Tom Ford Lip Color Shine: Quiver, Insidious and Frolic

Anything Tom Ford releases these days catches my eye immediately. The new semi-transparent Lip Color Shines ($48 each for .12 oz/3.5g at Saks, Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman) released a month ago have been on my radar but the insanely high price tag had me hesitant to buy before trying. Still, after looking at swatches online for hours, I decided to order a few online. I love Tom Ford Lipsticks (swatched here) and Lip Glosses (swatched here) so I figured there was at least one I was bound to fall in love with. I’ve started with Quiver (a pale cool pink), Insidious (a brighter peach), and Frolic (a nude peach).

All the lip shines have a delicious subtle vanilla cake scent (soft, not strong) that lingers for about 20 minutes before fading. The texture of the Tom Ford Lip Color Shines is smooth and creamy, slightly thick, but on the soft side. All the colors I picked have quite a bit of shimmer in the tube, on the lips there is noticeable shimmer, but it’s subtle (not frost). The finish is quite glossy, but the slightly thick texture helps the color adhere to the lips. The colors are on the sheer/natural side but show up.

Close ups and swatches, here you can see the shimmer:

(Sorry for the inconsistent lighting, lip swatches are really difficult for me.) Compared to YSL’s Rouge Volupte Shines and Chanel’s Rouge Coco Shines, I would say Tom Ford’s new sheer lipsticks are definitely similar. The differences:
  • YSL has the most pigment and darker/brighter color range, these glide on the smoothest
  • Chanel has a more diverse color range on the neutrals/roses, colors are slightly sheerer than Tom Ford
  • Tom Ford has the thickest texture, strongest scent and a great neutral range

In terms of lasting power, strongest to weakest is YSL, Tom Ford and then Chanel. However since all are on the sheer/glossy side, the lasting power is still medium like most glossy sheer lipsticks. I’m overall pleased with these, although YSL’s Rouge Volupte Shines win my heart for all over formula, color and price (Tom Fords come in close second).

The price will kill your wallet. For a sheer lipstick, I really expected the price points to be a lot lower. If you’re looking for a similar color to these but want more pigment, here are my suggestions:

• Tom Ford Quiver – look at Dolce & Gabbana’s Shine lipsticks in Charm, Rosebud, Love or Emotion
  • Tom Ford Insidious – check out Chanel Flirt Rouge Coco Shine or Dior Diablotine
  • Tom Ford Frolic – check out Burberry’s Cameo
I like really these for the quality, feel and natural shine but feel the $48 would be better spent on a regular Tom Ford Lipstick or used towards their blushes. For some reference Karla Sugar and Wondegondigo have all the shades swatched on their blogs.
Did you try or pick up any of the Tom Ford Lip Color Shines? What’s your favorite shade?

Comments

1. March 27, 2013 / 4:14 am

I love all the shades you have, but like you mentioned about the price, I know I almost choked on my water when I first found out they were $48. I love YSL's version though, so I might just stick with them for my glossy, sheer lipstick needs. I do want to splurge on a Tom Ford something at some point though, even if it's not one of these lip shines.

• March 27, 2013 / 4:02 pm

Hi Tiffany, I agree – I still can't believe I spent that much on a single lipstick. I do think its worth the splurge for a few though – there are some lovely shades 🙂

2. March 27, 2013 / 4:30 am

I only have one Tom Ford Lipstick, for which I paid $6o Canadian! I'll have to check if these are available in my country, as most Tom Ford cosmetics are not, that might be better for my wallet actually.

3. March 27, 2013 / 4:40 am

Hi Sabrina, Quiver catches my eye initially, but Frolic looks beautiful too! Your notes on the different brand ranges were really helpful; as you mentioned, sheer formulas are quite an investment for the color payoff so I haven't dabbled in them as much as I'd like to 🙂

4. March 27, 2013 / 10:05 am

Insidious looks amazing on you! I love the look of Frolic in the tube, but it isn't as pigmented as I'd hoped – can you layer it up to achieve a more intense colour?

• March 27, 2013 / 4:04 pm

Hi Elle – you can definitely layer for more color, Frolic matches my lips pretty close, I think Temptalia has a detailed review on a few shades which were really helpful. Layering won't give full coverage though unfortunately.

5. March 27, 2013 / 10:42 am

Quiver is so beautiful!

March 27, 2013 / 11:11 am

Are the YSL ones scented?

• March 27, 2013 / 4:06 pm

Yes, they have the same scent as all their rouge volupte formulas (regular, perles, candy). Scented like candy/grapefruit.

7. March 27, 2013 / 11:39 am

Insidious is such a pretty color! I couldn't at $48… even if I wanted to splurge, I think I'll pass. Like Tiffany says above.. I would rather get the YSL RV shines. I wish TF lippies weren't so over the top in prices.

8. March 27, 2013 / 12:16 pm

I love your choices! I wanna check out some reds as well, but my problem is as you said the price tag is insane for a sheer lipstick, that you should have to apply over and over again, with his regular lipsticks you can somehow justify the prices if you want to .. I really like TM's beauty line but the prices are too much 🙁
    Anyway thanks always for the beautiful pics and swatches !! xx
    Rana

9. March 27, 2013 / 1:40 pm

Hi Sabrina, Thank you so much for the link love. I adore you beautiful blog!

• March 27, 2013 / 4:06 pm

You're welcome – your swatches are lovely!!! And so helpful!

10. March 27, 2013 / 6:00 pm

I think Frolic is pretty nice, but a little disappointed when I saw the swatch. Insidious is the winner for me, also looks very good on you 🙂

11. March 28, 2013 / 11:53 am

I've got Ravenous – which is a deeper, brighter version of Quiver. I do love it…but after that I got 2 shades of YSL Volupte Shine – I like them better and for less $$$.

12. March 29, 2013 / 1:36 am

OMG I want to bite them! These are so gorgeous, I love all three of them. TF lipstick shades are just perfection!

13. March 29, 2013 / 12:14 pm

I just got the YSL version so I'm going to try that one out first. I'm not even sure if these will be coming to Belgium which might be the best for my wallet, haha. I really love the shades on you tho, the glossy finish is really pretty and the shades are just my thing!

14. March 30, 2013 / 6:06 am

I'm seriously considering Insidious since Flirt is my most fave RCShine ever. I agree w/ you, YSL Volupte Shine is quite good in terms of formula and pigment.

15. April 4, 2013 / 3:39 am

hi sabrina! i have this lip shine in frolic. initially, i wasn't impressed. the lasting power was short, which was disappointing, since the tf lipstick had amazing lasting power. i guess it is after all, a sheer lipstick, so i shouldn't expect too much in that department. also, the frolic color is close to my natural lip color, so i didn't really notice a huge difference in wearing it or not. however, after wearing a few times, the color is definitely growing on me. it has some shimmer in it, so it gives my lips more dimension. it's natural, but a prettier version of it. fyi, i wore it in my recent outfit blog post. love your swatches! please review more!