I have an updated hair care post today! I’m sharing my current haircare routine and loves. I’m in the process of growing out my color treated hair and have been getting occasional toner + glaze treatments. As much as I loved having highlights – the processing was too much for my hair to handle and I started experiencing so much breakage! If you’re curious to see what I’ve tried, loved and used in the past you can always click on the posts by category. The Haircare Category Tag will bring up previous hair posts.
I rotate products frequently as I wash my hair every day. Some days are very minimal with styling but I use product in it, even when I air dry. I go through hair products really fast – they get used up easily which makes it easy for me to try new things. Here’s what I use on my hair for shampoo, conditioner and styling treatments.
I’ve split my favorites by category. I don’t use all the products at one time, but rotate depending on what I want to do with my hair or what the weather is like. Some days are humid and require extra work to keep the frizz to a minimum. Contrary to popular beliefs, Florida weather fluctuates a lot. It’s not always super hot or humid. It also really depends how far south you are. We’ve had a colder winter for Florida with temperatures in the 40’s and 50’s some days and then it will bounce back up to 80 and then back down. Right now it’s starting to warm back up to mid-70’s. I know it’s only a matter of weeks before we’re back up to the 80’s and 90’s!
Shampoo, Conditioners + Masks
My two go-to combos right now are the Oribe and Olaplex. I also really love Hair Rituel by Sisley but I go through them so quickly I can’t seem to keep them in stock in my home.
- Oribe Gold Lust Repair and Restore Shampoo and Conditioner are my favorites out of all the formulas I’ve tried from the brand. After going through three bottles of the shampoo in a very short period of time I invested in the larger pump size and love it. It’s a better value and while still quite the splurge 100% worth it!
- Hair Rituel by Sisley Smoothing Shampoo and Restructuring Conditioner if price is no object then these two are the best money can buy. I’ve repurchased many times and find them perfect for my hair type. I’ve tried every shampoo formula they have and the smoothing is my favorite.
- Hair Rituel by Sisley Regenerating Hair Mask is what I have in my shower/bath right now. I’ve loved Briogeo, Christophe Robin and Moroccanoil – I go through these so fast as well, I haven’t had a chance to look through all the new launches to see if there is anything else new I should try.
- Olaplex everything! I can’t even count the times I’ve repurchased the No. 3 Hair Perfector, No. 4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo and No. 5 Bond Maintenance Conditioner. They are on the thicker side so if you have ultra fine hair they might be too heavy for your hair.
- Dae Hair was founded by Amber Fillerup Clark who I think has the some of the prettiest hair styling out there! I was so excited to try her line. The Dae Shampoo and Conditioner are great everyday kinds of products. They smell like floral bubblegum to me and love that they wash and rinse without any buildup.
- dp HUE Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse is something I’ve been trying out as a shampoo alternative since I wash my hair daily. I really like it although it smells pretty terrible to me. The good thing is once it’s rinsed out there’s no residual smell. Makes the hair feel clean and healthy!
I blow dry my hair almost daily but try to minimize any heat exposure as I’ve been experiencing breakage. I did start working with a new stylist at my local salon and she’s been using a different combination of toner + glaze on my hair which seems to have helped the breakage tremendously!
- Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer is what I’ve been loving right now. Original review HERE. I’ve been seriously tempted to buy the Air Wrap Styler and today they just launched the Corrale Straightener. If you’ve tried it did you think it was worth the splurge?
- Wetbrush Detangler has been recommended by so many of you, since I experienced so much breakage I ordered one from Target and it truly does work better than anything else I’ve tried on wet hair!
- Yves Durif Vent Brush has been my go-to brush in general, still love it!
- Gisou Comb is my favorite comb, it’s currently not available but the most similar option I’ve found is the Mason Pearson Rake Comb
- Sephora Collection Mini Gloss brush is a great hybrid brush to keep for on-the-go
- HAI Ceramic Iron is the only flat iron I’ve used for years. It’s still a favorite and leaves hair smooth and shiny after use!
- Curler – I stopped curling my hair with the T3 Whirl Trio because it fried my hair as in literally burnt off strands. I don’t know if it went bad or if my hair was just significantly damaged from the highlight processing.
Pre-Blowout, Detangler + Heat Protectants
This is the category where I try new things the most frequently. Some of these are multi-taskers and can be used as finishing products as well. You don’t have to use all of these or more than one. I’ve included different options I’ve tried as sometimes I want a spray, other times a cream is better for me.
- Moroccanoil Perfect Defense is what I use when I flat iron my hair. It works really well to protect hair from heat and I highly recommend it!
- Oribe Run-Through Detangling Primer is best on super tangly hair days. I alternate between this, the Oribe Blowout or Bumble sprays.
- Oribe Royal Blowout Heat Styling Spray is one of my favorite heat protectant sprays for blow drying the hair. This also acts as a detangler for me.
- Briogeo Farewell Frizz Blow Dry Perfection Heat Protectant Creme is one of my favorite smoothing products to apply to the hair, I use it as a finishing product as well.
- Olaplex No 6. Bond Smoother is a great smoothing cream to use on the hair, especially if it’s weak or prone to breakage.
- Bumble and Bumble Bb. Glow Blow Dry Accelerator is a lightweight mist that helps speed up the blow dry process. I rough dry with a blow dryer first for a minute or two though before spritzing into the hair.
- Bumble and Bumble Bb. Glow Thermal Protection Mist is intended for use for hot tools, but I use it before I blow dry.
- Moroccanoil Original Treatment is a classic that cannot be beat. It’s the best multi-tasker to prime and smooth hair for blow drying and can also be used as a finishing shine product. I love how it smells and feels, it adds shine without being heavy!
Finishers for Shine, Hold and Frizz-Issues
Some days there’s literally nothing I can do to combat frizz. I know so many of you feel the same if you live in humid weather! Also with extreme heat + sweat some times hair will go flat within minutes of being outside. Here’s what I have found works, but I’m always looking for something better!
- Oribe Gold Lust Oil is a great hair oil to add shine to ends, it’s lightweight and smells amazing! It’s actually not my absolute favorite, but I’ve purchased several times and like it a lot.
- Drybar The Chaser Shine Cream is something I’ve used for many years, it adds shine and smooths the hair beautifully. It is rich so I usually apply on the ends or in very small amounts. Quick note that it looks like they’ve changed the packaging to a pump style!
- Hair Rituel by Sisley Precious Hair Care Oil is probably my favorite hair oil of all time. It’s 100% worth the splurge!
- Living Proof No Frizz Instant De-Frizzer is the best anti-frizz spray I’ve used. I can spray it in a light layer all over the hair and brush it out, or sometimes I will spray directly onto a small comb/brush and brush it through my hair.
- Living Proof Flex Hairspray is my favorite hair spray because it doesn’t leave the hair super crunchy feeling. There are other stronger hold sprays I’ve been wanting to try but haven’t had a chance yet. This one works for me and I love it.
Volumizers, Texture + Dry Shampoo
I don’t typically use thickening sprays. Sometimes I feel like I don’t need a texturizer because the salty air here already gives me enough natural texture. Here is what I love when I need texture or volume:
- Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray is the best hair texturizer I’ve tried, nothing else compares!
- Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo is a classic go-to for dry shampoo, I love the way it smells and works.
- IGK also makes really nice dry shampoos with different intensities, my top two favorites are the Jet Lag Invisible Dry Shampoo or the First Class Charcoal Detox Dry Shampoo (all three formulas are in minis in their Flight Club Set)
- IGK 30,000 Feet Volume Powder is my favorite volumizing powder, it comes in a tiny bottle where you pump spray powder into the roots where you want more volume. It’s very similar to the Oribe Swept Up, but I like the IGK one better.
- Oribe Thick Dry Finishing Spray is one of the few thickening sprays I find really works on my thicker hair. Sometimes my hair feels to thick/heavy to have thickening sprays work, but this one does!
- Bumble and Bumble Pret-a-Powder Post Workout Dry Shampoo Mist is new and has a bi-phase formula with powder inside to absorb oil after a workout. We’ve started going to the gym since last fall and although we typically go home right after to shower, sometimes we run a few errands on the way home. This has been really nice to use on the hair post-workout!
I still really love the Aquis Hair Towels to dry my hair and the Slip Silk Scrunchies. I’m looking for some good hair clips to hold up my hair as I always lose mine. I’ve used the ones from Drybar and T3 before and loved them. Currently looking for something new to try!
For those who wanted to know what I’ve been loving for the hair I hope you found this post helpful! Also hoping the split by category helps you sort through the products to help you find what you’re looking for.
What is your hair type and what are some of your favorites? Any new recent discoveries or finds you want to share?
Shampoo + Conditioners
Dae Hair products, Bumble Pret-A-Powder Spray, Moroccanoil Perfect Defense and Original Treatment provided for review.