NARS Disco Inferno Nail Polish – Spring 2013

NARS has released a new nail polish for spring called Disco Inferno, a complex sheer sparkly metallic ($19). I’ve never found a nail polish so difficult to describe. It’s almost duo-chrome, but not quite. On me it’s an iridescent grey-purple-opal-blue infused with tiny silver micro sparkle flecks. Sometimes it flashes a hint of green, but on me it’s mostly purple-blueish. It has a 90s-ish feel – reminiscent of edgy metallics from the early Urban Decay/Hard Candy days, and some older Chanels like Fluorine and Metal Argent. As most have reported, Disco Inferno is quite sheer. Even with three coats it still has a slight transparent finish where you can see the nail tips underneath. I think it’s beautiful although I do feel that it is slightly too edgy to wear to a conservative work office.
Here it is swatched with three coats:

There’s nothing quite like it in my current nail polish collection. The most similar color I own is OPI’s Not Like the Movies (looks more similar on the nails than on the nail wheel or in the bottle). OPI’s The World is Not Enough has a similar edgy feel with a transparent finish but is still quite different.

Nail wheels have four coats (all shades are sheerish):

Nail swatch comparisons have three coats:

Bottom line gorgeous and listed as limited-edition. Available online at Narscosmetics.com.

Comments

1. February 9, 2013 / 11:45 pm

It's also very similar to Butter London's Knackered.

2. February 9, 2013 / 11:53 pm

Interesting color but so disappointing it's this sheer.

February 10, 2013 / 12:02 am

Just purchased 2 different color holographic polishes from Amazon this week, looks like they are making a comeback?

4. February 10, 2013 / 2:34 am

When I first saw this shade I didn't really like the sheerness but I actually appreciate it now. It has its charm in a way although a more opaque version would be amazing too!

5. February 10, 2013 / 3:05 am

hmm I don't like to have VNL with this type of color, but it's unquestionably beautiful. Love that hint of green flash!

6. February 10, 2013 / 4:40 am

Hi Sabrina,

I've been going back and forth with Disco Inferno; it's a gorgeous color (and the reference to 50 cent makes me smile) — yet I'm held back by the work practicality of the color, which you mentioned. The comparison to OPI Not Like The Movies was helpful, since I happen to have it in my collection 🙂

7. Paige
    February 10, 2013 / 4:48 am

It is a pretty color but I feel the color should be opaque. I didn't buy any else from Nars' Spring launch except for the light reflecting powder. Would like to hear your opinion on this product whether you end up buying it or not.

• February 11, 2013 / 5:34 pm

I will definitely review if I purchase it. I think sooner or later I'm going to just cave and pick one. Did you like the light reflecting powder?

8. February 10, 2013 / 7:08 pm

Hmmmm…I don´t like this shade….and 3 coats OMG! It´s too sheer
    xoxo

February 13, 2013 / 1:07 am

Looks exactly like Deborah Lippman's "Wicked Game," non?

10. Emily
    April 16, 2013 / 11:42 pm

It looks like "It's Raining Men" (by SpaRitual) to me. But the cloudy, complex, holographic blue is a favorite look for me!

11. tanguera
    December 10, 2013 / 4:25 am

SO very pretty and interesting, without being at all gaudy. I don't really think of this one as a metallic, since it's so much more delicate and less chrome-y looking than other silver metallics… not at all harsh looking, just a really enchanting twist on silver, paler than most, which I love. By the way, it is (or was) on sale at Sephora online just today… for only $5!… it popped up as an option right at checkout, and naturally I took the bait.