Rounding up my top picks in skincare this year! I attribute the biggest improvements for my skin to lifestyle changes more than my skincare routine. I’ve made a conscious effort to take better care of my body with more exercise and better eating habits. This year I stopped drinking soy lattes (opting for almond or coconut milk instead in and smaller doses). I also reduced my coffee significantly intake as it was contributing to irregular heartbeats (don’t worry I got checked out and I’m completely ok). I switched to green tea, reduced sugar in everything, cut back on eating bread and over time I saw some pretty amazing changes from the inside out.
Skincare testing has still been a huge part of my life this year – especially as I age I’ve become more conscious of protecting my skin. The strong Florida sun can be brutal and the heat intense even if you’re not in direct sun. Finding good sunscreen and skincare has been essential otherwise I’d be completely fried.
This is a pretty extensive list as I switched things up quite a bit over the year. We’ve traveled from coast to coast and experienced climate changes. As many of you have advised me when I moved here, even though Florida is hot, there is a fairly lengthy dry season. That combined with the water conditions here (plus with swimming in the ocean and pools) has kinda messed with my skin. The weather can change daily! Then there are the late spring to summer months where the humidity is almost unreal and everything feels like it could slide off your face the second you step outside. Finding a routine and re-balancing my skin has been a process and I’m really thankful I’ve found quite a few really great products. You can see my bare skin here and here. Press samples have a * next to them.
Shelf 1, left to right:
- Sisley-Paris Express Flower Gel Mask * – Best gently hydrating mask for dry or tired-looking skin but without the over emollient feel that some moisture masks have, 100% worth the splurge and I bought a backup tube because I don’t want to be without it.
- Sisley-Paris Radiant Glow Express Mask – A gentle cleansing glow mask with red clay to remove impurities without drying out the skin, leaves skin feeling super soft.
- Tatcha The Water Cream – I’d rank this in my top 3 moisturizers of the year, Tatcha seems to have been the first to develop a water cream which is a truly lightweight moisturizer that feels like a refreshing burst of water, it’s been perfect in humid climate, I’m on my second one.
- Eve Lom Brightening Cream * – A long-time favorite for a soft lightweight cream that over time does improve the brightness of the complexion, it contains anti-oxidants that correct hyperpigmentation and smooth skin, also available in the holiday Perfecting Ritual Set.
- Tatcha The Water Gel – I’m one who actually hates skincare gels because they’re sticky and don’t typically work with my foundations, this one is just perfect in every way.
- Tatcha Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil – Out of all the cleansing oils I tried this one turned out to be my favorite for the year for super soft skin.
- Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen – This is my ULTIMATE go to for body sunscreen, it was the most effective for me without any scent or sticky feel which is super important to me, it held up well in the Florida humidity without making me feel greasy and even with regular re-application it absorbs well (I’ve also converted my husband to using this one although he still prefers Kiehl’s).
- Supergoop! Hand Cream – I often forget the hands when it comes to sun protection and I don’t realize how much the sun hits the hands especially when driving, this has been essential and comes in a small size that I can throw in my bag.
- Sisley-Paris Black Rose Skin Cream * – Best lightweight cream almost feels like a water cream, moisturizes and refreshes the skin lightly in the most amazing way.
- Shu Uemura Sakura Rose Petal Mask * – Best plumping moisturizing mask that soothes skin, Beauty Look Book readers a special promo of deluxe samples + free shipping on orders $50+ with code BLBXSHU. Deluxe samples include: mini laque supreme sample rd01, maxi:hydrability essence-in cream 13 ml, sakura-rose-petal-mask 13 ml and nutri:nectar sample 15 ml. Valid online at both Shu Uemura US and Shu Uemura Canada.
- Kate Somerville Exfolikate Gentle – My favorite weekly face scrub to purify and decongest the skin.
Shelf 2, left to right:
- Sisley-Paris Botanical Floral Toning Lotion * – An alcohol-free toner to balance the skin, remove any itchy feel if your cleanser is too dry and soothes skin, best toner I’ve ever tried.
- Lancome Eau Fraiche Douceur Micellar Cleansing Water – My favorite cleansing water that I keep going back to over and over again, also available in a smaller size too.
- Aesop Redemption Body Scrub – Best body scrub of the year and even Andrew is obsessed, it has finely milled bamboo and pumice to give the skin a thorough clean, it’s also available in the Enigmatic Mind Perception Kit.
- Kate Somerville Gentle Daily Wash – My go-to gentle face wash that I’ve purchased so many times I’ve lost count, it never fails me!
- Kate Somerville Eradikate Cleanser – Best anti-acne cleanser to clear up the skin without irritating or drying out the skin, it has 3% sulfur in it to draw out impurities and really works! (I also love the Eradikate Mask).
- Aesop Parsley Seed Mask – In my top 2 for purifying masks to draw out impurities from clogged pores.
- Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet – One of the best lightweight creams for hot humid months, if you only need a little bit of moisture this is a great one to check out to strengthen skin and protect from environmental damage, there are quite a few sets at Sephora which have smaller trial sizes I’d recommend trying if you’re unsure of this one!
- Omorovicza Moor Cleanser – Best hydrating cream cleanser, I use this after a regular cleanser to add back moisture into the skin and it leaves the skin feeling like you moisturized it.
Shelf 3, left to right:
- Kiehl’s Daily Reviving Concentrate – Probably my favorite face oil of the year to hydrate dry skin.
- Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Oil – One I use at night to maintain elasticity and moisture, I noticed my skin sometimes feels dry with the water here after I wash it at night, this doesn’t feel greasy although it is emollient.
- 111Skin Celestial Black Diamond Retinol Oil * – One of the most amazing night treatments I’ve tried, it has 1% pure retinol so I use this every other night or every 2 nights because I have sensitive skin, it’s still gentle enough to not burn my skin like many retinol products do, it helps diminish fine lines and spots.
- Kopari Coconut Melt (mini) – The best body moisturizers for days when my body is so dry, especially since winter hit Florida, I apply it on the body at night before I go to bed. Especially good to restore moisture if skin is dried from summer heat.
- Sisley-Paris Beauty Subscription Program* – The only beauty subscription I’ve kept this year, full review here – it’s available in 3, 6 or 12 months options.
- Tatcha Rice Enzyme Powder – Best gentle cleanser that I use as an exfoliator to help get rid of dead skin and polish the face.
- Glamglow Supermud Clearing Treatment – In my top 2 for fixing problem skin if I have breakouts.
- Sisley-Paris Confort Extreme Nutritive Lip Balm – An amazing non-scented and less thick version of the classic By Terry Baume de Rose, moisturizing and works like a charm for dry lips.
- By Terry Baume de Rose – Always a classic for the thickest rose scented lip treatment.
- Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Mist – New to me this year, but it has the finest mist out of the face mists I’ve tried! Beautifully hydrating in a light way which is just how I like it.
Shelf 4, left to right:
- Caudalie Glow Activating Trio (eye cream not shown because I’ve packed it up) – Truly impressed with this line, I bought it from Sephora this year and like the way it really makes the skin glow and moisturize the skin without feeling heavy, I’m purchasing the eye cream after I use up some others, I feel like the serum + moisturizer have started to really help with fine lines I have on my forehead.
- Darphin Hydraskin Light – One of the most impressive lightweight creams I tried this year!
- Fresh Mask Wardrobe from the holiday set, Sugar Face Polish and Rose Mask have become two Fresh staples that I know I’ll have to replenish very soon.
- MAC Fix+ Lavender – MAC came out with scented Fix+ in Coconut, Rose and Lavender, I’m obsessed with these, I stocked up on so many because they’re so nice to use mid-day and refresh the skin.
- Kate Somerville Dermal Quench (mini) – This was something I discovered a while back after getting a facial at the Kate Somerville Clinic, the entire line has changed my life in terms of improving my skin, this was the biggest game changer in improving texture and reducing fine lines.
One more shelfie because these couldn’t fit in the photo above:
Left to right
- Chanel Hydra Beauty Essence Mist – One of my favorite most repurchased mists even though I really hate the price tag, it dispenses a very fine veil of moisture on the face.
- Chanel Sublimage La Brume Intense Revitalizing Mist – I’m obsessed with the Sublimage line although I can’t bring myself to repurchase the creams or eye treatments (so I try to find mini samples when I can), I bought the mist because it comes with three refills which seemed to justify the price more to me, this is a super hydrating mist but has a very fine mist – the dispenser is well designed, I love how it revitalizes the skin.
- 111Skin Bio Cellulose Facial Treatment Mask – This is my ride or die sheet mask, it surpasses all other sheet masks I’ve tried for hydration, plumping and smoothing the skin making it feel like it’s completely new (comes in a pack of 5). I was sent a couple sheets for review, but have since splurged on 3 boxes.
- Dior Capture Totale Dreamskin Cushion with SPF50, this doubles as a light makeup base and lasts all day.
- 111Skin Space Defense Bright Eye Lift Gel * – The only eye gel I’ve used that doesn’t leave a sticky residue, it makes this compatible with my foundation/concealer and eye makeup, it’s lightweight but you can still feel it on the skin, keeps the eye area hydrated without any greasy feel.
- L’Occitane Immortelle Divine Eyes * – I love this line for the smooth hydrating feel it gives, I like this at night for a soothing hydrating veil of moisture.
- Chanel La Creme Main * – This has one of the best dry-downs for a velvety feel while still adding moisture, I love the cute packaging on this as well.
That wraps up my list of the Best Skincare 2017. I realize this is a very long list of favorites. Obviously I don’t recommend using all of this at once – I’ve spent months testing and rotating depending on location, season and skin needs. I moved from San Diego to Tampa Bay. I’ve also done quite a bit of traveling back to California, to New York, Texas, further south to Miami Beach and even north up to Georgia and Kentucky. Because I know many of you will ask, here are my ABSOLUTE top picks by category:
- Best cleanser: Kate Somerville anything
- Best moisturizer: four-way tie between Darphin Tatcha Water Cream, Sisley Black Rose Cream and Eve Lom Brightening Cream
- Best night treatment: Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Oil
- Best toner: Sisley Floral Toner
- Best exfoliator: weekly is Kate Somerville, daily is the Tatcha Rice Enzyme Powder
- Best purifying mask: Glamglow Supermud and Aesop Parsley Seet Mask
- Best moisture mask: Sisley-Paris Express Flower Gel Mask and 111Skin Bio Cellulose Facial Treatment Mask
- Best face mist: tough pick, but tie between Chanel Sublimage and Omorovicza Queen of Hungary
- Best sunscreen for the face: Diorskin Cushion
- Best sunscreen for the body: Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen
- Best eye treatment: still searching for THE one
- Best body moisturizer: Kopari Coconut Melt
- If you splurge on 3 things, I’d recommend: Sisley Beauty Subscription, 111Skin Sheet Masks and stock up on Supergoop! Sunscreen
- My best skincare tips: Double cleanse at a minimum if you wear makeup or triple cleanse to add an exfoliator on a regular basis.
I’m doing another giveaway! One person will be selected through the widget below to win::
- Fresh Mask Wardrobe (includes Sugar Face Polish, Rose Face Mask, Black Tea Instant Perfecting Mask, Vitamin Nectar Vibrancy Boosting Mask – all 1 oz)
- Nude Lips Duo
- Deluxe sampler pack that I got as a GWP.
- Full Size Sugar Cream Lip Treatment in Blush
Open internationally but you must be 18 years or older to enter. Giveaway will run through January the 6th. I’ll pick someone within 48 hours after it ends. I usually ship prizes within a week. Not sponsored or affiliated.
What were your skincare favorites of the year?