I’m not sure if purple is “in” this season (with the exception of a part of MAC’s upcoming Spring Forecast collection) – but I’m not always one to follow the trends. When I think of spring, I think of soft colors and I love using purple on one feature for the face at a time (to avoid that purple overload look). I pulled out my soft purply colors and was surprised to find how much lilac and violets I own.
Part 1: Eyes
For eyes, I can’t pull off all purples – some lilacs make me look like I have pink-eye but these are the ones that work for me. I would have to say my favorites are the Armani Maestro Single #10 because it has some slight gold sparkles and the new Paul & Joe Purple Clover from spring (waves to Josie for her wonderful swatch and review here).
1. Giorgio Armani Maestro Quad 6 Mineral 2. Giorgio Armani Maestro Single 10 3. NARS Duo Eyeshadow Violetta 4. MAC Violet, Dear (discontinued) 5. Laura Mercier Luster Eyeshadow Dusk (mini size from GWP) 6. Paul & Joe Face & Eyecolor CS in Purple Clover 066 7. MAC Eyeshadow Pro Palette in Crystal 8. Laura Mercier Mineral Eye Powder in Crushed Amethyst 9. Trish McEvoy Eyeshadow in Haze 10. Paul & Joe Eyeshadow Velvet Ribbon 06 11. MAC Pigment in Kitchmas 12. MAC Pigment in Lovely Lily (l/e) 13. MAC Pigment in Circa Plum (l/e)
* Please note, I’m not a fan of that Nars Violetta swatch, the lighter matte shade doesn’t always go on as muddy dark as it did on my arm
Part 2: Lips
For lips, I can’t wear straight purples or lilacs for the lips. Most of these are either sheer or have some pink pearl in them to give a soft cool pink lip. My favorites are Laura Mercier’s Violet & Lilac Lip Glaces.
1. Bobbi Brown Brightening Lipgloss Pink Lilac 2. Laura Mercier Plumping Lipgloss in Wild Berry 3. Laura Mercier Lip Glace in Violet 4. Laura Mercier Lip Glace in Lilac 5. MAC Lustreglass in Morning Glory 6. MAC Lipglass Nico Now (l/e) 7. MAC Lipglass Fast Friends (l/e) 8. Nars Chastity Lip Gloss 9. Nars Sweet Charity Lip Gloss 10. Chanel Glossimer in Delight 11. Laura Mercier Stickgloss Lip Color in Purple Haze
Part 3: Nails
I’m not the biggest fan of purple nails. I got a few of these as gifts yet can’t bring myself to regift them or give them away (because often times it’s the thought that counts). I desperately wanted to love Chanel’s Rodeo Drive (gorgeous violet purple) but it was simply too bright for my comfort. Chanel’s Lilac Sky is much more doable for me. I do like lighter purples for the nails, I also have a photo/swatch of Le Metier Phlox here, but it’s currently MIA.
Pinkie to Thumb: Sephora by OPI Call Your Mother, OPI Parlez-Vous OPI?, MAC Love & Friendship, Chanel Violette (euro exclusive), Chanel Lilac Sky
Thanks to several e-mails and other blog recommendations, I checked out the new Hard Candy Mr. Wrong at Walmart and the new OPI Merry Midnight Nail Polishes. Hard Candy Mr. Wrong is very sparkly with a base similar to Dior’s Silver Purple but with chunky gold glitter mixed in. I was initially worried that OPI’s Merry Midnight would be too over the top, but when I tried it on at home, it turned out really pretty. The formula is super sheer though and required 3 full coats for me. Here are a few swatch pictures to compare.
Unique Purples: Hard Candy Mr. Wrong (Walmart), Dior Silver Purple (Holiday 2009), Dior Lemon Balm (Nordstrom Exclusive)
Plummy-Mauve Purples: Le Metier Violaceous Splendor, OPI Merry Midnight, Le Metier Black Orchid
* Note, the OPI Merry Midnight sparkle doesn’t show up so well in the swatch photo, I highly recommend you check out All Lacquered Up or Scrangie’s Blogs for better swatch pictures!
Light purple shades: Like purples, but don’t like darker colors? Check out Le Metier de Beaute Phlox, Chanel Violette, MAC Love & Friendship
If you want to see more purple nail polishes I’ve written about, check out these links:
Part 4 includes mauves and plums with Bobbi Brown Black Ink as a true-black baseline:
Eyeliner swatches: 1. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner – Black Ink 2. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner – Cocoa Mauve Ink 3. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner – Black Plum Ink 4. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner – Black Mauve Shimmer Ink 5. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner – Violet Ink 6. Chanel Le Crayon Yeux Precision Eye Definer – Violet Smoke 7. MAC Eye Kohl – Prunella 8. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil – Rockstar 9. Laura Mercier Kohl Eye Pencil – Black Violet 10. Chanel Le Crayon Kohl Intense Eye Pencil – Ambre 11. MAC Kohl Power Pencil – Raven 12. Nars Single Eyeshadow – Night Fever (applied wet) 13. MAC Eyeshadow – Smut 14. Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow – Black Plum SW 15. Bobbi Brown Metallic Eyeshadow – After Hours 16. Giorgio Armani Maestro Eyeshadow – #18
Shadow swatches (some repeats): (note for the shadows, skin was prepped with Estee Lauder Idealist to help the shadow adhere to the skin, all shadows applied dry except for Nars Night Fever – but they were all applied with a heavy hand)
1. MAC Eyeshadow – Beauty Marked 2. MAC Eyeshadow – Smut 3. Nars Single Eyeshadow – Night Fever 4. Chanel Ombre Essentielle Soft Touch Eyeshadow – Magic Night 5. MAC Pro Pigment – Deep Purple 6. MAC Pigment – Smoke Signal 7. Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow – Black Plum SW 8. Bobbi Brown Metallic Eyeshadow – After Hours 9. Giorgio Armani Maestro Eyeshadow – #18