest post, i just love the pictures.

12. April 21, 2013 / 7:15 am

Oh wow look at all those pretties!! I really need more diversity in my nail polish shades…and eyeshadow shades 😛 haha

13. April 21, 2013 / 7:41 am

I need both the Dior and the Chanel this spring!

14. April 21, 2013 / 9:18 am

I already have got the dior duo Samba and love it applies like a dream. Think I will be getting Chanel but it has not arrived here in Holland yet.

15. April 21, 2013 / 11:03 am

Love them, I do have a lot of green nail polish too! They are so female! thanks for watching!

16. April 21, 2013 / 12:46 pm

I love these shades. From the Spring collections I already have YSL Jade Imperial and just ordered Chanel Azure. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the great post!

17. April 21, 2013 / 2:37 pm

Thank you for posting. What do you think of Chanel's Azure formula? I love the color, but am waiting for a review to order. Thanks!

18. April 21, 2013 / 4:02 pm

Sabrina how does Samba duo (the jade one) compare to Chanel Jade? Any idea?
    Thank you!

19. Dominique
    April 21, 2013 / 6:53 pm

Beautiful swatches ! I think the most pretty is Deborah Lippmann Mermaid's Dream but Chanel Azuré is calling my name.

20. April 22, 2013 / 12:12 am

Trendy by Revlon is a dupe of Vert D'Orient. I own both. Also the Chanel summer stuff (Azure and Bel-Argus) looks amazing!

21. tagatha
    April 22, 2013 / 3:55 pm

My favourite blue-green at the moment is butter London's Thames!

22. Candice
    April 22, 2013 / 4:52 pm

Beautiful swatches! My favorites from your collection were: Deborah Lippmann Rockin' Robin, Dior Samba 402 & 794, and Chanel Azure.

23. April 22, 2013 / 6:40 pm

I'm always drawn to these shades. They're so beautiful! I'm wearing the YSL Jade Imperial right now and it is an amazing colour!

24. April 22, 2013 / 6:40 pm

Such lovely shades, but I personally prefer green with gold and aqua!
    The aqua color, I want it on to my hair when I have long enough<3

25. April 22, 2013 / 11:08 pm

Lovely summer-spring shades…I'm waiting for Azure to hit the stores here in Greece.One irrelevant question Sabrina regarding the Illusion d'ombres.Did you experienced any drying?Because my Mirifique and Emerveille are completely useless.They dried out completely.My other four(ebloui,illusoire,abstraction and convoitisse)still go strong.So it's not a maintenance issue.Sorry for the long post!!!Thank you for your wonderful,artistic photos and always helpful comparisons.

26. April 23, 2013 / 7:13 pm

Love, Love, Love these shades especially the Deborah Lippman ones, just beautiful! xx

27. Christine
    April 27, 2013 / 6:53 am

How does the YSL Vert d' Orient compare to Dior Nirvana? I have 2 of Nirvana so I'm not sure if it warrants me getting the YSL. It looks a bit similar in the swatch.