I’m starting a new series on empties which I’ll be doing every 2-3 months. As a beauty blogger, I test a lot of product and it’s pretty much impossible to use up everything. A lot of you have asked what I do with all the stuff I review or receive. I have favorites I use on a regular basis, I have tried-and-true products I don’t always feature on repeat because they’ve sold out or are limited-edition. Some items I keep on hand for comparisons. I also share a lot with friends, family and readers too! And of course as much as I’d hate to admit this, often times product expires before it gets used up so it gets tossed.
Things I use up or toss on a regular basis such as mascara, liquid eyeliner, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. that I probably won’t share unless you’re interested. In today’s post I’m showing you most of what I used up in January and February of this year. I say “most” because I actually did a huge purge of near empties when we moved. Andrew rescued some of these from our bathroom trash bin and said I should save them for an empties post because he was sure a lot of readers would want to know what I’ve used up. Press samples have a * next to them.
Part 1: Cleansers and Removers
I am obsessed with cleansing waters. I often use them as part of a multi-step process to clean my skin or to remove makeup in between swatches.
- Almay Longwear & Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover Pads are pretty much the only makeup remover that will remove my waterproof mascara – thanks to all my readers who recommended this to me via Instagram, also if you buy these in store note there are two variations, the one with the oil is the one you want to get!
- La Roche Posay Micellar Water for Sensitive Skin – there are several variations of this, I think mine is an older version because the current ones are called Micellar Water Ultra – you can find at a wide range of locations like Target and Ulta, I ordered mine direct from their website
- Elemis White Flowers Eye and Lip Make-Up Remover is something I used up but won’t repurchase, it takes at least 3 soaked pads for me to remove my waterproof mascara (I have to soak, press onto lids for a few seconds and remove, then repeat)
- Deborah Lippmann The Stripper Polish Remover is my favorite nail polish remover that won’t dry out the nails or make them peel, it’s gentle enough for me to use frequently especially when I’m swatching nail product
- MAC Brush Cleanser is something I go through a lot of, and yes you can use baby shampoo, but I actually don’t like it because it always leaves a film on my brushes
- Bioderma Sensibio Lotion is a gentle toner that I love, I also have the larger size but keep minis on hand for travel
- Bioderma Sebium H20 is one of my favorite cleansing waters, it won’t remove waterproof makeup but is great for the face (this one still has a tiny bit of product left, probably about 1/2 inch which is why you still see liquid inside)
- Sephora Collection The Cleanse Daily Brush Cleanser is something I use for a quick clean when I’m swatching, it’s also great for travel if you just need something to do a surface clean
- MAC Gently Off Wipes + Micellar Water * is gentle to multiple times over when I’m lip swatching or face swatching
- beautyblender cleanser solid is pretty much the best thing to clean beautyblender sponges
Part 2: Hair Products
Some hair styling products I’ve used up:
- Oribe Gold Lust Dry Shampoo is one of my favorites, I am obsessed with the way it smells!
- Oribe Apres Beach Wave and Shine Spray is another favorite I leave in damp hair and let it air dry for a natural wave
- Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo for Dark Tones is another great option that doesn’t leave my dark hair pasty white
- Christophe Robin Hydrating Leave In with Aloe Vera * works wonders as a detangler that won’t leave the hair sticky
Part 3: Bath and Shower
I go through a lot of bath and shower products. I would say that it’s this category that is missing a lot of my empties because I threw out a ton of used up product a couple weeks ago.
- Fresh Sugar Lychee Sugar Bath Cubes are my favorite to make the bath smell amazing, these are spendy and the rate I use these up is pretty expensive, but I love them!
- Verb Ghost Shampoo (large size) I love this shampoo, it’s hard to find product that works well in Florida water! I also bought the conditioner but I don’t condition as much as I shampoo so they always last at least twice as long
- Le Labo Shampoo and Conditioner are both ones I have mixed feelings on, I like the way they perform and the smell is amazing, but they’re not sulfate free, I don’t know if this is necessarily a bad thing, in Florida I think it’s almost essential to make things lather, the water here is very different from other parts of the US! My husband loves this formula though
- Aesop Geranium Leaf Body Cleanser is a thin formula for body wash but very gentle on the skin
- Sisley Phyto Blanc Lightening Foam Cleanser * has ingredients to lighten the skin, but I didn’t see much change in my skin, I find it gentle and brightening but not really lightening if that makes sense
- Jack Black Face Buff is the best face scrub of all time according to Andrew, we both use this so we go through it pretty fast
- Saturday Skin Rise + Shine Purifying Cleanser is a soft foaming cleanser that is good at removing excess oil without stripping the skin
- Glamglow Supercleanse Clearing Cream-to-Foam Cleanser is one of Andrew’s favorites as well, I like and use it a lot, I prefer the original version but this is more gentle and I can use it daily or just on oily skin days
Part 4: More Skincare
More face and body products that were used up:
- Glamglow Gravity Mud Firming Treatment (sample size) is a firming peel off mask, I did have the full size at some point and used it up, it’s suggested you leave on for 20-30 minutes for it to dry and work it’s magic, I don’t usually have that kind of patience but it does work well to firm the skin
- Glamglow Supermud is the best mask to clear out clogged pores and reduce excess oil, I have lost count of how many I used up
- Tatcha Pore Perfecting Water Gel is the only face gel I’ve liked, most are too sticky or tacky, I’ve since switched to the Water Cream * which is more lightweight and thinner in texture
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Sunscreen is one Andrew likes for the fluid texture
- Kiehl’s Facial Fuel UV Guard SPF is Andrew’s favorite face sunscreen, it’s thin and liquid so it absorbs into the skin and doesn’t feel greasy
- Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen minis I always keep on hand, in the purse and in the car – it’s my favorite body sunscreen that I can reapply regularly without it ever feeling greasy
Part 5: Makeup
A few makeup empties I kept and one almost there! I throw out mascara every month. There were some lip balms I used up recently as well but I didn’t keep the tubes.
- YSL Rouge Volupte Shine #9 (swatched here)
- Tatcha Japanese Blotting Papers are in my top 2 for blotting papers, I go through packs frequently (there are 30 per pack)
- L‘Oreal Lash Paradise Waterproof Mascara is one of my favs
- Saturday Skin All Aglow Cushion is the best full coverage cushion I’ve tried, the only downside is there are 3 shades which is a huge bummer, this was something I ordered sight unseen in 2 shades and I was lucky both of them match me (one for winter, one for summer) – it comes with a refill which is nice
- Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow is almost used up, I’ve hit pan!
- Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish Powder Medium 2 (not shown) is my favorite setting powder, it blurs away imperfections and I threw it out before I thought to save it for an empties post
Part 6: Fragrance
I burn candles on a regular basis and often keep them to recycle for storage. At some point I accumulate too many so I’ve given away quite a few. In February I finished Diptyque Tomas Maier Palm Beach and Baies. I also used up a ton of the miniatures but didn’t keep those.
Creed is a favorite in our house these days. Much to my wallet’s dismay though, Andrew loves Aventus so much he has used up 3 bottles since we discovered it last year. I ended up buying him the flacons for Valentine’s Day and he has a black leather atomizer that he refills. I used up Virgin Island Water in the small size a few months ago but kept the bottle, I think it’s just so pretty I want to keep it!
I also used up Tom Ford Soleil Blanc in the small 5o ml size. Rather than repurchase it I bought the Travel Set (it comes with 3 vials) so I can carry it around with me in my purse. I have the new Eau de Soleil Blanc on my wishlist as well.
That wraps up my empties! Will do another one in a couple of months and I’ve made a mental note to keep all things I use up and not toss so I can share for the next post.
Do you use up beauty products frequently? What did you use up in the last month that you can remember? Hope you have a wonderful weekend! I’m going to try and go through all the comments and answer your questions. New post on Sunday!