NARS is killing it this season with yet more pretty palettes for summer. They just launched called Heat of the Night Summer Edit with two Face Palettes in Summer Lights and Hot Nights along with new colors of Satin Lip Pencil and Velvet Matte Lip Pencil. The palettes are truly phenomenal in terms of pigment, blendability and color selection. They’re pretty for summer to add warmth and glow. Lip pencils offer bold color deeper than I’m used to wearing but are still nice everyday kind of neutrals. The collection is limited-edition and is available now at Sephora and NARS.
Summer Lights Face Palette
The Summer Lights Face Palette ($59 for 3.2 g x 4 eyeshadows, 7.1 g x 2 for cheeks) is the lighter option of the two palettes with four eyeshadows, a soft highlighter and matte bronzer. Everything is a powder formula with super soft textures that are easy to blend. If you already own the Skin Deep Eye Palette you might want to skip both of these as you’ll find similar color options. However these palettes do have a really nice lighter shimmer shade for eyes combined with the cheek colors they make for excellent travel companions. In the Summer Lights Face Palette:
- Rainwater Eyeshadow is a shimmery taupe beige
- Hibiscus Eyeshadow is a yellow bronze shimmer
- Papeete Eyeshadow is a terracotta bronze
- Hei Eyeshadow is a satiny cool brown shimmer
- Paper Flower Highlighting Blush Powder is a warm champagne shimmer
- Destination Unknown Bronzing Powder is a neutral soft matte brown
Hot Nights Face Palette
The Hot Nights Face Palette is the deeper option of the two with bolder eye colors ($59 for 3.2 g x 4 eyeshadows, 7.1 g x 2 for cheeks). It’s not too dark for me to wear I still prefer the lighter option. I think this will definitely work better for deeper skin tones to show up more. Colors in the Hot Nights:
- Pacific Eyeshadow is a pink champagne beige shimmer
- Paradis Eyeshadow is a violet bronze shimmer
- Maeva Eyeshadow is a reddish cranberry shimmer
- Black Sand Eyeshadow is a deep purple shimmer
- Tautira Highlighting Blush Powder is a shimmering rose gold tan
- Manihi Bronzing Powder is a matte medium bronze
Velvet Matte Lip Pencils
There are four shades of Velvet Matte Lip Pencils. These have medium coverage with a velvety matte finish. The pigment is buildable to cover the entire lip.
- Good Times is a nude beige matte
- Take Me Home is a terracotta color
- Promiscuous is a hot bright deep pink
- Dance Fever is a 90’s matte brown
Satin Lip Pencils
I haven’t used a Satin Lip Pencil in so long I forgot how much I liked the creamy formula! They have a nice shine finish and very pretty smooth coverage. Colors run darker than I’d normally wear but they’re a nice bolder option for summer:
- Balboa is a plum cream rose
- Giusti is a medium rose
- Golden Gate is a cool grey mauve pink
- Exbury is a soft creamy warm rose
Makeup look wearing the Armani Power Fabric Balm in 6.5 (review here), La Mer Loose Powder to set, NARS Summer Lights Palette on Eyes and Cheeks, Tom Ford Emotionproof Mascara, NARS Take Me Home Pencil. Top by Nation LTD.
Overall a solid collection of easy to wear bronzey shades for summer. I tend to like brighter lighter colors for lips so most of the lip colors were outside my comfort zone. They’re still neutral and easy to wear for a more dramatic but still neutral lip look. I really like the Summer Lights Palette – it’s enough to give me a complete beachy bronze look. I feel like I need a little more color so I’ve added blush in addition to the palette, but other than that these make for great summery looks. The compacts are sturdy and have large enough pans to dip a brush into. Yet they’re compact enough to travel with.
Quality and lasting power is really good, true to NARS powder shadows and lip pencils. For me the palettes lasted all day on the face for a good solid 7 hours without fading. Lips are always tricky to test as I’m constantly snacking, drinking or wiping my face to do swatch tests. They do stay put as long as your lips don’t touch things.
NARS Summer collection provided courtesy of NARS for review consideration.