Doing a little his and hers shelfie today rounding up our fragrance favorites of the year. Looking back on my archives I haven’t done a scent roundup since early spring but quite a few have been on repeat for months. I used up several bottles year including Tom Ford Sole di Positano, Soleil Blanc, Creed Virgin Island Water and the Replica Glow Filter. Andrew has gone through several bottles of Creed Aventus and Chanel Bleu de Chanel. More details on our favorites below.
Best Colognes of the Year for Him
Andrew’s favorites: Andrew is probably like most men where he has 2-3 main go-to colognes depending on occasion. Ideally he wants a minimal and well edited grooming routine where he finds something he loves and sticks with it. This year he discovered Creed when I brought him back a couple mini vial samples from the Creed New York Boutique. He fell in love with Aventus and we both wondered why we had not discovered this sooner. If he had to pick one scent for the rest of his life it would be this one.
- Creed Leather Atomizer Small ($175, holds 10 ml) is something Andrew asked me to buy him after he saw my small turquoise one (shown here). He likes to have something he can carry with him when we travel. We found one in Black and Silver at a local Neiman Marcus and he’s obsessed with it. It’s small, sturdy and easy to fit in a dopp kit without taking up a lot of space.
- Creed Aventus ($375 for 75 ml) is the ultimate scent for men. It has a fresh but masculine mix that is suitable year round for any occasion. Both of us agree this is what a great fragrance smells like. Much to my wallet’s dismay he’s used up several bottles, but the Creed team kindly sent one for the holiday with their Engraved Medallion which they’re offering with any 75 ml bottle purchase on their website. (The engraving option is available on each fragrance page.) You can pick up to 3 letters that they’ll engrave on the back.
- Dior Sauvage Eau de Toilette ($74 to $145) has been on Andrew’s list since it launched. Since discovering Creed the Dior has moved down on his favorites, but it’s a great everyday scent that isn’t overpowering and light. His brother came over once and the two of them were going through his skincare and grooming routine. He smelled this and really liked it and asked us to buy him one for Christmas. They are complete opposites so I’d say the Dior is a good safe option that I think will appeal to most men.
- Chanel Bleu de Chanel Eau de Parfum Set ($154) Andrew has tried pretty much all the Chanel men’s colognes and eau de toilettes and the Bleu de Chanel is his favorite. He actually prefers buying it in the Travel Spray atomizer because it’s easier to carry in places like his briefcase. I like that you can buy the refills separately as well on Chanel.com. He’s tried both the Parfum and Eau de Toilette versions. He prefers the Eau de Toilette because it has a more fresh and modern vibe but both are really good.
- Bleu de Chanel Notes – I can’t find the exact list, but this is a woody citrus that’s clean but masculine
- Molton Brown Russian Leather Eau de Toilette ($65 for 1.7 fl oz) was a new Molton Brown launch this year. It’s clearly masculine and does indeed have a rich leather vibe to it. It has a classic smoky but slightly modern feel to it. It’s different from the fresh scents Andrew gravitates towards. Lasting power on him is really good with this one. It’s not as universal as the other ones listed above, you will either love or hate it. We both love it.
- Russian Leather notes include Elemi, Black tea, Purple Basil, Siberian Pine, Tobacco, Birch, Vetiver, Leather and Cade
- Also shown, Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate which is mine but he also uses it, Diptyque Chene candle recycled
Sabrina’s Favorite Perfumes of the Year
My favorites this year have been from Tom Ford and Creed. I feel like I’ve lived in Sole di Positano, Soleil Blanc and Virgin Island Water (used up and not shown). Of course as usual my list is more extensive. I cannot stick to one perfume just like I cannot have just one or two nude lipsticks. I’m a true beauty junkie. I normally have liked scents with sandalwood or some kind of amber, but based on my list below it appears I’m really one who loves bergamot and scents that are more citrus based with some florals mixed in.
- Byredo Hair Mist in Bal D’Afrique and Mojave Ghost ($62 each for 75 ml) are two I debated on for months and finally splurged. I love both as Bal D’Afrique is sweeter and Mojave Ghost is lighter and brighter. I already own the Bal D’Afrique perfume and love it. I’ve used up four mini vials of the Mojave Ghost and should just buy the full size perfume already. The hair mist has decent lasting power, even in Florida heat. It has a nice mist dispenser which sprays it evenly over the hair.
- Notes for Bal D’Afrique include African Marigold, Bergamot, Bucchu, Lemon, Neroli, Cyclamen, Jasmin Petals, violet, Black Amber, Moroccan Cedarwood, Musk and Vetiver
- Notes for Mojave Ghost include Ambrette, magnolia, sandalwood, violet, cedarwood, chantilly musk, crisp amber
- Tom Ford Sole di Positano ($230 for 50 ml) was reviewed here in this post, one of the best bergamot scents I’ve tried! Used it up entirely and it’s on my wishlist to repurchase once I work my way down through other ones
- Notes include Italian bergamot, petitgrain bigarade, lemon, mandarin leaves, shiso leaf
- Tom Ford Soleil Blanc ($230 for 50 ml) probably my favorite scent ever, best white floral that smells like spring and summer and sunshine
- Notes include bergamot, cardamom oil Orpur, pistachio accord, ylang ylang, benzoin extract Orpur, coco de mer accord
- Also available in this gorgeous Travel Atomizer Set ($230 for 10 ml each)
- Creed Leather Atomizer ($175) makes for such a beautiful gift – it comes with a funnel to make it easy to pour inside, these come in multiple colors, I have the aqua one and this silver one is so pretty for holiday!
- Creed Love in White ($350 for 75 ml) is one of the scents most of you have recommended to me, I finally tried it and fell in love. The Creed sent one for holiday feature – this too comes with a complimentary engraved gold medallion for any 75 ml bottle or larger. This is such a beautiful feminine fresh scent, I will be wearing it for months to follow and probably will do so for years!
- Notes include orange zest, Florentine iris, daffodils, magnolia, Bulgarian rose, Tonkin rice, vanilla, ambergris and Mysore sandalwood
- Creed Virgin Island Water ($290 for 50 ml) not shown because I’ve used mine up, this is the ultimate vacation scent. Living in Florida it feels like I’m living in a permanent vacay state of mine with the weather so it’s fitting to wear it any time of year!
- Notes include Sicilian white bergamot, Jamaican lime, Sicilian mandarin, hibiscus, ylang-ylang, Indian jasmine, Tonkin musk and tropical wood
- Jo Malone Wood Sage and Sea Salt ($135 for 3.4 oz) is my favorite layering cologne. It’s one I can definitely wear alone to but it layers so nicely with other scents like Wild Bluebell and pretty much anything else. This is my year-round scent that I can wear no matter what the weather is like.
- Notes include Bergamot, ambrette seeds, buchu leaves, sea salt, mineral accord, dry fruits, driftwood accord, guaiac wood, white musk, sage.
- Atelier Cologne Coffret Collection ($275 customizable set) I discovered Atelier Cologne this fall in San Francisco. We passed by a boutique and I had such an amazing experience there. I bought a small travel spray of Bois Blonds and used it up within weeks. The store sent us home with tiny vial samples of a few others we liked and you can actually buy the Sampler Set for $35on their website which is genius! All fragrance brands should do something like this. I’ve since bought a few boxed sets from Sephora and also already used up an Orange Sanguine. On Atelier Cologne’s website you can make your own boxed sets. I ordered one and am so excited! A few thoughts on each one:
- Clementine California is a bright citrus with clementine, juniper berries, pepper and sandalwood
- Oolang Infini is one of the best calming scents with bergamot, neroli and freesia
- Vanilla Insensee is one of two vanilla scents I’ve been able to wear, the vast majority of vanilla based scents are too sweet and too rich for me to wear, this one has coriander, jasmine and vetiver mixed in
- Bois Blonds is a beautiful peppery wood scent with neroli and bergamot
- Orange Sanguine is a blood orange with cedarwood, black pepper and jasmine
- Also found at Sephora, Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom if you have one near by to smell them in person (although they don’t have all the size options in stores, you’ll have to shop them online)
- L’Artisan Mure et Musc ($96 for 1.7 oz) is the best berry scent I’ve tried. This brand unfortunately has become increasingly more difficult for me to find as I can only find it online at Bloomingdale’s and Saks Fifth Avenue (no stores near me). This is a classic I think everyone should try, it has the most beautiful mix of berry and musk without being too sweet.
- Notes include lemon, orange, basil, lavendar, blackberry, jasmine, musks, patchouli and oakmoss
- Replica Glow Filter ($55 for 1.7 oz) was initially reviewed here a while ago, this is a perfumed oil spray which can also be used as a primer for other fragrances. I like to wear it alone all over because it’s an oil I like it as a body moisturizer. I’ve since used up an entire bottle (this one is my second) and it smells like fresh clean warm skin to me.
- Maison Kurkdjian Aqua Universalis Hair Mist ($65 for 70 ml) is an alcohol-free hair mist which is a light airy scent. It has a linen feel to it with the freshness, it has a combination of lily of the valley, mock orange, bergamot, lemon, and musky wood. Makes me feel like I’m walking on a cloud!
I hope you enjoyed our favorites roundup! As always let me know what your favorite scents were this year. I live to read about what other people wear. There are so many perfumes on the market it’s just overwhelming to decide where to look or what to try. I loved that dozens of you have commented and e-mailed me to recommend Creed Love in White.
Fragrance Favorites of the Year
If Andrew had to pick one favorite, you can guess it would be Creed Aventus hands down. If I had to pick one I would not be able to. But if I had to pick three I could narrow it down to Tom Ford Sole di Positano, Tom Ford Soleil Blanc and Creed Love in White. If I could add two more the next ones to follow would be Atelier Cologne Oolang Infini and Byredo Mojave Ghost.
Did you discover anything new in perfume this year? Or do you stick to your tried and true? Do you use hair perfume? Let me know which ones you’ve tried and love! I’ll be rounding up my favorites of the year in a few other categories in upcoming posts so stay tuned! Also working on review of the new NARS foundation, Tom Ford Eyeshadow Singles and Matte Lipsticks from Laura Mercier. Trying to get everything swatched and tested before the end of the year.
I’m doing another giveaway! I’ll pick one person and send them 3 Byredo Hair Perfumes of their choice. Open internationally but you must be 18 years or older to qualify. Simply enter through the widget below. Terms and conditions in the widget. Giveaway will run through 12/23 – I’ll pick a winner within 48 hours after it ends and e-mail them. Winner must respond within 48 hours or another person will be picked in their place. Not affiliated or sponsored.
Press samples featured include Chanel Bleu de Chanel gift set, Creed Aventus + Love in White + Silver Atomizer, Tom Ford Sole di Positano, Molton Brown Russian Leather.