Chanel Foundation Brush #6

Chanel is currently revamping their US brushes and the first new one to be released is the #6 Foundation Brush ($45). Many thanks to Cafe Makeup who let me know this was released with the new foundation (the brush was not on the Nordstrom display and without her, I would not have realized this was out). The brush has a sleek and sophisticated look with a matte black handle and silver embossed lettering. I’ve tested the new one for about a week with different liquid foundations and find it performs very well to evenly blend the foundation on the face. With all foundation brushes, I find a bit of streaking because of the bristles. I typically prefer a sponge, but when I do use a brush, I always end up smoothing out my face with fingers or a sponge. This one seems to work better for me than most others because the bristles are more naturally tapered.

Here are a few closeups of the new Foundation Brush #6, the handle has a beautiful black matte finish which contrasts nicely to the silver lettering:

Compared to the original one #16, the new #6 is made of different bristles, is slightly shorter in overall length, has shorter bristles and is slightly chubbier in depth. Both the original and new versions are made in China. To me the performance is very similar but I prefer the look of the new one. It just looks cleaner and more professional. Here is the original compared to the new:

Here is the new Chanel compared to a few other brands including Armani, Prescriptives and MAC:

The other brands have worked well for me in past years. The oldest one I own is the Prescriptives Foundation brush which has held up for me since my high school days. All the ones I’ve tried have worked well, I have no complaints, but the new Chanel #6 definitely has the best design and at $45 seems  very reasonably priced (unlike their eyelash curler). Definitely worth checking out if you’re near a Chanel counter. I’m testing out the new Perfection Lumiere and so far love it but need a few more days of use to provide a thorough review.
Have you checked out the new Chanel foundation brush? Do you own the original? What are your thoughts comparing the two?

Comments

1. September 28, 2011 / 8:17 pm

Glad to see your review on this! I love the comparison shot with the other brushes.

I got this a few weeks ago after a makeover at Chanel. Although the actual makeover was a very bad retail experience I liked the foundation brush enough to get it despite being so upset. I love it!

2. September 28, 2011 / 9:08 pm

I'm so glad Chanel revamped their brushes. I never bought their brushes because I didn't like that the US version had a shiny handle and a brass?/colored? ferrule. I prefer a matte black handle with a nickel ferrule.

I will definitely be checking out Chanel's new brushes now. =)

3. September 28, 2011 / 9:13 pm

I like Chanel # 6 !
    I use MAC #190 or Sigma!
    I love them too!
    Have a nice evening 🙂
    xoxo

4. September 28, 2011 / 9:48 pm

Looks like a very nice tool to use.

5. September 28, 2011 / 9:54 pm

I have the original and it's a pretty good brush, but I'll get this one as well because it looks really nice. I'm really curious about the new foundation and how it compares to Vitalumiere Aqua and Lingerie de Peau. Thanks for a great review!

6. September 28, 2011 / 11:36 pm

The brushes look amazing!

Kisses, Melanie

7. September 29, 2011 / 12:29 am

I love the comparison shot with other brushes, thanks for sharing!

-Cassie

8. September 29, 2011 / 12:46 am

You got me really confused now..:-P I bought this Chanel foundation brush half a year ago in Australia…it certainly looks like the revamped version but the handle looks slight different to yours.
    (sorry I don't mean to spam your site..please feel free to delete the link..)

I absolutely love this brush, one of the best I've ever tried.Btw lol I bought my Prescriptives Foundation brush in my high school days as well 😛

9. September 29, 2011 / 1:09 am

I think Chanel Brushes are a good investment. I have the old number 16 brush and it has lasted me over 10 years! I now use the LY brush but Chanel has not let me down.

10. September 29, 2011 / 2:04 am

Another reason why I love Chanel 😉

11. September 29, 2011 / 2:52 am

Wow the new brush is so beautiful!

12. September 29, 2011 / 6:58 am

Are these new brushes the same as the Euro/Asian brushes?

September 30, 2011 / 2:03 pm

I received mine yesterday and tested it last night and again this morning. I'm kind of on the fence about it. It's a lot smaller than I expected — which is not necessarily a bad thing — but I was comparing it to a very inexpensive pointed foundation brush I own (from Walmart, no less) which has the exact same fibers and the latter actually does a better job. I love the aesthetics of Chanel but am trying to be practical considering the fact that my $6 brush works better. On the other hand, I have been waiting for the Euro brushes to be released in the US for forever so I may actually end up keeping this anyway. 🙂