Uncategorized

Bioderma Sensibio H2O and Sébium H2O from Beautylish

April 29, 2015

I purchased my first Bioderma product back in February when Beautylish launched the Sensibio H2O online. Bioderma is a brand that’s been on my radar for quite some time but I did not know where to purchase it in the US. Koh Gen Do’s Cleansing Spa Water has been a long time favorite of mine out of all the cleansing waters I have tried so I didn’t think to try very hard to look for the Bioderma (I’ve since found out that select Marukai Japanese markets and Amazon carries it too). I ordered the 250 ml size and fell in love immediately as it’s a super gentle no-rinse micellar cleansing water/makeup remover that doesn’t sting. In March, I was able to see the Sébium at The Makeup Show LA. I’ve been testing both formulas for several weeks and finally have a review ready to share with you today.

First, on prices and sizing. There are multiple size options for Bioderma. Beautylish currently carries three size options with different pairing options. If you shop elsewhere via Amazon or local markets, prices will have a wide range depending on size. I like shopping via Beautylish because their customer service is excellent, shipping is fast, tracking is easy and prices are consistent:
  • 250 ml retails for $13.95
  • 500 ml + travel size bonus retails for $19.95
  • Pro Pack with 500 ml x2 + 250 ml x1 bonus retails for $39.90
_________________

The Sensibio H2O is a gentle makeup remover micellar cleansing solution that is designed for sensitive skin. It’s fragrance-free, alcohol-free, paraben-free and hypoallergenic. This is good for extremely sensitive skin. I like that it doesn’t leave any residue on the skin. In terms of how well it removes makeup, in general cleansing waters are best to use for face makeup. The gentle nature of cleansing waters makes it good for the face, but not so great for eye makeup. No matter what kind of face cleanser I’m using, I always use dual-phase eye makeup removers to remove eye makeup first (my favorite is from Chanel Gentle Bi-Phase Eye Makeup Remover). I like using cleansing waters in conjunction with a traditional gel, cream or soap cleanser to make sure all makeup is removed. I’ll use the cleansing water first, followed by a regular face cleanser to make sure there is no trace of makeup left on my face. Cleansing waters are also good for quick touch ups in the event you have a bit of shadow fall out on the cheeks or under eyes.
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Mannitol, Xylitol, Rhamnose, Fructooligosaccharides, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Cetrimonium Bromide.

The Bioderma Sébium H2O is a purifying cleansing micellar water designed for oily skin. I don’t have super oily skin (it’s more on the combination side) but I actually prefer this one to the sensitive skin version. This one is slightly scented with a fresh almost cucumber-like scent but it’s very gentle. Since this one is designed for oily skin I was worried it would be drying but it didn’t strip the skin. You can really feel it clean the pores and it contains ingredients to help clear the skin. I personally found this removed face my face makeup better than the Sensibio version, but both perform really well. This one is also paraben-free, alcohol-free, soap-free and hypoallergenic.

Ingredients:Aqua/Water/Eau. PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Sodium Citrate, Zinc Gluconate, Copper Sulfate, Gingko Biloba Leaf Extract, Manitol, Xylitol, Rhamnose, Fructooligosaccharides, Propylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Cetrimonium Bromide, Fragrance (Parfum).

Here’s a quick comparison of the size options to two sizes of the Koh Gen Do Cleansing Waters. I believe there is an extra large size of the Koh Gen Do as well, but I have not seen it in person.

In terms of cleansing waters I’ve tested a lot. I have used up the NARS Makeup Removing Water, Dior Instant Cleansing Water, Lancome Eau Fraiche Douceur, Koh Gen Go Cleansing Spa Water, Clarins Water Purify One-Step Cleanser, and the Caudalie Cleansing Water. My most repurchased ones include the Koh Gen Do (I like this formula the best), Lancome (I think this has the best packaging because it comes with a pump) and Caudalie (I love the Caudalie fragrance in this but I know some do not like it). The two I’ve tested from Bioderma are by far significantly more gentle on the skin, which is noticeable during super sensitive skin days. I am still a die-hard fan of the Koh Gen Do because it’s the most effective at removing makeup while still being very gentle, but sometimes it’s nice to switch things up. Bottom line I give Bioderma a thumbs up. I’ve stocked up on multiple sizes and think it’s definitely something I will be using up entirely.

Bottom line: good for quick touchups to remove makeup in detail areas, or as a makeup remover for face makeup. For mascara, eyeshadow, or eyeliners, I still recommend using a bi-phase makeup remover. My top two favorites and most repurchased removers for eye makeup are the Chanel Gentle Bi-Phase Eye Makeup Remover and Neutrogena Oil Free Eye Makeup Remover.

Shelves filled with Bioderma at The Makeup Show LA:

Have you tried the Bioderma Makeup Removers? If so which ones? What did you think? If not, do you have a current cleansing water favorite? You can find the Bioderma Sensibio H2O and Sébium H2O online now at Beautylish. They’ve sold out a few times but have just restocked.
The Beautylish team was kind enough to gift one of the 500 ml Sensibio and one of the 500 ml Sébium cleansing waters, but I purchased a second set online in order to get the travel sized minis. All other items purchased by me.

You Might Also Like

• Amanda Hollingsworth April 29, 2015 at 5:58 pm

I love this product….I use the Hydrabio too especially on my forehead which gets very dry. Bio Essence Miracle Bio Water Make up Remover is worth a try if you can get it in U.S. It goes on as a jelly and dissolves into water. I use it on my eyes and it's the best eye make up remover I've ever used. So gentle and not a trace of eye make up left…..bit more expensive than Biodema but seriously worth the money as you use so little but it does so much.

• michelle April 30, 2015 at 2:32 pm

The Bio Essence for eye makeup removal sounds intriguing-not sure we can get it here but thanks for the rec. Comments indicate that people like a hydrating form of Bioderma (Hydrabio) that has my attention. I bought Sensibio during the Beautylish launch & have been enjoying but also like Simple which you can buy at Target & drugstores. I hear great things about Garnier's water which isn't state-side yet but cheap on Feelunique.com

• Anonymous April 29, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Are these ok to use for eye makeup removal? Do you have any recommendations for any eye makeup removers?

• Sabrina April 29, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Thoughts on this topic detailed above in the post with recs to 2 of my favs.

• Nikoleta Ljuljduraj April 29, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Great post! 🙂
    I really like Bioderma, even though its a little bit pricey 🙂

Nikoleta, xoxo.

• Hush Hush April 29, 2015 at 6:33 pm

The Sensibio H2O has been my favourite cleansing micellar water since it launched. I haven't tried Bioderma Sébium H2O yet.

hushhush990.blogspot.com

• transientbeaute.com April 29, 2015 at 6:34 pm

I have been using the one for oily skin for over a year now and I kept wondering if there was much of a difference with the sensitive skin one. Now I know that I don't really need to try it 😉

• Tequila Mockingbird April 29, 2015 at 10:02 pm

I have the Bioderma Hydrabio H2O Micellaire and it's divine for drier skin 🙂

• Hell Notes For Beauty April 29, 2015 at 11:45 pm

They're pricey but worth it. I travel a lot and got this as a sample and loved it. Definitely worth it, need to buy a full size. Great review too!

• Eileen April 30, 2015 at 1:24 am

Like many women, I became curious about Bioderma when Lisa Eldridge started singing its praises. I tried it along with a few other brands (Lancôme, Chanel, Koh Gen Do, and Clarins) and must admit that I am completely disenchanted with the whole micellaire concept. They're OK in a pinch (better than nothing or when access to water is limited) but they do leave a bit of film on the skin and over time, it can build up and cause problems–especially if you have a condition like rosacea or eczema. In numerous magazine articles–both online and print–dermatologists frequently say that when used alone, cleansing waters and cleansing wipes are better suited to short term use because they do leave a potentially irritating film behind.

I've noticed in blog reviews that often times women who love them are also using other cleansing products as well and that probably has a lot to do with their success. In that respect, micellaire waters are being used as a "prewash" so to speak. For me, they're just too much trouble because they don't do a thorough cleansing job and they irritate my skin after a few consecutive uses. I'll stick to my cleansing oil. It removes sunscreen and makeup effortlessly without double cleansing and it never irritates my skin. Aren't we lucky to have such an incredible variety of products from which to choose?

• ahhhsoNeo April 30, 2015 at 3:22 am

I recently purchased this on Beautylish too, and have fallen in love. I've been meaning to try the Koh Gen Doh, but honestly, for now this has my full attention. I've found it very effective at removing foundation and use my beloved Chanel for the eye makeup. It's well worth the price. Great review.

• SJ Sellers April 30, 2015 at 11:39 am

i love the Koh Gen Do! the large size (available at Barneys) is a great value and includes a pump!

• Rachel Knott April 30, 2015 at 11:50 am

Great breakdown of make up removers. I love micellar waters for my sensitive skin, after having been a bi-phase fan previously.

Rachel | http://www.currentlyrachel.com

• SJ Sellers April 30, 2015 at 11:53 am

ahghgh! i just checked Barneys and they don't have the large pump size of Koh Gen Do anymore! super big boo hoo!

• Candice Petersen April 30, 2015 at 12:29 pm

I've heard such great things about these

CANDICE | BEAUTY CANDY LOVES

• bisbee April 30, 2015 at 12:41 pm

I've been using Bioderma for quite a while – I buy it on Amazon. I think my first purchase was on Ebay! I don't use it everyday…probably 3 or 4 times a week. The other days I use Tatcha cleansing oil. I use Lancome Bi Facil for eye makeup – I've read where others say the Bioderma removes eye makeup perfectly, but I've never found that to be the case…great for the face though. I've never had an issue with it leaving a film…

• Fancie April 30, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Hmm I was pretty set on trying these but I think I'm going to try the Koh Gen Do one since everyone keeps raving about it. I really want to try a cleansing water that's a one stop shop

Follow me to Fancieland

• Anonymous May 1, 2015 at 10:41 am

The Bioderma line is easy availeble here in Germany. It is realy cheap in France and affordable where I live. Since my pharmacie around the corner sells it, I was able to try a lot from this skincare brand.I would say everything is very basic in texture and performance. My opinion is, for makeup artist on shoots and fashion shows it is good, because it is cheap ( ! ) and good on sensitive skin.For me it is not a must have, because I am not a makeup artist and I am not changing my makeup several times a day. Guys, please do not be unhappy if you can not get it!
    Greetings from Germany Sabrina,I love your blog work!

• Eighty Sundrops May 2, 2015 at 10:31 pm

I've used both Bioderma Sensibio H2O and Sébium H2O as both are easy to find in-stores in Canada (I get mine through Shopper's Drug Mart). Like you, I prefer the Sébium H2O because the Sensibio feels like it leaves something on skin that makes me break out. Oddly enough, the Sensibio is very good for removing Boscia peeling masks and that's the only time it won't break me out. I'm looking forward to testing out the Bioderma Hydrabio H2O.

• powered by chloédigital