I want to get to know more about my readers so I thought it would be fun to ask why you love makeup & what you look for in a brand. My love for high-priced beauty products is a constant mystery to my husband as he has asked me on several occasions “how many makeup brushes does a girl need?” To that, I cannot give an definite answer, I only know that I have accumulated way too many and that it didn’t happen overnight.
I’d also love to hear what you look for in a brand. Are you brand loyal? Or is there something else you look for in buying beauty products? As consumers, we are constantly bombarded with advertising coming at us from all angles. With the millions of products out there promising us luminous skin, luscious full lips, dramatic eyes and silky hair – how do you sort through all the information to decide what to buy and try out? Sometimes it’s easier to just stick with a few familiar brands because you know you can rely on them for consistency.
Here are my answers:
1) Why Do I Love Makeup? I can’t exactly explain why I love makeup so much, but for me it’s fun, addictive, pretty and I have little willpower to resist a sparkly eyeshadow, light pink lipstick, or soft fluffy eyeshadow brush. I like makeup because it makes me feel like a better version of myself when I have even skintone from a bit of foundation and powder. Part of it is that it makes me feel better about the areas I am insecure about, while it doesn’t cure a bad mood or depression all the time, it usually makes me feel better when I at least feel that I look good.
2) What Do I Look For in a Brand? This is a bit more complicated for me. There are a lot of things I look for in a brand. I’m not the type to be loyal to one brand, although there are definitely brands I feel like I can rely on for consistency and quality. I like products that give a classic timeless look, but I also like new things. So what else do I look for?
- High quality, good pigment, nice textures at a decent price
- Natural wearable feminine colors but I love unique shades too
- Packaging needs to be sturdy, design needs to be cute or classic or simple
- Decent incentives (GWPs or samples) to show appreciation for business
- Products that are timeless and classic, but modern and new at the same time
Last but definitely not least, I think the whole experience of buying something makes or breaks a brand. There have been a few brands I have fallen completely in love with because of the GREAT customer service I have received. Likewise, there have been a couple occasions with some brands that have totally killed my desire to try any more products or shop at a particular store.
Am I too demanding as a customer? After all, how much can companies innovate? Can they keep bringing us new things that fit our needs/wants/likes? Many times I feel like certain brands repeatedly release the same types of colors year after year – but perhaps that just means I have maxed out on my product capacity and should focus on using things up rather than focus on looking for new things.
3) What are my top favorite brands? I have to admit this has changed over the years and is still changing.
- In my early 20’s it was Stila, Nars, Trish and Bobbi Brown.
- In my mid 20’s it was Chanel, MAC, Dior and Armani.
- I’m now in my late 20’s and today, my list of favorite brands has expanded to include a wider variety Chanel, Armani, Bobbi Brown, Paul & Joe, Edward Bess, Dolce & Gabbana.
So, beauty addicts unite! I’d love to hear your reasons for why you love makeup and about your favorite brands.