Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill Intense: 2, 4, 8 and 9

My picks from the new Armani Eyes to Kill Intense release: #2 Red Lust, #4 Pulp Fiction, #8 Champagne and #9 Rock Sand ($32 each). Armani has extended their color selection for the Eyes To Kill shadows from Holiday 2010 (#13 and #15 here). These are a hybrid powder-cream type of shadow with a lightweight almost sponge-like texture. They are highly metallic and richly pigmented with a long-lasting finish. To me these are high-performance eyeshadows – they deliver much more than the average shadow.

(click for large viewing of the beautiful multi-colored speckles)

Descriptions then thoughts: Each shade has a complex mixture of metallics. The resemble beautiful speckled eggs. #2 Red Lust is a blackened plum with red flecks, #4 Pulp Fiction is a highly metallic blueish grey with red and silver flecks, #8 Champagne is a silvery pink with flecks of metallic pink and silver, #9 Rock Sand is a champagne-peachy color with darker peach flecks and silver/gold sparkles.

I played with these over the past few days layering them on top of each other (two shades at the most, first the lighter shade then darker shade on top). Overall I’m extremely impressed with the lasting power. In terms of the colors, I prefer the darker ones for the eyes. The lighter shades are super metallic and frosty – a bit too much for my taste. I did mix a non-shimmer flesh shade (Bobbi Brown Shore) with a paler Armani ETK (#8) by mixing them together on the fingers which helped to minimize the frost. They are lovely colors and office appropriate – just not quite as finely milled as Chanel’s Ombrees de Perles from Spring {love and reviewed here}.

Close ups, swatches and one comparison set:

Close ups of 2, 8 and 9 (both 8 and 9 are similar, 8 is more pink while 9 is more peach):

New picks + last holiday’s shades arm-swatched with finger:

Comparisons of the silvery and lighter colors below. Bobbi Brown Galaxy is warmer and sheerer compared to #2 Pulp Fiction. For the lighter shades I recommend clicking below for larger viewing. MAC Vintage Selection is more pinkish/mauve, MAC Bare Study almost looks like a white gold compared to #8/#9, MUFE Aqua #13 is even more metallic and pigmented but lacks the complex multi-color sparkles the Armani have which makes it more of a silvery-champagne finish.

Are these must-haves? I think I am happier with the shades from Holiday mainly because I found them more wearable but there are quite a few lovely shades from this new collection. The shimmer/metallic/frost factor isn’t a deal-breaker (like Bobbi Brown Metallic Creams were for me) – I just think those iffy on high-metallic finish shadows should definitely try these on the eyes first (not just on the hand) before deciding whether or not to buy. The upside of these is that they are super long lasting. I had no fading or smudging on the days I’ve tried mine. I can’t report on the crease-factor as I have no crease in my lids.

Comments

1. March 23, 2011 / 4:55 am

These look amazing! Great swatches 🙂

Do you think #2 is similar to the purple in the Chanel Ombrees de Perles palette? I love that shade, & never want it to run out!

2. March 23, 2011 / 5:07 am

#8 champagne is devine! universally pretty. beautiful swatches – love how you've captured the shimmeryness of the shadows. thanks for sharing x

3. March 23, 2011 / 5:22 am

25FLONDON – Thanks for stopping by! Unfortunately I haven't found a good dupe for the purple in the Chanel palette (and I've looked!). The Armani is darker, has no blueish tones and is more a blackened-purple with red shimmer.

Faye Lu – #8 and #9 are gorgeous. Just sooo sparkly!

4. March 23, 2011 / 9:24 am

Great swatches! These actually look super shimmery in the first pictures, but from the swatches, they do look subtle enough for everyday wear. I like them a lot. :]

5. March 23, 2011 / 9:27 am

Thanks for the beautiful swatches Sabrina. I think I will get 4, 8 and 9. Number 2 reminds me of Bobbi Brown's cream eyeshadow in Beach Bronze..

6. March 23, 2011 / 10:29 am

I love number #2, such a sophisticated colour. Thank you for sharing 🙂

7. March 23, 2011 / 11:08 am

#2 is SO gorgeous, just as I though it would be. Thanks for the swatches and review.

8. March 23, 2011 / 12:01 pm

Would love to see a "face of the day" with these on!! They look devine. Love your blog!

9. March 23, 2011 / 2:26 pm

Thank you for the beautiful swatches! I've been loving dark fig/eggplant shades, and #2 looks right up my alley!

♥ Jessica

10. March 23, 2011 / 2:59 pm

I always love your swatches. I passed on these because they were too sparkly for me, especially the lighter colors. I agree with you, I love the holiday colors more!

11. March 23, 2011 / 4:30 pm

Red Lust looks fabulous. Great swatches x

12. March 23, 2011 / 5:59 pm

LOVING Pulp Fiction – between you and Elvira, I am a goner.

I still need to find the courage to walk up to the GA counter.

13. March 23, 2011 / 7:57 pm

Wow! Gorgeous colours, they look like they wouldn't go on well, but the swatches look great. 🙂

14. March 23, 2011 / 10:33 pm

Red Lust looks so interesting. Beautiful swatches 🙂

15. March 24, 2011 / 12:08 am

I have #4 and love it! I think it is shimmery but overly so. I thought I wouldn't like #2 Red Lust but your swatch in the last photo makes it very appealing! Thank you for the post!

16. March 25, 2011 / 5:32 pm

I just ordered a shade you did not pick: Gold Blitz. I agree that the product has to be tried on the lid, more than the hand/arm. This shade appealed to me; I have nothing like it. Can't do peaches and pinks well on my lids, but those shades are exquisite.

Thanks!

17. March 25, 2011 / 11:02 pm

I loooove number 6, its a bronze with flecks of green, super pretty!

18. March 28, 2011 / 4:18 pm

Thanks for your reply! I think Ill still have to get Red Lust, even if it isn't as close to the Chanel purple as I'd hoped!

If you ever do find a good dupe, please make a huge deal out of letting the world know xDD

May 19, 2011 / 7:06 am

Great Review!! If you can get your hands on #1 and #3, they are very beautiful. My fave is #1 by far.