Coral Nail Polishes for Spring and Summer

Coral seems to be all the craze this year for spring and summer nail polishes. My peachy-coral obsession for blushes has now transitioned into nails. I’ve already reviewed a number of new peachy corals this year: Chanel June, Laura Mercier Cabana, Dior Riviera and Chanel Distraction. Many have asked about the newest from Dior Bikini. From promo photos it can be difficult to identify differences between so many similar shades. I gathered what I could find online, here they are lined up:

In real life, here is what I see below, they are all more similar than promotional digitized photos appear to be. (Many thanks to my Twitter friends who let me know Dior Bikini arrived online at Sephora.com.) Here is the verdict, left to right:

• Chanel Orange Fizz – is the lightest and brightest, it’s more orangey than all the rest
  • Dior Bikini – has the best coverage, it’s more of a true peach, with slight reddish tones, slightly darker
  • Chanel Distraction – semi-sheer medium jelly finish with the subtle iridescence
  • Laura Mercier Cabana – most jelly-like, slightly more pink undertones
  • Dior Riviera – most vibrant coral red

A few more swatches to other oranges, peaches and corals: Rescue Beauty Lounge Coral, Revlon Demure, Dior Sweet Orange 334, Dior Bikini 231, Chanel Distraction, Dior Riviera 537, Laura Mercier Sizzle, Chanel Orange Fizz, Chanel June, Chanel Miami Peach, Laura Mercier Cabana.

Overall, if you have Chanel Distraction or Laura Mercier, you do not need Dior Bikini. I do believe Dior Bikini has the best formula and richest coverage. I really do love it (even though it’s almost identical to other corals) and it would be my vote for the season’s best coral. At this time I haven’t seen Dior summer anywhere on counter on the West Coast (Southern California), although it has just arrived online at Sephora.com and Nordstrom.com as well. I suspect it will arrive any day in store.

Have you checked out any corals for nails this summer? What is your favorite? Or do you have a classic coral in your collection that you’re loving right now?

Comments

1. April 8, 2012 / 12:00 am

i love corals all year round. *add LM cabana to my ever expanding wish list*

2. April 8, 2012 / 12:30 am

It looks very nice having a different shade of coral on each nail ^^

3. Kira
    April 8, 2012 / 1:31 am

Where does Dior Lucky fall into these ?

• April 8, 2012 / 1:43 am

Hi Kira, I consider Lucky more of a reddish-pink shade. On me it doesn't pull coral. Lucky is closest to Riviera, but a more red-pink version. Hope that helps.

April 8, 2012 / 2:21 am

did you see the 2 new nail colors coming out from chanel and guerlain from their summer collections? they're suppose to be in the coral family too. i heard they will be available the end of april. guerlain's will be from the pucci collaboration and chanel's is called holiday. i wonder how they compare in color to the one's you reviewed above? saving my $$$$ for them….xo.

5. Julia
    April 8, 2012 / 2:47 am

Yay, I was able to pick up Dior Bikini during the Sephora sale this past week and I love it! I really liked Chanel Distraction too but I was sitting on buying it for a while and so I'm glad to hear that Bikini wins your vote–I won't have to get the Chanel after all! I've picked up a bunch of coral-y polishes this Spring, from Julep, to Maybelline, to Sinful Colors, and I already had some from Revlon. They run the full gamut of prices from very spendy to very cheap, and each is different and lovely in its own right.

6. April 8, 2012 / 5:14 am

They're all beautiful, but Distraction and Cabana I like best. πŸ™‚

7. April 8, 2012 / 5:24 am

I'm starting to be into corals (for cheecks and lips), it seems I should also move on to nails -I'm starting with peaches, then move to corals. Thanks a lot for swatches, it helps a lot deciding.

8. April 8, 2012 / 6:08 am

Hi Sabrina, you have such a wonderful collection of corals; it makes me happy seeing them all lined up like that πŸ™‚ I ordered up Bikini during Sephora Chic week and am looking forward to it!

9. April 8, 2012 / 7:52 am

I Love this coral colours.
    And I ❀Dior Riviera so much.
    Have a nice Day and Happy Easter!
    ❀

10. April 8, 2012 / 9:35 am

Chanel Distraction and Laura Mercier Cabana = I want! <3

xo

11. April 8, 2012 / 10:46 am

I am drooling over all corals and oranges this year! so happy I got chanel ditraction already πŸ˜€

12. April 8, 2012 / 12:47 pm

Love your blog, really informative with beautiful pictures! Just letting you know I used one of your photos on my website as an example of nail polish storage. I linked back to your blog as credit and I can remove it if you'd like! Nothing worse than people using your photos without permission, so I thought I'd tell you! Thanks!

• April 8, 2012 / 4:54 pm

Nailsnailed.com, I'll permit use this one time. Using any content without permission even if you credit the source is still copyright infringement. Next time please ask first. Thanks.

13. April 8, 2012 / 3:48 pm

Love this post!

14. MCL
    April 9, 2012 / 3:26 am

I have the same addiction! Sabrina, I think you would adore Lunasol's nail polish from this year's spring colleciton. It's called Gel Red (ex 40) and is an even better version of LM's Cabana. The application is flawless and the finish is gel-like, but it applies like a cream. I've never experienced a nail polish that applies so easily.

15. April 9, 2012 / 2:43 pm

Thanks for this review I did not know what to get the dior bikini or the Chanel distration was leaning towardings the dior bikini because its more coral than the chanel was which has more pink did not think I needed to get both. Just as you said!Thanks

16. April 9, 2012 / 2:52 pm

So lovely! I am obsessed with corals and peaches right now! Dior Sweet Orange looks very pretty in your swatch. I like the touch of pink in Distraction πŸ™‚

17. April 10, 2012 / 8:40 am

I love the Chanel colours!

April 13, 2012 / 4:39 am

My favorite coral is OPI's My Chihuahua Bites. Was discontinued for awhile but they brought it back!

19. April 17, 2012 / 12:09 am

I love Corals! Such a universally flattering shade!
    I've been eyeing Chanel Distraction for a while! Such a pretty coral πŸ™‚

20. May 5, 2012 / 4:46 am

This is such a lovely post! Now I can't decide which coral to get! Thank you Sabrina, I love your blog! πŸ™‚

July 2, 2012 / 5:17 pm

from Spain! love your blog! my vote is for Dior Bikini!!!!