Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet La Distinguée 33 and La Furtive 31

Chanel’s Rouge Allure Velvet formula was released last fall (see swatches on Karla Sugar, Messy Wands and Rouge Deluxe). Being a huge fan of the luxurious feel of the regular Rouge Allures, I was excited to try the new Velvet formula, however the two shades that caught my eye were not available to the US. Since the initial release, Chanel has released La Distinguée 33 and La Furtive 31 exclusively on Chanel.com for a limited time ($32.50 each). Unfortunately it appears that La Furtive (released online last November) is no longer available on their website. I’m not sure if they will bring it back or not. I hope they do.

Rouge Allure Velvets come in the same packaging as the regular Rouge
Allures. I love the pop-up feature of the packaging and the sleek simple
black tube. The coverage is full on me and the lipstick adheres well to the lips. To me these are like a velvet/cashmere blend for the lips. Even though these are described as matte, there is still a slight sheen to these and the texture is soft/smooth. They glide on the lips without any tugging. Lasting power is medium. Finish is rich but natural coverage. Texture settles in to mimic the feel of your natural lip.
  • La Distinguée 33 is a peach-pink with a velvet matte finish. There is a slightly luminous mixture of peach and pink in the color which gives it depth and a soft glow, even with the matte finish. La Distinguée goes on my lips a brightened peach tinged with pink. On my lips it leans more towards the warm/peach side. It glows and definitely brightens the face without looking too bright.
  • La Furtive 31 is a satiny peachy nude. This shade was featured on the runway at the 2011/2012 Fall/Winter show (as seen on La Chanelphile and Café Makeup). This color is borderline too nude alone. It doesn’t make me look completely washed out, but almost. I think this one would look best with a slightly deeper liner blended over the lip first. While I feel the color can be easily duped by other neutral nudes (MAC, Bobbi Brown come to mind), I think the formula is absolutely to die for in terms of application and feel. I really hope Chanel brings this back online.

Photos and swatches below.

La Distinguée 33:

La Furtive 31:

Overall, a huge thumbs up for both shades. If I had to decide between the two, I would highly recommend La Distinguée 33. US girls note this is limited edition on Chanel.com, if you are contemplating this shade, order soon!

Comments

1. May 27, 2012 / 5:00 am

Wow! These are simply gorgeous. 🙂 I need to get these asap.

2. May 27, 2012 / 5:08 am

La Distinguée is very beautiful. 🙂

3. May 27, 2012 / 5:30 am

I bought La Distinguee last year at my local Chanel counter, I live in Manila. I think Asia had both shades in advance or something. I was definitely contemplating on La Furtive as well, now I'm convinced thanks to your lovely post! 😉

4. Paige
    May 27, 2012 / 5:53 am

Like you, I found the initial shades released for the U.S. market uninteresting (too bright). So when La Furtive became available online, I immediately grabbed one and I'm glad I did. The formula is amazing: smooth and moisturizing. Looks like I should get La Distinguée as well. Thanks for sharing. You have inspired me to some really good makeup purchases.

5. May 27, 2012 / 9:25 am

You have so beautiful lips! La Distinguée looks good on you 🙂

6. May 27, 2012 / 10:12 am

SEams really dry

7. May 27, 2012 / 10:26 am

Yes, agree that Distinguee look very nice on you!

8. May 27, 2012 / 1:13 pm

These colors are so beautiful. They look gorgeous on your lips. And as always, your photos are great!

9. May 27, 2012 / 2:41 pm

Hi Sabrina..I bought La Distinguee – is the only Rouge Velvet I have – and I found the texture sort of dry and it goes on patchy on my lips. Do you find these difficult to apply compared to the Rouge Cocos? I do have dry-ish lips, so that could be one reason, but I was just wondering if you have any suggestions on applying it to get a better finish..

• May 27, 2012 / 3:14 pm

Hi Radhika, I found the Rouge Allure Velvets easier to apply than Rouge Cocos (for me). To help application of dryer-formula lipsticks, I typically prep lips first with a light layer Jo Malone's Vitamin E Lip Balm (for like 2-5 minutes, while I'm applying the rest of my makeup). This helps moisturize the lips.

But yes, if you have dryer lipsticks, I think the "velvet matte" finish of the Rouge Allure Velvets will probably emphasize lines or patches.

Hope this helps!

• May 29, 2012 / 5:19 am

Thanks, Sabrina! I love the color, and hopefully, getting my lips to better shape will help :fingers crossed: 😀

10. May 27, 2012 / 4:37 pm

Very nice shides!!! I love both! nice tones! thanks for sharing!

11. May 27, 2012 / 4:41 pm

Beautiful colors and swatches. I love the names! They are so sassy.

12. Gail
    May 28, 2012 / 1:31 am

Thanks for the tip Sabrina. I initially found La Furtive too nude, but now love it over Chanel Nude lipliner!

13. May 28, 2012 / 2:21 am

These colors are both gorgeous! Your lips always makes lipstick look good.
    X

14. Walls
    May 28, 2012 / 4:27 am

Thank you, Sabrina. La Distinguée had caught my eye on chanel.com, but I don't think I could pull of the matte lip look as well as you because my lips are on the drier side! Tom Ford's Blush Nude is about as matte as I go. Both Rouge Allure Velvet shades look beautiful on you.

15. June 8, 2012 / 10:08 am

I have both, I think I am going to have to return La Distinguee it does not seem to be helping me any I think it is pretty but its just looks blah on me. 🙁

16. June 15, 2012 / 6:30 am

I just bought La Distinguee tonight based in large part on the swatches here 🙂 I hope I like it!

June 17, 2012 / 3:58 am

Furtive looks fabulous on you! Nostalgic for me, as it reminds me of the colors we wore in the 60's.