NARS Fall 2010: Rajasthan, Tzarine & Douceur

I’ve been excited about NARS Fall ever since Karen at Makeup & Beauty Blog featured a sneak peek of the collection. Imagine my surprise to see the collection display up today when I went to Nordstrom to pick up my pre-sale items from the Anniversary Sale. The NARS summer collection left me unimpressed but the fall collection seems to be right on track for the typical stunning, inspirational and unique releases they normally do. I picked up three items:
  • Rajastan Eyeshadow Duo – shimmering sandy beige & deep smokey blue-green
  • Tzarine Eyeshadow Duo – lovely cool sparkley champagne & cool-toned dove grey with gold microglitter sparkles
  • Douceur Blush – a neutral dusty pink with slight brownish tones

Top: Rajasthan & Tzarine Eyeshadow Duos
Bottom: Douceur Blush

* Labels corrected, thanks Stephanie!

I couldn’t find any dupes for Tzarine Eyeshadow Duo. For Rajastan, I couldn’t find any dupes either, but the golden shade is similar to Cyprus Single Eyeshadow. I compared the smokey blue-green to MAC Club and Forest Green Pigment (discontinued) and Rajastan has more blueish tones. For Douceur Blush, I thought in my mind “perhaps it’s a powder version of Penny Lane.” I was way off. It is pink, but has more brown and is darker. Douceur seems most similar in finish to Cubic. Compared to Blushbaby, Douceur has more dusty pink where Blushbaby is more brownish. I haven’t tried them on the face to see how the colors look though. Below are the close ups, comparisons and more swatches.

NARS Tzarine

NARS Rajasthan

Compared to NARS Cyprus, MAC Club, MAC Forest Green Pigment (discontinued, pro)

NARS Douceur Blush (Limited Edition)

Comparisons to NARS Penny Lane, MAC Blushbaby, MAC Cubic

These were the three standouts to me. I didn’t check the lip products or single shadows. I have to say I was extremely surprised to find Douceur Blush is limited edition. I didn’t ask the specialist about the other items in the collection, but I one of the things I love about NARS is that he typically doesn’t do “limited edition” colors. I have noticed that in the past couple years a number of beautiful shades such as Mogambo Duo, Galaxy Girl Lipstick, Cannes Multiple, Antibes Multiple have been discontinued and retired to the “vintage” section of the NARS website. I have found similar colors for these and understand they probably can’t keep everything, but still am very sad about Cannes being discontinued.

Comments

1. July 15, 2010 / 1:24 am

To be honest, I've never really been interested in NARS, but these three items have me really interested! Are the two duos LE?

2. July 15, 2010 / 1:28 am

Oooh that blush looks amazing! May have to spring for it! Although VERY close to Blushbaby, no?

3. July 15, 2010 / 1:32 am

Stephanie – They are really pretty. Not sure if the duos are LE. It didn't say on the box, but I didn't ask the counter either.

Andi – The blush is similar, but Blushbaby has more brown in it on my skin. The NARS has more dusty pink and a slightly luminous finish 🙂 I find it more similar to Cubic, but it was difficult to swatch.

4. July 15, 2010 / 1:33 am

Great picks! I love the look of the Rajasthan Duo a lot, but I might skip the blush since it looks similar to Blushbaby. I can always count on you for great comparison shots!

5. July 15, 2010 / 1:55 am

What a relief! I was worried that NARS would not have the wonderful things that it used to–except for the blush tints I've been disappointed in them lately. These seem like welcome additions. Thanks for the wonderful review!!

6. July 15, 2010 / 2:47 am

I am looking forward to see the Blush in Person. I hope it does not looks to brown or burnt on me…Thanks for the review and the swatches…

7. July 15, 2010 / 3:29 am

NARS also has "limited edition" color? oh, that's something new….

8. July 15, 2010 / 3:41 am

Hey, great swatches and comparisons and you've got me seriously lemming now! I want all three! Just wanted to point out that in your first swatch with everything swatched along your arm, I think you mislabled the eyeshadow duos, because in all the other pictures Rajasthan is the darker and more golden duo. Sorry if I'm wrong, but just wanted to help out! xx

9. milkyway
    July 15, 2010 / 3:59 am

Hi Sabrina, do you have Madly? How does this compare with Douceur? Thanks!

10. Laura
    July 15, 2010 / 5:23 am

Great swatches! I've read that Rajasthan is LE but the blush is not. Perhaps it's just that version of the blush with the etching in it that is LE? I have to say I'm very disappointed that NARS decided to jump on the LE bandwagon. I've also read that the lip products, shadow pencil, and Mangrove e/s are LE. 🙁

11. July 15, 2010 / 5:49 am

Martha – I think you should still check out the blush. It's pinker than the MAC and the NARS has a lovely subtle sheen to it which didn't really show up. You might be able to see it in the swatch picture if you click to enlarge.

Amy – It's a lovely collection!

Resham – The blush was swatched with a heavy hand. I don't think anyone applies blush the same way people typically swatch it. Otherwise you can't really see it on the arm.

Stephanie – thanks for catching that! I just corrected it 🙂

Milkyway, I do have Madly. I will dig it out and see in the next few days and get back to you.

Laura – thanks for the info! That might make sense. The blush is etched this time which is lovely. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the duos are LE or not. Not that I foresee myself using them up soon. But I'd still be interested in finding out.

12. July 15, 2010 / 6:16 am

Hawt Dayum! This collection is calling to me. I successfully avoided falling down the NARS rabbit hole for a few years, but then I saw your Taiga e/s swatches around Christmas, and I haven't looked back since. Love NARS! Thanks for these lovely and highly anticipated photos!

13. July 15, 2010 / 8:07 am

These swatches you provide look quite different to the ones on Makeup and beauty blog. I love both eyeshadows. Very unique.

14. July 15, 2010 / 9:31 am

Oooh I love the look of the Rajasthan duo!! That deep bluish-green is so lovely and sultry.

15. July 15, 2010 / 10:05 am

all is amazing…love your blog..

16. July 15, 2010 / 2:04 pm

I'm hoping I can pass on Douceur as I have Madly. I really do need Rajasthan though.

17. July 15, 2010 / 2:33 pm

It is so hot in So Cal right now, and I'm dreaming of fall! I feel cooler just looking at this beautiful collection. Those e/s duos are fabulous, I think I *need* both!

18. July 15, 2010 / 2:56 pm

I do love Fall collections but it is killing me thinking about fall with it being so hot out lately! 😉 That blush is gorgeous and will be mine!

Best, Lisamarie

19. July 15, 2010 / 3:35 pm

Oooh Sabrina – thanks for this. I was planning to stop by Nordstrom after work today to see if my Chanel counter got a restock of Cassis eyeliners. And luckily NARS shares counter space with Chanel. I need to check out that blush – I need to own more NARS blush. IMO it has the best pigmentation.

Ugh – I now want both duos! And btw…MAC Club is my favorite MAC shade behind, Arena and Woodwinked!

20. July 15, 2010 / 4:03 pm

im loving the Tzarine!!! the lighter color is so pretty! xo

21. July 15, 2010 / 4:07 pm

Those are the colors I've been looking for and NARS reads my mind!! ^^ Gonna be such a hard time finding them though.. And Australia prices are too ridiculous.

22. July 15, 2010 / 4:55 pm

Tzarine Eyeshadow Duo is to die for! I love it. I both duos actually. Thank you so much for the great swatches.

23. July 15, 2010 / 7:00 pm

You've convinced me that I must have both of those duos :), such a shame Nars blushes break me out, as I really like the look of that. Thanks for the great review and pictures x

July 16, 2010 / 8:00 am

I always like your photography, but I especially loved your picture of the stacked boxes. It immediately made me think of the joy of having something new and special and unopened. Strange comment, I know!

25. July 16, 2010 / 11:56 pm

Hmm I wonder if Zen and Douceur are similar at all? I'm also surprised that Douceur is limited edition, and the NARS website says the logo is lasered into the surface of the blush which is odd because eBay fakes usually have the logo etched into powder products.

Great swatches/photos as always!

26. July 18, 2010 / 6:40 pm

That's one of my favorite things about NARS, too–that they don't perpetuate that ridiculous LE frenzy a la other major brands. I always appreciate that you can find older NARS products at the counter or online without paying an arm and a leg.

I swatched the Fall single shadows at Nordstrom, and I was shocked at how dark they were, especially Daphne and Coconut Grove (the purple and brown shades). I'm dark-skinned, and the colors still seemed a little dark, almost muddy, on my hand.

Thanks so much for the swatches. Rajastan is now on my must-have list, thanks to you.

27. July 19, 2010 / 3:42 pm

This whole collection is so awesome! I'd love to get Rajasthan duo! <3

28. July 24, 2010 / 5:30 pm

Hi Sabrina,
    Just wondering how the grayish side of NARS Tzarine compares with MAC Smoke & Diamonds…any thoughts? Thanks!

29. August 28, 2010 / 11:02 pm

This post has been such a great find! I'm trying to decide between Rajasthan and Tzarine. It's really helpful to see that Club isn't that similar.

I can totally pass on Douceur as I have Cubic. I swatched Douceur yesterday and thought it was probably quite close.

Thank you!

30. December 9, 2010 / 2:09 pm

i know this is a little late, but we still have the fall collection out here in France, so i wanted to pick up the Douceur blush— however, have you ever compared it to Burberry's 'Russet' Shade? i'm quite fond of that one and am wondering if it's a close dupe. Thanks! Great weekend to you…

31. July 16, 2012 / 3:27 pm

Do you think I need Douceur if I have mac Cubic? I do like Cubic though.. but use light pink blush most of the time.. I can´t decide. Aww wait I´ll pick Tzarine rather. It looks cool toned taup-y enough!