Marc Jacobs Beauty Enamored Hi-Shine Nail Lacquer: Petra #140

Marc Jacobs Petra #140 Enamored Hi-Shine Nail Lacquer ($18 for 13 ml/0.43 fl oz, Sephora.com) is a rich complex sparkly plum-taupe-silver. It’s one of those shades loaded with multi-colored shimmers giving a foiled metallic look (think along the lines of Chanel Graphite and Delight). Petra has a thick formula that requires a slow and steady application. You need to let the first coat dry entirely before you apply the second. I had to redo several nails as I tried to smooth out the first coat (which didn’t work too well). The finish is smooth and streak-free. It has a smooth texture and feels like one of those shades that will adhere well to the nail and last a long time.

Here it is swatched with two coats, although one coat covered the nail entirely. It’s mostly a purply-taupe on me, but looks silvery depending on how the light captures the silver flecks.

In sunlight with flash:

In sunlight, no flash:

I couldn’t find anything quite like Petra. In the store it looked like it could match a few OPI shades but when I pulled comparisons, I couldn’t find any dupes. Here it is compared to Rococo Metal Jacket, OPI Holiday Glow, OPI The World is Not Enough and Dior Aztec Chocolate (now called New World Purple). All of these shades are rather complicated shimmers. Here are 2 sets of the same shades so you can see the shimmers:

I love the color. I wish I had this in an eyeshadow and eyeliner form. I wish I had this color in my closet as well. It’s perfect for this time of year and I found it unique. It’s a beautiful complex metallic without being too glitzy. I love that Petra has a lot of purple, taupe and brown mixed into the color with a tiny bit of silver. I’m currently testing and swatching half a dozen nail polishes or else I’d have this color on my nails the rest of the month – tips and toes. Marc Jacobs Beauty is currently exclusive to Sephora.

Follow the beauty look book via Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin

Comments

1. August 13, 2013 / 1:37 am

Wow, this one does not disappoint. It's quite unique idd, can't think of any shade close to this. I really hope we get to see something of the line here! ^^

2. August 13, 2013 / 1:45 am

:O I love this!

3. August 13, 2013 / 1:56 am

Hi Sabrina, MARC JACOBS Petra has such a great finish! It looks almost textured from afar. I second the idea that this would make a gorgeous liner color 🙂

4. August 13, 2013 / 1:58 am

Beautiful photos. This is one of the colors that really stood out to me and is on my wishlist! So pretty! 🙂

5. August 13, 2013 / 2:06 am

Hi Sabrina-I have the 007 colour and youre right, its very similar to this arc Jacobs colour, it also reminds me of 'My Private Jet (OPI)'

6. August 13, 2013 / 2:19 am

Wow, this really looks like a must-have! So shimmery, smoky, and unique. Will definitely have to check this out 🙂

-Jen

7. August 13, 2013 / 2:50 am

it's almost looks like a matte finish. i dont go for shimmery metallics… but this swatch of Petra is just beautiful. i think i might have to get it! thanks for swatching it!

8. August 13, 2013 / 3:13 am

I rarely drool over nail polishes but this is gorgeous! Looks perfect for fall. Can't wait to see other Marc Jacobs polish swatches.

9. August 13, 2013 / 3:33 am

Waauw! love the colour!
    Eefje

10. August 13, 2013 / 3:55 am

This color looks beautiful on you. It's odd since we have a similar skin tone, but Petra pulled much more mahogany on me. Either way it's gorgeous!

11. August 13, 2013 / 6:33 am

I really love the design on these nail polishes and this colour is gorgeous.

12. August 13, 2013 / 8:25 am

Such a gorgeous nail polish shade. Finish and color reminded me of Dior Aztec Chocolate and from your swatches I can see that this one is more "plum". I was thinking "wish Aztec Chocolate would be more plum" so I guess I need Petra 🙂 Thanks for the review.

August 13, 2013 / 11:17 am

Wow Sabrina, you have beautiful nails! What do you use to look after them/cuticles etc! I hope you reply.

Thank you! Your blog is my fabourite

14. August 13, 2013 / 11:43 am

Petra is calling my name rather loudly!!! This is the type of shade I happily wear on the eyes as well! Thanks for the comparison as well, Sabrina!

15. August 13, 2013 / 12:40 pm

Looks great on you, but every time I try a metallic shade, I end up going back to my nail tech for a polish change – I like it on others, but not on me!

Haven't gone in to Sephora yet, but I have read really good reviews about the concealer…I may just have to pick that one up!

16. August 13, 2013 / 7:08 pm

Wow, lovely! And I passed this one by in the store. I may need to have it for fall …

17. August 14, 2013 / 1:32 pm

Oh now this is pretty and I can easily imagine it going with just about everything. Thank you about the application tips.

18. August 15, 2013 / 2:21 am

This looks BEAUTIFUL! One of the more stunning nail polishes I've seen in awhile.

19. August 15, 2013 / 7:38 pm