I’m back with a spring skincare post. I did an extensive overview back in November of my favorite face cleansers, cleansing waters and toners. Out of all the beauty products I use I think I go through face wash the most. I feel like having clean skin and finding a product that effectively removes dirt, makeup, residue and pollution makes all the difference in having good skin. I get asked a lot for recommendations on products that will smooth pores but I think the first step to reducing pore size is to look at your skincare. A good place to start is with cleansers.
Quick note that I do use more face wash than the average person. I often wash my face multiple times per day. I start each morning with a cleanse whether it’s at the sink or in the tub or shower. Anytime I work out I follow again with a face wash. When I’m swatching a lot of foundations or product on my face I wash it again. If I’m in a pool or at the beach, once I’m back at home, I wash again. For times I’m out and about and don’t have access to my home sink I bring wipes with me (more on these soon as I’m still testing a bunch). And I end the days washing my face as well. Finding a good cleanser that is effective but gentle is essential so my skin doesn’t become irritated or dried out.
My absolute favorite brand for face cleanser is Kate Somerville. Her line of cleansers have been the most reliable for me no matter what condition my skin is or what the weather/season is like. Her skincare line in general has been life changing for me. If you are ever in Los Angeles and can make a trip to the Kate Somerville Clinic on Melrose I highly recommend you book a visit. There’s a new cleanser out called the Cold Cream which is really amazing. I also wanted to highlight all the ones I’ve tried as I know I’ve done roundups here and there but some of you wanted a comprehensive post. I feel like the price point of her cleansers is very reasonable.
From top to bottom:
- ExfoliKate Cleanser Daily Foaming Wash is a very gentle exfoliating wash that has glycolic and lactic acids and natural fruit enzyme. There are is a slight hint of texture but it’s not anything like a scrub. Unlike her ExfoliKate Scrub, the Cleanser doesn’t have any tingle. If your skin feels congested this is a great option. I can use it daily without it irritating or drying my skin.
- Gentle Daily Wash is a gel based wash for sensitive skin. My brother uses this often and it’s gentle enough for his ultra sensitive skin. This was my go-to when I was in San Diego. In Florida I need something stronger but I still find this great for days I’m sensitive or just want something really soft.
- Detox Daily Cleanser is best for normal or oily skin. I am obsessed with this for Florida weather. It doesn’t dry out my skin and leaves the skin feeling smooth. I would say that in normal weather conditions I liked to use this post work out.
- EradiKate Daily Foaming Cleanser for Acne Treatment is Andrew’s favorite. This is for acne-prone skin and has 3% Sulfur which targets acne and clogged pores. This helps him with excess oil and rebalances his skin. It’s helped to minimize his pores when he uses this and exfoliates on a regular basis. I also use this frequently. It helps during times I feel like my skin is congested.
- Cold Cream Moisturizing Cleanser is the latest from Kate Somerville. It’s for all skin types but does have the nicest moisturizing feel once wiped off. It’s a creamy cold cleanser with white Kiawe honey, jasmine, rose and daisy extracts. You apply on a dry face and wipe off with a warm wash cloth. It’s a cleanser + makeup remover in one. For me it removes all my face makeup and for eye makeup it does a pretty good job at removing it. I still prefer using a makeup remover on a cotton pad for eyes first as it’s less messy. Skin is left noticeably smooth after use. I actually like using this in the morning because it feels refreshing and smooth.
Next are a couple Fresh favorites. Everyone raves about the Soy Face Cleanser and I might be the only person who did not like it. I decided to try the Peony Brightening Foam Face Cleanser instead and love it. It’s a very lightweight almost airy like cleanser that foams up nicely. I haven’t noticed any brightening effects but skin does feel really fresh and clean after use. I also have really been loving the Fresh Sugar Face Polish. The one I have below is an empty mini but I have it on my wishlist to restock during the upcoming Sephora Beauty Insider event although there is a tempting Fresh GWP going on at Nordstrom right now.
Last some Japanese beauty cleansers from Shu Uemura and Tatcha that I’ve had in rotation from Tatcha. I did a roundup of the Shu Uemura Cleansing Oils last year in this post. I repurchased the PoreFinist and Blanc Chroma after using those up. They have a soft fresh floral scent but it’s non-irritating. They both have a very smooth feel to them and do an excellent job at cleansing the skin. Tatcha is another favorite for sensitive dry skin but they have expanded their line to include items for normal/combo. The Deep Cleanse is a great everyday cleanser for normal skin. You only need a tiny amount and a little goes a long way to cover the face. Their Camellia Cleansing Oil is a classic you really can’t go wrong with. For a double cleanse I’ll often use the Rice Enzyme Powder to gently exfoliate and cleanse the face.
My favorites change on a regular basis. I keep multiples on stock as I like to rotate weekly. I also keep different ones in the bath vs. shower vs. bathroom counter around the house. My current favorite go-to’s are the Kate Somerville Gentle Daily Wash, EradiKate Wash, Cold Cream and all three items from Tatcha. If you’re in the market for a spring cleanser I hope these give you some ideas!
You can find the cleansers available at a wide range of retailers. Ones I shop at frequently listed below:
Tatcha can be found at Sephora and Tatcha.
Kate Somerville available at Sephora, Nordstrom and Kate Somerville.
Shu Uemura online at Shu Uemura USA.
Fresh at Sephora, Nordstrom and Fresh.
What’s your favorite cleanser right now?
Press samples include the Kate Somerville Cold Cream, EradiKate Cleanser, Tatcha The Deep Cleanse, Tatcha Rice Powder.