Tom Ford Gold Dust Lip Lacquer

Tom Ford’s Gold Dust Lip Lacquer ($30) is a warm sheer smooth glossy gold with slight coppery tones. Gold Dust is one of two shades available in the lip lacquer squeeze tube format. I haven’t tried the other version (which is a clear sparkle) but have heard many good things about it. Gold Dust has a soft vanilla scent (more subtle than the lipsticks) and a very smooth finish/texture. It’s fairly pigmented when swatched on the hand but sheers out to a barely-there golden sheen. It’s fairly warm and borderline yellowish but I think it’s sheer enough for almost anyone to pull off. I have mixed feelings about this. I love the scent and texture but was a bit surprised at how little color shows up on the lips. Granted I think the lip lacquer style/formula from Tom Ford isn’t meant to be a high-impact color type of gloss, but rather an enhancer. So for the intended purpose I think it’s awesome. For a gloss, I would have liked a bit more pigment, but it does give a beautiful sheen and will work well as a layering gloss.

Close up photos, swatches and more details on the packaging below.

Comparisons to some other gold glosses.

Have you tried Tom Ford’s lip glosses or lip lacquers? What are your thoughts? For reference, if you click back on the archives, I reviewed and swatched some of the regular glosses about a month ago.

Comments

1. March 29, 2012 / 5:34 pm

hello gorgeous! I think I need that Chanel Gold Shine….

2. March 29, 2012 / 7:46 pm

thanks for the beautiful swatch comparisons! nars gold digger is so pretty!!

3. March 29, 2012 / 7:53 pm

oh gosh this looks so gorgeous! And all those other glosses are amazing too… i gotta get them down on my wishlist ^^ thanks for sharing! 🙂

4. tara
    March 29, 2012 / 9:55 pm

I've tried them and completely agree…they feel awesome on (different from the regular pigmented glosses) but just as good- more slick I think. And they are not about color- they are about sparkle and sheen. I did find it weird that it looks so pigmented in the tube and on the arm/swatch spot but this is the perfect gloss for girls who don't want color and just want shine.

5. March 29, 2012 / 10:47 pm

Hmm, I quite like this – it's gold a really great true gold look compared to the others, which are more like a champagne shade. Thanks for the comparisons! And I'm glad to see LM's Ambre Rose in a swatch, as it's on my 'to buy' list 🙂

6. March 29, 2012 / 11:31 pm

Ooh such pretty gloss. You have lovely lips.

7. Eileen
    March 30, 2012 / 1:42 am

I have the original lip laquer which is a gorgeous white pearl that leaves a smooth and even sheen on the lips. It is a polished rather than sparkly or ultra shiny look. It is an elegant layering gloss that is perfectly suited to pinks, roses, and berries. I just received my Gold Dust and love how it looks over warm pinks, corals, and burnished neutrals. TF really hit the mark in creating these two beautiful layering glosses. I bet come the holidays, Gold Dust will look simply smashing over red 🙂

8. March 30, 2012 / 10:50 am

The swatches of these looks so beautiful! I love both the Chanels and Tom Ford one

9. April 4, 2012 / 11:24 pm

Hi, found your blog through Jacq. She was right! You do such great swatches! ^^

• April 8, 2012 / 1:44 am

June 14, 2012 / 2:36 am

Do you know of any dupes for Gold Dust?