Dolce & Gabbana Agave and Bronzo Crayon Intense Eyeliner

The new eyeliner shades from Dolce & Gabbana summer are Agave #15 (a metallic ivy green) and Bronzo #14 (a silvery taupe). These retail at $29 each at saks and come with an angled smudger at one end with the actual liner on the other. The Dolce & Gabbana eyeliners I’ve tried come in three finishes: matte (like Black), matte base with shimmer flecks (like Coffee or Stromboli) and then a frost (like Shimmer). Agave and Bronzo for summer are the shimmer finish which have a softer but buildable application/finish. They are easily blendable for a smokey eye. The colors are beautiful but lasting power is average and fades by late afternoon. They don’t smudge though unless you rub your eye.

Comparisons to Bobbi Brown Ivy, Chanel Black Jade, Laura Mercier Antique Jade, Dolce & Gabbana Agave, Dolce & Gabbana Bronzo, Dolce & Gabbana Coffee, Urban Decay Underground, Chanel Rose Platine and Bobbi Brown Bronze

I like, but it’s not love. The textures are nice and soft but the color payoff is almost too soft and subtle for my preference. I personally don’t see how either go with the summer quad this year. I do feel that these are better suited to complement the Chanel Perlees Ombres and Regarde Perle from Spring though.

Check out Makeup Magpie’s reviews and comparison as well!

Comments

1. May 19, 2011 / 4:38 am

I love when you do product comparisons!

Agave is really pretty looking in your swatches, but I'm certain it would not last on me. That said, I might try to get it anyway because of the color. I have to say, BB's Ivy Ink is really gorgeous looking. I've been ignoring those gel liners for far too long..

Bronzo is nice too, but I think it looks too similar to Chanel's Rose Platine (which I have) so I can safely pass on it.

Thank you for your review!

2. May 19, 2011 / 5:18 am

I like Bronzo— however it seems quite similar to Chanel's rose platine! I think the silvery taupe might complement the color scheme of NARS Dogon, which has a cooler tones atypical of summer.

3. May 19, 2011 / 6:39 am

This is an awesome post! Thank you so much for the comparison pics too!

I was waiting for your thoughts on the summer eye liners before placing my first ever D&G makeup order. Speaking of, did you ever get to see or swatch their Sicilian Lace bronzer (I know you also order sight unseen)? The girl I spoke to said it was similar to their Desert bronzer but that didn't help much hehe. What do you think of their bronzers?

4. May 19, 2011 / 8:24 am

Which do you prefer, the Bronzo or Rose Platine? They absolutely look like true dupes.

5. May 19, 2011 / 3:45 pm

Love the nail color you're wearing in the pic. Chanel Riviera?

6. May 19, 2011 / 6:49 pm

Great comparison! I'm def not a fan of eyeliners that do not have great color pay off. IMO, chanel stylo yeux waterproof liners have the best color payoff/staying power out of most stick-type liners I've tried. The color range might not be the largest, but I try to collect the seasonal shades that come out as well for more variety.

7. May 20, 2011 / 12:13 am

I agree these don't go well with the quad. Agave especially seems out of place in this collection!
    Thanks for the helpful comparisons! 🙂

8. Debra
    May 22, 2011 / 12:23 am

I used the Agave eye pencil today and paired it with bronze eye shadows, and BB Cognac Metallic Eye Shadow in the crease. The color of this liner with my light blue eyes was mostly a greenish gray with a lovely shimmer, but it lost a lot of the green hue.

It's still a very nice product and I appreciate the smudger tip (to be expected from higher end brands). My guess is that when I wear different colored eye shadows, the green in Agave will become more apparent.