makeup bag set from Cuyana
It’s our third winter in Florida and I cannot believe how the time has flown! It feels like it was just a short while ago that we were driving across the country to start a new chapter of our lives. Most of the year we find Florida to be sunny and warm but we’ve had a cold winter (it’s been colder than I remember it being in past years) and everything is significantly more dry. My skin has definitely felt it and so I’ve changed up my routine. Here are some things I’ve been loving recently for lips, hands and body to combat the dry weather.
Hydrating Lip Favorites
I’m still recovering from shock that Bite Beauty discontinued my holy grail lip mask and I know many of you are too. They’ve done some sneak peeks of their brand revamp on social and they’re launching their new Agave+ Intensive Vegan Lip Mask on January 10th at Sephora. I will be ordering it to try out. In the meantime, what I have in rotation now:
- NARS Afterglow Lip Balms* are my most reached for balms these days. I always keep one in my purse! The original Orgasm shade swatched here. New spring shades swatched here. I’m constantly asked for an alternative to the Dior Addict Lip Glow because they often shift to an unflattering color. The ones from NARS have a more subtle color change and are nicely hydrating. I can wear it to the gym, use it for touch ups or on low-key makeup days.
- By Terry Baume de Rose (mini size shown which was limited-edition) is the thickest most lush hydrating pot lip balm I’ve tried. It’s also one of the most expensive lip splurges I’ve made and repurchased several times over because I do think it’s 100% worth it. I will need to repurchase the full size very soon as I’ve nearly finished all the minis I’ve kept on hand.
- EM Cosmetics Lip Cushion in Magic Hour* is more of a color product rather than skincare, but it’s the most hydrating lipstick I’ve ever tried! It feels lush and hydrating and smooth on the lips and is very comforting. I feel like it is a truly universally flattering color (as described) and it comes in the prettiest peachy pink nude with a lush shine. I hope they will launch this in more colors! Full review + swatches soon.
- Hourglass No. 28 Lip Treatment Oil in any of the tinted shades are the best lip oils I’ve tried. There are a number of “oil-infused” launches this spring and I will be doing an updated lip roundup soon. Many of them just don’t hold up to my expectations for hydration. A lot of them will add a nice shine to the lips like a gloss but don’t have the same hydrating properties like a true oil. As expensive as the Hourglass ones are I think they’re among the best. You can see the tinted versions swatched in my last year’s balm hits and misses here.
- Fresh Sugar Advanced Therapy Lip Treatment is a balm I always find myself gifting away. I accumulate a lot from GWPs, press samples and various sets so I’m always splitting them up and sending them off to friends, family and readers. I finally decided to keep one and try it for myself and WOW! This is significantly more hydrating than the regular Fresh Sugar Lip Treatments (ones with tint) and I absolutely love it. It’s hydrating, smooth, smells delicious and prevents peeling. Also available in mini size in various sets like this 6-piece Travel Size Set, Travel Duo, On-The-Go Set to name a few.
Body + Hand Care
For the body I’ve been loving a few unscented body creams or super light oils. As much as I love a good fragranced body lotion or cream, sometimes I just want something that won’t interfere with my perfume or one I can sleep in easily. Sometimes heavily perfumed face products or body creams prevent me from falling asleep.
Two body creams I’ve been loving are the Necessaire Body Lotion in the Fragrance Free version. I ordered it over the holiday as I’ve seen it everywhere on Instagram and I was influenced to buy it. I really like that it’s hydrating, smooth and has a soft velvety dry down. It absorbs into the skin nicely and doesn’t feel too heavy. I think it’s reasonably priced. (On the nails is the new Chanel Le Vernis in Daydream, review soon.)
I’ve also loved the Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Nude Cream which I reviewed last November when it launched (it made my favorites list). It’s now also available at Sephora. I still use it almost every day and love how it’s hydrating, soothing and smooths out the skin. I’m not the biggest fan of the packaging because I find it a little bulky but it’s not a deal breaker and I actually do like the pump. It has a soft velvety dry down so it’s not greasy feeling. I feel like this is like the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream in body cream form (many of my friends have told me they’ve used the face cream as body cream).
I also wanted to mention that the Kate Somerville Dry Skin Saver is another great unscented body cream that works for my skin. Both Andrew and I really like it.
For body oils the Chanel Gentle Oil for Body and Hair* has been at the top of my list for body oils. It’s lightweight, absorbs beautifully, makes the skin ultra soft and has the most beautiful lightweight fresh scent. If you’re familiar with the Fresh Body Cream version, the oil smells the same.
Skin Care Loves
For skincare my favorite moisturizer is still the Chanel Hydra Beauty Camellia Water Cream* for it’s lightweight texture and beautiful finish. On days I need extra moisture I’ve found myself loving the SkinRX Lab MadeCera Cream* that I got from Soko Glam for an ultra calming and affordable hydrating cream. (Full review here.)
I’ve also really been loving the Augustinus Bader Cream and Rich Cream. I ordered a limited-edition set from their site but they now have the 15 ml available at Sephora and they still have the Duo Set 2 x 30 ml available at Nordstrom. I’ve been testing the Augustinus Bader Cream, Rich Cream and Victoria Beckham Cell Rejuvinating Moisturizing Primer for several weeks now. The Rich Cream is the best for winter or very dry skin. The Cream is my favorite for year round for my skin type. Both of these made my skin look significantly smoother and healthier. I think the Victoria Beckham version is nice for summer but it is the lightest out of the three and didn’t add a significant amount of moisture for my skin.
I will most likely be purchasing the regular Cream in the larger size once I’ve used up the mini.
For a more affordable option that works I’ve also been loving the Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Face Cream. The rose scent is subtle and isn’t overpowering once it absorbs into the skin. I like that it really is super hydrating without feeling heavy or greasy. It calms my skin on the days it has flare ups from allergic reactions. It soothes when it’s super dry and itchy. I think it’s a nice one to try!
For night time I usually let my skin breathe naturally without product except lip balm or eye cream, but I have started using the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate Oil again and love it. It helps balance out the skin overnight and is a great moisturizer that absorbs into the skin. You can also find it in a mini size in their Nourishing Essentials Set that comes with their Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado.
For eyes I’ve been rotating between the Tatcha Silk Peony Melting Eye Cream* and the Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado. Both are super hydrating and have helped smooth out those tiny little lines that creep up when my skin is dry. I alternate between the two for day or night. They are on the rich/heavy side so when the hot humid weather returns to Florida these will most likely only be used at night for me.
For face-mists I’ve been loving the Chanel Sublimage La Brume for extra moisture but with a super fine mist. I feel like a broken record raving about it but I truly love it. I never want to be without it.
For sheet masks my I feel like my favorites will forever be the 111Skin ones. I have tried a few other ones recently (roundup soon) and really love the Joanna Vargas Forever Glow Anti-Aging Face Mask for a hydrating calming one and the Twilight Face Mask for deeper moisture and softening. The Forever Glow feels fresh and hydrating while the Twilight is heavier and makes the skin feel like baby’s skin. She has a Glow to Go Mask Set that has one of every sheet mask formula if you want to try them out before buying a full set.
That wraps up my winter skincare favorites! Would love to hear what yours are right now. I know Florida has a mild winter compared to other places, but it’s still dry and I hope this roundup gives you some ideas on what to try in case you’re looking for extra moisture for your skin.
Press samples featured have a * next to them.