I don’t write much about MAC because I find that since there are so many MAC experts out there, I don’t feel like I would be contributing much by writing about the line. But I actually do like MAC products quite a bit. To me, they are definitely the most fashion-forward with trends and I love that they have such a wide range of colors, textures and finishes for all their products. Because there are so many colors, I think that just about anyone can find something they like.
One of the things I’m not crazy about though is their frequent discontinuation of colors to make room for new ones, but if your favorite product has been discontinued, there are chances it may be re-promoted with a new collection or that a very similar color will be released under a different product name.
All the products above are different colors, and while they aren’t 100% the same, they are so close that once you apply them on the skin, you can barely tell the difference. Can you ID these or tell the difference?
- Pink Swoon Sheertone Blush
- Pink Glow Matte Blush (discontinued around 2007)
- Dark Edge Satin Eyeshadow (LE with N Collection, January 2008)
- Rummy Satin Eyeshadow (LE with D’Bohemia, May 2005)
- Bendel Girl Lipglass (Henri Bendel exclusive in September 2007)
- Light That Fire Lipglass (LE with Warm & Cozy 2009 Collection)
- Sugarshot Lustre Eyeshadow (LE with Sugarsweet, March 2009)
- Light Ray Lustre Eyeshadow (LE with Turquatic, July 2006)
- Cherry Blossom Lipglass (LE with Cult of Cherry, August 2008)
- Cultureclash Lipglass (LE with Electroflash, July 2008, will be re-promoted in Feb 2010)
- Trifle Lipglass (LE with Antiquitease, October 2007)
- Tongue-in-chic Lacquer (discontinued, unsure of date)
- Flash of Flesh Lipglass (LE with D’Bohemia, May 2005)
- Bare Necessity Dazzleglass
- Camel Eyeshadow (discontinued in 2000?)
- Modelette Eyeshadow (released with MAC Warm & Cozy 2009)
My New Years Resolution is to use up more and buy less (we’ll see how well that actually goes). All of these from my stash are still good, I normally don’t throw out things according to the standard expiration dates.
That being said, it still doesn’t stop me from wanting MAC to repromote Maroon pigment, Brass Pigment, Coco Pigment, Pleasureflush MSF, Shrimplette Lipstick, Sharp Beige Lipstick, Fringe Eyeshadow, Heavenly Bliss Eyeshadow, Camel Eyeshadow, those cute Diana Ross pink makeup brushes and a bunch of their original blushes that they discontinued. The closest thing I’ve found to MAC Camel is the new Modelette Eyeshadow, but it’s still a tad bit different. Close enough for me to be happy right now though.
I wish MAC would do an “Originals” collection every year and repromote discontinued products from the past as a collection.
Have you found any MAC dupes?