Butter London All Hail McQueen

Butter London’s All Hail McQueen seems to be the season’s hottest neutral for nails. Raved about by Amy from Café Makeup, Gaia of The Non-Blonde and Soaper1 on Karla Sugar – this instantly caught my attention and I knew I had to try it. All three reviews give us a slightly different glimpse of this beautiful shade. I loved how it looked in each review and immediately ordered one for myself.

The color is a complex holographic beige with bits of reflective particles in various shades of gold, silver, beige, tan, yellow – very hard to describe. Unfortunately the holographic quality only really shows up when the light hits it directly. It’s a beautiful shade, no doubt, but on my skintone, I feel it makes my hands look aged and tired. I actually prefer OPI’s DS Classic shade which is similar, just less brownish/grey, warmer and slightly brighter.

The formula itself is very sheer. I had to ask the salon to apply three coats to get it to show up. Lasting power was decent – it lasted about 3 days without any wear, chipping or flaking and I didn’t reapply any top coat after the initial application.

OPI DS Classic vs. Butter London All Hail McQueen

Overall pretty, just not really super flattering on my skintone unless the sun shines on my fingers directly. I personally prefer Butter London’s Yummy Mummy (reviewed and compared here) and also Chanel Particuliere for a more contrasted shade of beige/grey. It’s beautiful when the light hits, but just not really cup of tea. I will probably be sending this to a close friend who I know will go gaga over this shade and won’t mind that I used it already.

Comments

1. September 24, 2010 / 1:09 am

What a gorgeous shade!

2. September 24, 2010 / 1:58 am

Looks lovely on you~ I bought 'Aston' which I found to be a shimmery Toffee.

3. September 24, 2010 / 3:26 am

I bought it too, and I think is pretty, however I think you are very right, I have medium skin tone and I thought it was a bit boring in my fingers too, and yeah I will prefer Particuliere… Funny how we think similarly, now I want to see this OPI DS Classic.
    THANKS

4. September 24, 2010 / 3:30 am

Hm.. I think I still prefer McQueen, but DS Classic is also gorgeous. I saw it at Ulta, but it didn't look appealing to me in the bottle. I think I will have to take another look.. 🙂 I think McQueen looks fantastic on your nails! Thanks for the review!

5. September 24, 2010 / 3:40 am

I love love love your posts! It's so easy to tell how much time and effort you put into your wonderful posts. Thank you!

6. September 24, 2010 / 5:06 am

This looks like a perfect neutral polish, I need it. I have fair skin so this could be a potential winner. Thanks for sharing. KK, x.

7. September 24, 2010 / 5:38 am

Hmm, I'm not particular sold on this yet. I just noticed Under My Trench Coat by OPI Sephora and I keep thinking about it! My nail brain lemming is full. 🙂

8. September 24, 2010 / 9:23 am

I really like the Butter London – I prefer the greyer tone. Will have to try and hunt this down for myself now!

Your comparisons are so very helpful, thank you for them.

9. September 24, 2010 / 1:28 pm

I agree with you, I don't think that shade is very flattering for you…OPI Classic, Yummy Mummy, Particuliere, etc. all look better to me.

10. Eileen
    September 24, 2010 / 3:28 pm

All the shades are lovely, but just as we can't all wear the same lip or eye colors successfully, the same goes for polish. Your unerring eye for color is correct. The OPI looks much better on your hand.

11. September 24, 2010 / 4:31 pm

Thanks for this post, I was on the fence and think I'll pass. It looks so much better fresh, really loses a lot fo color after a few days. Wonder if Zoya makes a similiar shade? It's my fav polish of late.

12. September 24, 2010 / 4:32 pm

Gorgeous! I need this – you have the great ability of making me purchase things. I did get to buy 2 RBL polishes from the salon.

Also, Mr. Bess says hello and he speaks HIGHLY about you!!!

13. September 26, 2010 / 4:35 pm

I had to go right out and buy the OPI shade you showed here. It is just too pretty to pass up. Thanks for such a great blog. You are one of my favorites I like to read. Keep up the good work.

14. September 27, 2010 / 8:28 pm

I am definitely LOVING the "All Hail McQueen" shade. I typically tend to wear more nude nail polish colors as is so the fact that this is nude and shimmery makes it extremely appealing.

15. September 28, 2010 / 11:44 pm

I love this color! I've been thinking of buying it for a while. I don't think this shade would look all that flattering with my skin tone either, but it's much too pretty to pass up.

Thanks for the review!

16. Christy
    October 18, 2010 / 6:37 pm

I think this is a pretty color. We have similar skin tone and while I'm not crazy about it on the fingers, I think it would be the perfect fall/winter pedicure color for us 🙂

17. November 25, 2011 / 2:34 am

Thank you for the comparison. Now I know that I will only stick to OPI DS Classic :). I have just purchased mine and will try it very soon.