I’m excited to share an updated sunscreen roundup of formulas I am loving and using right now! I’ve split my list into four categories: Body, Face (clear), Face (tinted) and Andrew’s Favorites.
Shiseido x Tory Burch
Two I’ve been loving are from Shiseido x Tory Burch. They partnered to launch two sunscreens in this beautiful limited-edition packaging. Both formulas are also available in the regular permanent lineup as well (packaged in the bright blue bottles).
Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protector Lotion SPF 50+ Sunscreen is a lightweight silky formula you can use on both the face and body. I prefer this on the body and it has a slight pink tint to it but has a transparent finish without any residue. It has a pleasant citrus scent. I love this one because it has Shiseido’s WetForce and HeatForce technology. It holds up pretty well with sweat, but you still need to reapply.
- Price: $49 for 150 ml, Tory Burch, Shiseido, Nordstrom, Ulta
- SPF: 50+
- Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 2.3%, Homosalate 10.0%, Octisalate 5.0%, Octocrylene 10.0%
- Other Notes: Water Resistant 80 Minutes
Shiseido Clear Sunscreen Stick SPF 50+ is a great clear sunscreen stick. I apply this on bare skin. It has an emollient texture when you apply but turns into a semi-velvety drydown. You can apply this under makeup too. It does have fragrance but I found it did not irritate my skin.
- Price: $29 for 20 g, limited-edition packaging sold out, regular version at Ulta, Nordstrom Rack, Dillard’s
- SPF: 50+
- Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 2.5%, Homosalate 10.0%, Octisalate 5.0%, Octocrylene 10.0%
- Other Notes: Water Resistant
Favorite Body Sunscreens
These days I rely mostly on Supergoop! and Sol de Janeiro for body sunscreens. I also really like Sun Bum too.
Supergoop! Play Everyday Lotion SPF 50 has been a go-to for years! I loved the original formula and find the new one good too. You can use this on both the face and body, but for me it’s best on the body. Texture is a bit too thick for my face (I prefer the Unseen or City Serum for the face instead). This one helps protect the skin from sun and heat exposure and I really like that it helps moisturize the skin.
- Price: $22 – $58, at Supergoop!, Sephora, Nordstrom
- SPF: 50
- Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 10%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 7.5%
- Other Notes: Also available in a lot of sets!
Supergoop! Glowscreen Body is one of the newer launches from Supergoop! and I absolutely love it. It’s a shimmery body lotion with SPF 40 but the glow is subtle with tiny micro sparkles. I think it’s really fun for summer!
- Price: $42 for 100 ml, at Supergoop!, Sephora and Nordstrom
- SPF: 40
- Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 7%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 10%
Sun Bum Sunscreen Sprays are great spray sunscreens. We love picking these up at our local grocery store or Target. The original formula comes in SPF 30, 50 and 70. Love that they adhere to the skin really well once they dry. You do need to be super diligent and thorough to wash it off though.
- Price: $15.99 for 6 oz / 170 g, at Target
- SPF: 30 to 70
- Active Ingredients: For SPF 30, Avobenzone 3.00%, Homosalate 10.00%, Octisalate 5.00%, Octocrylene 3.75%
Sol de Janeiro Bum Bum Sol Oil Sunscreen with SPF 30 is one of my favorite most-used sunscreens. I love the oil formula and it’s scented with their classic Cheirosa ’62 scent. It has glitter and shimmer in it but I really love it.
- Price: $38 for 90 ml, at Sephora
- SPF: 30
- Active Ingredients: Homosalate 10%, Octocrylene 10%, Octisalate 5%, Avobenzone 3%
Face Sunscreens – Clear
When it comes to face sunscreens, I’ve used and loved a number of formulas over the years. I still really love the ones from Supergoop! like their Unseen and City Serum but right now are rotating through a few other formulas.
Chanel UV Essentiel Complete Protection Antioxidant Anti-Pollution Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50 is a lightweight fluid. It has a one of the thinnest textures I’ve tried. It does contain alcohol pretty high up on the list so if you have sensitivities to it, you may want to do a patch test. I like that this feels very light and I can wear under makeup easily.
- Price: $55 for 1 fl oz, at Chanel.com
- SPF: 50
- Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5 %, Titanium dioxide 3.8 %, Zinc oxide 17.1 %
Shiseido Clear Sunscreen Stick SPF 50+
(details above at the top of the blog post)
Kate Somerville Daily Deflector Mineral Sunscreen SPF 40+ is one of the few mineral sunscreens I like. It has a white tint but has a minimal cast once blended into the skin for my medium/tan skin. I wouldn’t call it weightless but I also don’t find it super heavy. Leaves the skin feeling smooth with a soft dry down. I do wish they made a clear version but I like that this protects my face and is nice on no-makeup makeup days when I just need sun protection at the beach.
- Price: $50 for 50 ml/1.7 fl oz, at Sephora, Nordstrom, Kate Somerville
- SPF: 40
- Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 17%
Supergoop! CC Screen 100% Mineral CC Cream SPF 50 is one of my favorite CC Creams, it looks great on the skin once blended it, offers medium coverage and has good sun protection. Makes the skin look super smooth and flawless! I wear the shade 326W. I recommend applying this with a sponge to blend in. Texture is semi-thick like most CC creams so blending is key. If you apply with fingers like regular clear sunscreen it will be too thick on the skin.
- Price: $39 for 1.6 oz/47 ml, at Supergoop, Nordstrom, Sephora
- SPF: 50
- Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 4%, Zinc Oxide 20%
Chanel CC Cream Super Active Complete Correction Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50 is my other favorite CC Cream. This is one I probably wear the most for foundation and sunscreen (I wear 40 Beige). It’s a tinted moisturizer that has perfect medium to full coverage. I also recommend applying with a sponge to blend in. It has really good lasting power and gives the skin a smooth glowing look.
- Price: $55 for 30 ml/1 fl oz, at Chanel.com
- SPF: 50
- Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 6.8%, Titanium dioxide 4%, Zinc oxide 15.2%
Alastin HydraTint Pro Mineral Broad Spectrum Sunscreen with SPF 36 is another great tinted sunscreen. This is an all-mineral product with a soft beige tint to it. I reviewed this one earlier in the spring and am still really impressed! I find it still works on me when I have a tan, but since it is tinted it may not blend into a transparent finish if you have fair or deep skin. I am really hoping they consider making more shades because this is a really phenomenal sunscreen!
- Price: $55 for 74 g/2.6 oz, at Alastin
- SPF: 36
- Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 8.9%, Zinc Oxide 3.4%
When it comes to sunscreen for Andrew there are few that will hold up in Florida heat and humidity. The best one he’s tried and his absolute favorite is the Jack Black Oil-Free Sun Guard with SPF 45 ($21, at Nordstrom and Jack Black). It’s the most durable that stays put even with heat, sweat, water etc. He is pretty diligent about re-applying every couple of hours too. It’s one of the few bottles he repurchases. Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 8%, Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 3%. He also likes the Sun Bum spray to reapply or layer and for the face he also likes the Shiseido sunscreen stick. We are still on the hunt for a good face sunscreen stick he 100% loves though.
That wraps up my current sunscreen favorites! I do rotate body sunscreens more frequently than I do for the face because my skin isn’t as sensitive on my arms/legs. I’ve found a few Neutrogena options that are ok but it’s harder to find Oxybenzone free formulas from the line.
Shop the Post:
Would love to hear about what your current favorites are! Let me know in the comments.