NARS Velvet Gloss Pencils

The newest items from NARS: Velvet Gloss Lip Pencils, $24 each. All photos my own. I loved all the colors so much I had to get one of each. The finish is similar to those MAC Lipglass Pencils from the In 3D collection back in 2007. I have on Club Mix today and it’s a lovely plum with a pretty sheen. With the exception of the two lightest shades, Hopi and Frivolous, the other colors have decent pigment. They do have a natural finish so if you’re expecting a high impact type of pay off you might be disappointed. The texture is smooth with a soft gloss finish. I have yet to try Hopi/Frivolous on the lips. I am hoping to do lip swatches this weekend with a more detailed review. In my excitement I didn’t double check the boxes to see if these came with sharpeners. I know NARS Lip Pencils usually do not, however at $24 each it would have been nice, especially for a chubby stick. I’m not in love with the price but the formula and finish is lovely and the colors are just beautiful.

* On the nails, Chanel Rose Paradise Le Vernis (has been reviewed here)

Comments

1. February 2, 2011 / 6:09 pm

These are lovely! Can't wait to try them. Which nail polish are you wearing, Sabrina?

February 2, 2011 / 6:32 pm

Hey Lina,

*waves*

Hope you are well. I second that…what's the mani? You always have beautiful nails that I think the color should be a general disclaimer in all your posts, lol!

Laura 🙂

3. February 2, 2011 / 7:08 pm

NARS has great products. The colors are lovely. I hope you enjoy them all!

4. February 2, 2011 / 7:14 pm

Wow these look lovely. Are they drying at all? How's the lasting power? Thank you for posting your review!

5. February 2, 2011 / 7:57 pm

Beautiful! I would love to try out one or two (or all of these).

Can't wait to see how they look on the lips!

♥ Jessica

6. February 2, 2011 / 8:29 pm

These look nice! I will have to check out now. Loving the look of Club Mix

7. February 2, 2011 / 9:39 pm

I didn't even know these existed! I think I'm going to check these out on Thursday, love them!

8. February 2, 2011 / 10:29 pm

hello "new lover"! these are gorgeous!
    i think makeup companies should release more lip liner colors – other than the usual pink, red, plum – i think since the 90's there's been a trend from liners to lipsticks to gloss … now, back to lipsticks – makeup comapnies need to bring back more liners! thanks for sharing

9. February 2, 2011 / 11:47 pm

I ordered New Lover and have to wait for it to arrive. In the meantime, it is so nice for you to have these swatches and info up.

I own Bettina in the matte version and it is a great base as well as stand-alone product. I'm thinking that these velvet gloss ones might be used the same way. Thanks for being so speedy with a brand new product!

10. February 3, 2011 / 12:27 am

I'm glad I wasn't the only onw who bought all of them. Did you buy any of the Nars spring collection?

11. February 3, 2011 / 3:44 am

These are so pretty! I would definitely try these, but you're right – at $24 a piece, there ought to be a sharpener.

12. February 3, 2011 / 4:46 am

Ooh, I can't wait to see lip swatches on you. Those look and sound so nice. I'm particularly attracted to Happy Days and New Lover. =)

13. JesselynL
    February 3, 2011 / 5:56 am

Wonder how these would compare to Clinique's new chubby sticks? They're nearly $10 cheaper too!

14. February 3, 2011 / 11:13 pm

Sabrina, was looking at the Nars website and the video clip showing a model wearing one of these pencils. Any idea which color she is wearing? In fact, I love her eye colors, too! Very subtle and attractive to my eye.

15. February 4, 2011 / 1:31 am

These look terrific. I really like the Matte pencils but I'd often put a gloss over them. I wouldn't have to do that with these. Thanks for the great swatches.

16. February 4, 2011 / 8:49 pm

Hey Sabrina – do you remember the Stila Lip Glaze pencils? This kinda reminds me of those. I have yet to try the NARS version. Honestly, I can't remember if I liked the Stila brand or not. I just remember them melting in my pocket. Ha – yes, I know that it was probably my fault for that happening!

17. February 6, 2011 / 4:11 pm

These colors look tempting and love the hint of sheen? Could it double as a lip liner? Chubbie pencils are usually not my go-to's…A Bobbi Brown version recently lost it's cap and wreaked havoc on the lining of my handbag.
    Still and all these are soooo pretty! Of course I will check them out.