Storage Ideas From The Beauty Look Book

Finding the best storage solutions to fit one’s room is always a challenge for makeup. Many have asked for advice on how I store everything. This is something I am always working on as my stash grows. If you click on the storage tag below you will see a few previous posts with ideas. For an update, click to see more.
To recap:
  • I mainly store my items in the tall Ikea Alex Units. I have two of these side by side. These have shorter drawers and a few taller drawers ideal for storing things for easy viewing. I love these and can’t rave enough (even if it is a pain to put together). I’ve found a number of photos on Flickr featuring the Alex Units in put together rooms. Check out these links for ideas on how others use this unit: Ikea Alex Gallery 1, Gallery 2, Gallery 3, Gallery 4, Gallery 5, Google Images: Ikea Alex
  • For brushes and pencils, I use Stila Paint Cans (which can be hard to find), MUJI Acrylic Cylinders and Crate & Barrel Containers
  • To store lipglosses, MUJI has great acrylic solutions, high quality drawers with excellent craftsmanship. These are super sturdy and aesthetically pleasing (for acrylic). The price shown above reflects the price from 2009, I don’t know if the price is still current.

Today, I still utilize both Ikea Alex units and I have not added any more units, although ideally one more would be nice. You can see below the shallow shorter drawers are nice for storing things in short stacks for easy viewing. They are great for storing MAC Blushes, Bronzers and Mineralized Skinfinishes for easy access. Over the past year I’ve started using gift boxes as storage separators. I’m the type who will hold onto a pretty gift box for a while before tossing it. Jo Malone, Chanel and Dior make beautiful branded gift boxes. I’ve found some are the perfect height for lipsticks, multiples, glosses and such.

White box is from Dior, black box is the cap from a Chanel box – perfect size for lipsticks:

In the back is a MUJI cylinder, on the left a cute Paul & Joe tin, cream colored boxes on the right are the bottoms of Jo Malone candle boxes:

Another Jo Malone box (the base) to hold NARS Multiples and other skinny cream-liquid products:

Stacked MAC MSFs and Beauty Powders:

I’m still working on Nail Polish storage, but so far this is how they are stored in this post. The nail racks I’ve found are cheap and ugly, but they do the trick of storing them in an organized easy-to-see fashion. I don’t like storing them in boxes or drawers because those methods make it difficult to sort through the colors since all you see are the caps. If anyone has ideas on nail polish storage that you love, please share.

Comments

1. March 19, 2011 / 4:41 pm

These are really great ideas. I'm simply amazed at how huge your makeup collection is!

2. March 19, 2011 / 4:49 pm

Love your storage tips. Your setup is so pretty. Mine is organized and easy to access but it's not pretty or chic like yours. 2011 is the year I need to get my makeup storage in order. =)

3. March 19, 2011 / 4:54 pm

Brilliant setup. I'm really liking those Ikea Alex units. Thanks for the idea! 😀

By the way, I your collection is fantastic!

4. March 19, 2011 / 5:02 pm

Thank you so much for sharing with us. It's a great inspirational post. I love how organized and clean your collection is. Looking forward to more posts like this one. It would be interesting to see how you store your high-end powdery products.

5. March 19, 2011 / 5:05 pm

Great ideas! I am drooling over your makeup; I would sit and look at it for days haha <3

6. March 19, 2011 / 5:41 pm

IN LOVE with your makeup collection!!! ..I love how your so neat

7. March 19, 2011 / 5:43 pm

lvpiggy from tpf said she uses a spice rack…. i haven't seen a pic but it seems like a fantastic alternative. i like to see what i'm working with!

8. March 19, 2011 / 6:04 pm

Your collection is so dreamy! Have a great weekend Sabrina!

9. March 19, 2011 / 6:11 pm

Thank you so much for posting the link to IKEA's Alex units. I've been looking for these for a long time and have been unable to determine the exact name.

I've been wanting to reorganize my collection for quite some time now, and your post has really inspired me!

♥ Jessica

10. Cara Smith
    March 19, 2011 / 6:52 pm

Chanel, Dior, MAC, oh my! LOVE this, Sabrina. What's your fave makeup brand?

11. March 19, 2011 / 8:08 pm

This is the perfect hybrid of at-home vanity counter and department store makeup counter. It must be so nice to be able to look at your collection like that everyday!

12. March 19, 2011 / 8:13 pm

I am loving your storage! I also keep gift boxes for storage. Love your polish collection and I like the way it is stored – mine is all shoved in a box! xx

13. March 19, 2011 / 8:33 pm

Fabulous collection, I love seeing other peoples makeup collections. Also love MUJI storage products, I have one of their multi-tiered makeup bags. Great post xx

14. March 19, 2011 / 10:56 pm

I love the way you use the gift boxes for storage. Pretty and a nice way to recycle, too 🙂 I am currently storing my nail polish in three large, two-tiered clear snapware containers. They fit perfectly (even the tallest bottles-yay), except as you mentioned they are not as easy to access when in boxes. Still figuring out the best solution for the rest of my makeup! Those IKEA units look great 🙂

15. Mio
    March 20, 2011 / 9:12 am

In the pic with the giftboxes (Dior and Chanel), there is two compacts with snap closure. They are adorable! Who made them?

16. Mio
    March 20, 2011 / 5:47 pm

Thank you!

17. March 21, 2011 / 3:50 pm

I love your storage ideas! Now I want to spend the next several days re-organizing everything!

18. March 21, 2011 / 6:11 pm

I love your storage ideas! I need to organize mine better. Makeup everywhere!

19. March 23, 2011 / 3:58 pm

I'm terribly late, but I just wanted to say that I LOVED this post and all your storage ideas! Your Chanel nail polish collection is to die for and I actually really love those drawers! I hope I have room for them someday. =)

20. March 24, 2011 / 1:47 am

Thanks for this timely post! I'm in desperate need of organizing – and purging – my products. Can you tell me where you got your tiered platform for your Chanel polishes? It's the only solution I've ever seen that allows you to see the colors in the bottle. Thanks!

21. March 25, 2011 / 11:00 pm

Nice! I use IKEA storage trays, there designed with holes for housing your lipsticks,glosses,etc. I should do a post on my blog showing pics (: