Chanel Fauve #90 Soft Touch Eyeshadow

I was a lucky girl to get this from Paris while Café Makeup was traveling earlier this spring (see her review here). I wasn’t quite sure if this color would ever be released in the US, but thanks to KarlaSugar’s Sneak Peeks, we now know this will be released this year to the US with the Sophisticated Eye Collection (exact date to be determined).

Chanel Fauve #90 is a sparkly mauve taupe with a high shimmer factor (you can see silver flecks in the pan). It’s beautiful. See it reviewed on Delicate Hummingbird and Pink Sith (they have stunning eye looks featured as well). I’ve tried this a number of ways: dry, over a base, smudged over a liner, alone, combined with other bronzey shades and lighter champagnes. It’s extremely versatile and amazing enough that it’s one of those colors you can wear all by itself (just add mascara) and you have a nice polished look. The texture, although very metallic and sparkly, is smooth. There is surprisingly no fall out from the sparkle flecks, even when applied dry. Some mauves go on pinkish on my eyes. Chanel Fauve has enough taupe and silver to prevent this from giving me that dreaded pink-eye look.

I could not find a single dupe …

I pulled other shadows from Chanel, MAC and NARS. Here are Chanel Taupe Grise, Chanel Fauve, Chanel Misty-Soft, Chanel Safari, MAC Mauvement Pigment, Chanel Illusoire Illusion d’Ombre, Trish McEvoy Raisin, and NARS Ondine.

Swatched L to R (over a slightly moisturized arm): Chanel Safari, Chanel Taupe Grise, Chanel Fauve, Chanel Misty-Soft (lighter side), Chanel Illusoire, MAC Mauvement Pigment, MAC Style Snob, Trish McEvoy Raisin, NARS Ondine

Fauve is a beautiful color and something I find unique enough to justify the price. I am glad it will be released in the US (hopefully soon). I highly recommend.

Comments

1. June 26, 2011 / 3:01 pm

dang that's pretty… and now i see the why the hype over Safari too lol

2. June 26, 2011 / 3:30 pm

These single eyeshadows by Chanel seem gorgeous! I think I might have t splurge on one soon.

3. June 26, 2011 / 4:38 pm

Fauve = favorite mauve! lol 🙂

4. June 26, 2011 / 5:05 pm

Nice! I can't wait for this to be released here! To me it looks like it might be similar to MAC's Shale, just a bit. Shale is one of my favorites! Thanks for the review and comparison swatches, very helpful! 🙂

5. June 26, 2011 / 5:56 pm

I have Fauve and it is amazing. Now I want Nars Ondine and Chanel Safari! Love your comparisation pictures!

6. Walls
    June 26, 2011 / 7:19 pm

I've been loving Fauve, too, since I picked it up in Canada in the spring. I just got Corinthian by LMdB earlier this month, and I think there is a striking resemblance between the two, at least when swatched side by side. On the eye, both shadows certainly look different, which, thankfully, justified the purchase of Corinthian. Thanks for this beautiful post, as well as the gorgeous introduction to Chanel's Fall 2011 collection. I will definitely be trying out some of the new shadows.

7. June 26, 2011 / 8:07 pm

Beautiful shade! It reminds me of MAC Shale too.

Heather

8. June 26, 2011 / 8:11 pm

It's beautiful! I'm going to have to buy it too.

9. June 26, 2011 / 8:13 pm

I love Chanel singles, so I will definitely be on board when this shows up in the US.

You have an impressive collection of eyeshadows in this mauvish taupe shade. I suddenly have New Car Syndrome where an eyeshadow color I'd never heard of is suddenly popping up all over the place. Modesty Brown and I were discussing Trish McEvoy Raisin–in relation to Rouge Bunny Rouge in Delicate Hummingbird (the color, not the blog) the other day. Excellent comparisons, as always. Thanks!

10. June 26, 2011 / 8:27 pm

I love it. But I also now *need* Mauvement, Safari & Style Snob – all beautiful mauvey taupe shades, my absolute favourites!

11. June 26, 2011 / 11:33 pm

beautiful. just beautiful. for me the shimmery, the better. adds a little twinkle to the eyes. this would be a perfect for a subtle everyday taupe smokey eye look.
    thanks for sharing .. hope this comes to australia soon

12. Eileen
    June 26, 2011 / 11:51 pm

Oh, beautiful Fauve! I've been waiting for this one ever since seeing it at Café Makeup. I was thrilled to learn that it would finely be coming to the US in August. The lovely Reika at Front Row Beauty has a gorgeous eye look featuring Fauve–of course she's gorgeous to begin with!

June 27, 2011 / 1:54 am

Thank you for the pics! I can't wait for this to be released here!

Also, thank you for the the different comparisons across brands, that's very helpful and always appreciated!

Thanks again,
    Beth

14. June 27, 2011 / 2:20 am

wow, looks amazing! I love your blog and the piccies. Hope ur feeling better now btw
    xo

15. June 27, 2011 / 3:45 am

I like this color! It actually reminds me very much of a super old Clinique color that I have called Foxy. Not sure if it's discontinued or not, but if this is a dupe then I will most likely pick it up once it hits NY

16. June 27, 2011 / 6:22 am

I am eagerly awaiting the release of this shadow. I think Fauve is so complimentary and simplistic. Only Chanel has me awaiting an eye shadow with such bated breath!

17. June 27, 2011 / 7:16 am

Fauve is the first Chanel eyeshadow that I've ever bought. It was a bit expensive to my budget but it's so amazing that it was worth every penny!

18. June 27, 2011 / 8:02 am

thanks for the review and especially the swatched compared to similiar colours! I definitely find it unique as well!

19. June 27, 2011 / 12:17 pm

Gorgeous swatches! I may just have to pick this one up. These kinds of colours tend to wash me out but Fauve seems to be calling my name anyways…

20. June 27, 2011 / 1:37 pm

Looks like a very pigmented Mushroom Dazzle Dust by Barry M to me!

21. June 27, 2011 / 4:22 pm

That is stunning…looks similar to the mauve/taupe shade in the Lilium quad that I just purchased(and was wishing came separately since I can see going through that shade in the palette quickly)
    Looks as though Chanel granted my wish!

22. Sophia1105
    June 27, 2011 / 6:42 pm

This is right up my alley! I'm glad to see a softer, more romantic take on colors. I'm loving all I am seeing of their fall line and have Prelude on the way, thanks to your swatches. This will definitely be added to the list at some point.

23. June 28, 2011 / 2:29 am

Fauve remains the prettiest out of the bunch.

24. June 28, 2011 / 5:02 am

OMG taupe overload >.< I want them all! Thanks for the news and swatches 🙂 I don't know that I should add yet another taupe to my eyeshadow collection, but I'll probably stalk the Chanel counter when this comes out.

25. July 1, 2011 / 11:02 pm

Fauve is so pretty, this might be coming home with me! Wow!

26. July 4, 2011 / 4:58 am

Fauve is beautiful. I'm a fan of mauve-taupe shades, but I have to be careful, as they usually look washed out on my dark skin (they often show up as a silvery metallic). I'll definitely swatch this one at the counter.

27. July 24, 2011 / 3:26 am

Fauve looks like a great taupe addition to any collection and one that a taupe lover (that I aspire to be) shouldn't miss out on…!

Thanks for the helpful comparisons!!!

x