Diptyque Candle Jars Recycled

By popular request, here is a simple step-by-step guide to cleaning candle jars so you can recycle and reuse them as decorative containers. This will work for most candles. My favorites to re-use are Diptyque and Henri Bendel mainly because the jars are sturdy and even if there is a slight burn on the sides, the glass is strong enough so it doesn’t leave burn marks (most of the time). I like the way Henri Bendel candles are simple and clean looking. For Diptyque, I love the oval stickers and the fact that heat from the flames doesn’t change the color or make them peel.
Tools needed: Hot running water, paper towels and a flat-edged spoon (I prefer spoons because they are safer to use) … and of course a finished candle! The spoon below is a hot chocolate spoon from Crate and Barrel from several years ago.

____________________________________

Step 1: Make
sure your finished candle has finished cooling. Take the spoon and
carve or scoop out any wax. The hard edges make the wax easier to scoop
from the bottom corners where the sides meet the base. Work around the
candle in a carving motion around the sides and then on the bottom.
Depending on the candle, room temperature, how much you’ve burned, you
may find some waxes more stubborn than others. Having remnants are ok,
we will remove in the next few steps.
____________________________________

Step 2: Take a paper towel and wipe down any excess burnt pieces and wax. A stiffer paper towel will help pick up some of the wax you scraped off. If it doesn’t come completely clean, not to worry. Most of the cleaning has to be done in a series steps where the jar gets progressively cleaner.
____________________________________

Step 3: If stubborn wax remains, fill the jar with hot water. Make sure it’s not too hot (definitely not boiling). If the heat is too high it can crack the glass. Let it sit for 30 seconds to soften the glass. Note that you can re-arrange any of the steps. I like to scrape, wipe and then fill with water to remove as much wax and burnt edge remnants as possible before adding water to soften the excess.
____________________________________

Step 4: Now that the warm/hot water has softened the waxes on the sides, repeat the cleaning process with a paper towel to wipe the inside completely clean. The wax should glide off easily and adhere to the paper towel. If there’s still wax remaining, repeat by adding hot water for an additional 30 seconds and wipe clean again.
____________________________________
Now your candles cleaned and ready to use for decoration!

There are a number of different ways to clean out your candle jars. This is just one I’ve found works. Some recommend freezing the jars to help the wax pop out. I haven’t tried it – if you have I’d love to hear how it worked for you. For me, I tend to leave things in the freezer and forget about them. Also using the method listed above is faster for me rather than having to wait for the jars to cool/freeze in the freezer. Others recommend pouring boiling water to soften and remove the wax – I personally wouldn’t recommend boiling water since the glass might not be strong enough to sustain the shock in different temperatures.
I haven’t tried all the candles from Diptyque, but so far my top three favorites are Baies, Figuier and Mimosa ($28 for the small and $60 for the regular size). Right now Nordstrom has an Anniversary Sale special duo with Baies and Figuier that comes with the lid and wick trimmer (for $120). Shop my favorites below.

For some Diptyque recycle ideas, you can see some snippets on my @beautylookbook
Instagram feed. Also visit my other blog Styled Notes – I’ve written a
special post focued just on recycled decor ideas for Diptyque
candles.

Follow the beauty look book via Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin

Affiliate Links

Comments

July 20, 2013 / 8:16 pm

I love to use mine for makeup brushes and even use one on my vanity to store lipgloss. My favorite scent this summer has been violette, but my personal year round favorite is Opoanax.

I read somewhere that Mimosa is Karl Lagerfeld's favorite. I should try that one next.

x, M.Fay

• July 21, 2013 / 12:12 am

I've heard so many good things about Violette! I loved Opoanax – unfortunately I dropped that one and broke it before I was able to burn 🙁 It's on my wishlist. I will be sure to check out the Violette next time – thanks for the recommendations!

2. July 20, 2013 / 8:30 pm

There is a much easier way to do this. Just put them in the freezer and any wax left in there pops right out.

3. July 20, 2013 / 8:34 pm

One of the easiest way to clean up candle jar for me is to: 1. burn until the wax is all liquid, 2. cool it down a bit and 3. pop it in the freezer for an hour or so. The wax will shrink right off the glass and pop right out! Now scraping & coercing needed. Nice collection!

• July 21, 2013 / 12:10 am

Thanks for the tip Claire – I will try it next time, I'm often too impatient to wait for it to freeze, but will be sure to try next time I finish a candle 🙂

• July 21, 2013 / 5:39 am

Let me know how it goes!

P.S. Love the nail polish too!!

4. July 20, 2013 / 8:39 pm

Sorry for the double post, Sabrina, but to add to the freezer method I mentioned: it won't work if you start with a cool candle already solidified in the container, but be careful not to put the still-hot glass into the freezer either. I'd say cool the burned wax to room temp (until you can touch the outside and it's not hot anymore) then put it in the freezer. This method always works for me, even for ceramic candle containers like the ones from Mariage Freres/Laduree.

5. July 20, 2013 / 11:49 pm

You have a gracious and artistic sensibility, Sabrina. Although I already know how to remove wax from containers, I enjoyed looking at your lovely composed pictures which made such a mundane task seem elegant. Even your nail polish plays with different shades of pink the same as the gorgeous roses you used as props.

• July 21, 2013 / 12:09 am

Thank you Eileen! Your kind words always make my day 🙂

6. July 21, 2013 / 12:58 am

Hi Sabrina, It was fun to see your candle cleaning tutorial in photos, especially since we've enjoyed your Diptyque jar collection on The Beauty Look Book for some time now! I've used the freezer method on other candles successfully, however I probably wouldn't use them for Diptyque candles, because the cold makes it easier for labels to fall off!

• July 21, 2013 / 1:36 pm

Thank you – glad you enjoyed. Good to know on the freezing method and the possible effect it might have on the sticker labels!

7. July 21, 2013 / 1:41 am

so pretty! i use my large candle jars to store my makeup brushes. a tip, to get rid of the wax at the bottom, i place some warm-to-hot water and dish washing detergent in the jar .. leave over night .. and voila .. the wax should 'lift' to the surface over night =)

8. July 21, 2013 / 5:21 am

I love reusing empty candle jars. It would have been so helpful to read something like this before I tried to remove wax from candle jars the first time. I adore Choisya. It's my absolute favorite–so calming and relaxing. I always have to have a backup or two around.

9. July 21, 2013 / 5:27 am

Thank you for posting this, it is very useful.

10. July 21, 2013 / 7:35 am

Thank you very much for this! I have two empty Patchouli glasses and one Baies about to finish, and I got a bit hopeless when I saw how blackened the glass had become! I would like to try Figuier next.
    A question about the freezing method: is there no risk of the glass cracking? Do you have to cool it right down before freezing?

• July 21, 2013 / 1:37 pm

Hi Bella – I haven't tried the freezing method before, but others have mentioned it. I do think if you do try it you will need to have the glass cool down completely before freezing. I do believe that changing temperatures drastically (ie from hot to freezing, or even vice versa) will cause it to crack.

11. July 21, 2013 / 9:22 am

Thanks for the step-by-step tutorial, Sabrina! I'm definitely going to try this out next time I finish a candle!

12. July 21, 2013 / 11:30 am

I love your nail polish! What is it?

• July 21, 2013 / 1:38 pm

Hi – the first picture is Chanel Allegorie. The sparkly ones features Deborah Lippmann's Mermaids Kiss.

13. July 21, 2013 / 1:56 pm

i LOVE the look of using these for holding things ater they have been used up, plus they are so exspensive i can never justify throwing them away after i have finished with them!

Ive also used some clear glass candles as glasses for drinking from, and smaller one for shots 🙂

14. Lydia
    July 21, 2013 / 3:42 pm

I just used this technique to clean two of my used candle jars and it worked a treat! I was pretty skeptical about this working because both candle jars were pretty sooty, but they came out sparkling clean after soaking with hot water. Awesome!

15. July 22, 2013 / 4:39 am

This is def a great idea. I guess I have to recycle mine too. I usually throw them afterwards but knowing the importance of recycling makes me realize that it can still be used for other purposes.

July 28, 2013 / 3:15 pm

Love! I've done this with multiple candles and have never had much luck with the freezer method. I've had a much easier time spraying on some Goo Gone and leaving it for a few hours, and then wiping out the jar with a paper towel and washing the it with soap and water. I don't spray it on the outside, but I've never had a problem with it ruining the sticker if i a little happened to get on it.

17. Timbo
    December 3, 2013 / 3:38 am

Sorry to bump up this thread , but I find the best way to clean a Diptyque jar is to scrape out the wax with a spoon , as you suggest , then wipe out the jar with white spirit ; it removes the remainder of the wax and any soot staining. I found this the quickest of all after many attempts over the years , you have to watch the white spirit doesn't get on the label much as it may lift the glue , always works a treat !

18. March 8, 2014 / 4:30 pm

Great tips. I wish I could handle candles, but I am so sensitive to smells I can't own any. 🙁

19. March 9, 2014 / 12:44 am

Putting th jars in the freezer is my favourite method! Then you just pop a butter knife in the middle of the remaining wax and then you can clean it like any other dish. It's way more easier than your method!