The Sephora Beauty Insider Event for spring is happening next week and I have a roundup of recommendations of my fav picks. As a beauty lover I’ve found a lot of things I really love so narrowing down my picks was quite the challenge but I managed to edit my list to current by category to help organize everything. Many of you are lipstick and lipgloss junkies like me but I know others prefer skin care or hair care instead so I tried to cover a little bit of everything. Shown above:
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16
First, a quick rundown on the Sephora sale dates and details along with the codes:
- 4/18 to 4/24 VIB Rouge will receive 15% off, use code ROUGESPRING
- 4/19 to 4/24 VIBs will receive 15% off, use code VIBSPRING
- 4/20 to 4/23 BIs will receive 10% off, use code BISPRING
Skin care recommendations
- Tatcha Balanced Pore Perfecting Water Gel Moisturizer is the perfect lightweight gel for normal/combo skin, I don’t typically like gels because they feel sticky or tacky but this one feels nice and wears well under makeup
- Estee Lauder DayWear UV Base Advanced Anti-Oxidant and UV Defense SPF50 is a face sunscreen I’ve really been loving, I used it many years ago but don’t remember loving it, I’m not sure if this is a new formula or a classic, but it’s one of the best I’ve tried (sunscreen story is still coming I promise! I have two more formulas to test before I post the roundup)
- Kate Somerville Gentle Daily Wash Cleanser is my favorite daily cleanser, it’s gentle, effective and I’ve lost count of how many bottles I’ve repurchased, her cleansers are my absolute favorite and I also love the Eradikate Cleanser and Exfolikate Cleanser to help clear up congested skin
- La Mer Moisturizing Soft Lotion is one of my go-to’s for sensitive skin, it’s ridiculously expensive and I have never seen it go on sale, this is a great time to save a little and splurge
- SK-II Facial Treatment Cleansing Oil current favorite cleansing oil, it has a cushiony soft silky feel, it has a decent amount of product in a bottle and comes with a really nice pump, with so many products that have wonky packaging, I really appreciate the brands that take care to design good packaging with pumps that function well (this is one of them!)
Hair care recommendations
Perfume and body loves
- Jo Malone Wood Sage and Sea Salt Cologne – Sephora just started carrying Jo Malone!
- Tom Ford Sole di Positano Eau de Parfum is the newest launch, I absolutely adore this one
- Tom Ford Soleil Blanc Eau de Parfum is probably my most-worn fragrance
- L’Artisan Mure et Musc or La Chasse Aux Papillons are both classics for soft feminine scents, my husband likes this brand of perfume on me the most, they updated the bottles into a more masculine streamlined look
- Fresh Sake Bath is the ultimate relaxation product for baths, I rediscovered late last year and it’s seriously addictive, it melts my stress away and I’m a little embarrassed to admit how many bottles I’ve gone through in the past few months, but it’s SO worth the splurge
Eye makeup recommendations
- Make Up For Ever makes some seriously amazing shadows, I own several full-sized colors from the Artist Palette Volume 1 -Nudes, I wish I had just bought the palette instead, it has a really good mix of high quality neutrals in shimmers and mattes for a soft or smokey eye
- Urban Decay Naked2 and Naked3 have been on my favorites list for years, I never tire of them, I find them to still be among the best for neutrals, swatches of both palettes here
- Marc Jacobs Style Eye Con No 7 is another great quality eyeshadow palette, current favorites are The Lover (swatch here) or The Dreamer (swatches in this post here)
- Burberry Eye Colour Contour Smoke Pen in Pale Copper is one of my favorite copper shimmer washes for the eye
- Tom Ford Cream and Powder Eye Duos in Paradiso (swatch here) and Young Adonis (here) are the prettiest new launches for summer, if you don’t like glitter you may want to pass, although I don’t consider myself a glitter person by any means and the Tom Ford shadows are among the few that I actually like and feel like I can wear easily
Mascara and brow picks
- Bobbi Brown Eye Opening Mascara is one I’ve repurchased a number of times since discovering it last July, it holds curl, volumizes, doesn’t smudge has a rich deep color and does everything I want it to!
- Armani Eyes to Kill Waterproof is one I’ve used for years (even when it was in the older style packaging), I love this one for no-smudging
- YSL The Shock is probably my newest discovery, I like this for definition, volume and no-smudging
- Marc Jacobs Beauty O!Mega Lash is one I used years ago, I repurchased so many times but haven’t in a while since I’ve been trying so many other formulas, still this one has been a solid go-to for the times I’ve owned it
- Diorshow Browstyler in Universal Brown is hands down my go-to for easy natural looking brows
Base and setting recommendations
Concealer and powder picks
Last but not least for the cheeks
That wraps up my top picks for recommendations by category. I’m in the process of working on my own list. At the moment I have quite a bit of skincare that I’d like to either try or stock up on. I have some body and hair care products as well I need to replenish – I’ve run out of a lot of product! I do have a lot of Surratt eyeshadows I’ve had on my list that I may order. Also the new Hourglass bronzers are tempting but I just bought two of the NARS Sunwash Diffusing Bronzers. If you struggle with shopping lists you’re not alone!
Let me know what you have on your radar for the Sephora sale. I’d love to hear what’s on your list! If you have any other questions for recommendations leave a comment below and I’ll do my best to answer quickly before the sale starts. Quick recap, sale is for Sephora in stores and online:
4/18 to 4/24 VIB Rouge will receive 15% off, use code ROUGESPRING
4/19 to 4/24 VIBs will receive 15% off, use code VIBSPRING
4/20 to 4/23 BIs will receive 10% off, use code BISPRING
Kat Von D Beauty launched new nude shades of the popular Everlasting Liquid Lipstick ($20 each for 6.6 ml) and being the neutral lip lover I am, I jumped on the bandwagon the day they launched. Thanks to sneak peeks on social I was able to see swatches and photos before ordering so I knew there might be one shade that wouldn’t work for me but decided to give it a try anyways. What I ordered: Muneca, Ophelia and Ludwig. I already own Noble, Bow N Arrow and Lolita so I decided to swatch them all for you side by side. Lolita is their best selling shade I think virtually everyone has tried so it serves as a good baseline for comparisons.
Many of you have raved about this formula and I’ve tried it and thought it was good but none of the shades really worked all that well for me with the exception of Bow N Arrow. The colors are super edgy and trendy and the conservative ones were too dark for my taste. Two of the new nudes are just absolutely perfect in color.
Left to right:
- Noble is a pale peach nude cream it runs pale on me and with the high contrast to my natural lip tone is prone to streaking, but with a bit layering smooths out
- Muneca is a pale pink peach, this one is not a good look on me, it’s a color I suspect I could mix with a darker shade or liner, but alone it just clashes with my skintone too much, looks chalky, streaky and emphasizes lip lines
- Ophelia is a perfect nude peach, it’s described as a nude chestnut, I don’t really see it as a chestnut kind of color because it has some pink and peach in it, it’s just so perfect
- Ludwig is the best one for me in my opinion, it’s a nude fawn shade that doesn’t wash out the complexion and pulls a bit deeper than Ophelia making it more wearable for me
- Bow N Arrow is a beige nude that pulls cool toned on me, it looks amazing on fair complexions, I like the color but sometimes it can make me look a little dead
- Lolita is a deep rose with cool tones, I have a love hate feel for this, sometimes it’s too dark and cool, right now I’m lighter in skintone and I actually really like it for a more dramatic neutral
Lip swatches on bare lips:
I really love the look of Ophelia and Ludwig – they are similar but for me different enough to justify both. I do favor Ludwig because it’s deeper and easier for me to wear color-wise. Lasting power is typical with these – they literally stay put all day long without budging and a little goes a long way. With these I had a learning curve with application – if you apply too much it can give me the shriveled lip look as many matte lipsticks can. With these apply a thin layer. Sometimes I’ll add a bit of balm or clear gloss on top just to give it a bit of shine – I know that kinda defeats the purpose of a full coverage matte liquid lipstick, but I like what I like. I like that these are unscented and don’t dry out my lips.
You can find the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks and new shades at Sephora and Kat Von D Beauty for $20 each.
Do you have any favorites?
P.S. This may be old news but I just saw travel sizes of the Lock-It Powder and Setting Spray launched so I picked up one of each to try during my last Sephora visit. And I know it’s been a long time since I did my Lock-It concealer swatches but I will review it soon.
Mini lip products are my weakness and for spring Sephora launched a new Sephora Favorites set called Give Me Some Nude Lip ($28 for a $88 value). It has six lip colors from different brands with a mix of four minis and two full sized products. To me the color theme seems to have some more mauves and neutral pinks rather than all nude shades but I really like all the colors.
In this set you get:
- Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick in Honeycomb (0.05 oz/1.55 g) which is a perfect creamy beige, it has full opaque creamy coverage, also reviewed in this post here
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Le Marc Lip Creme in Slow Burn (0.05 oz/1.7 g) I have the liquid version reviewed here which I adore, I thought I had the lipstick version but after checking my stash I found I did not, this has full opaque creamy coverage
- Buxom Full-On Lip Cream in White Russian (0.07 oz/1.55 g) is a sheer white beige gloss that plumps up the lips and has a slight tingly sensation, on me it doesn’t sting but I definitely feel the cooling effects and it has a noticeable tingle, this has a high shine and semi-thick texture but isn’t goopy, also swatched here
- Too Faced Melted Matte Liquidified Matte Long Wear Lipstick in Queen B (0.08 oz/2.3 ml) is a soft light pink mauve, it’s a formula I had been curious about for a while so this set was the perfect way for me to try it, the color is wearable on me for a cool-toned shade and I liked that it didn’t dry to an overly matte finish
- Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in 1993 Comfort Matte (0.11 oz/3.4 g) comes in a full size, it’s a brown shade with a very slight cool undertone, this did indeed feel comforting on the lips and even though it’s matte, it had a soft looking finish that didn’t feel or look dry, based on this I may give the lipsticks another go (from my first experience I found a different finish very dry)
- Estee Edit The Barest Contour Lip Liner in In the Buff (0.009 oz/0.25 g) is a pretty nude rose, I have semi mixed feelings about this one, as a liner it’s medium-sheer so it won’t give full coverage, but it has a smooth texture that is easy to use and doesn’t tug if you line the edges of your lip, I love the color and the finish for a truly bare kind of liner that won’t look too done up, most of my liners though usually have more pigment, but I do think this is one I could get used to
It can be easy to get suckered into value sets or palettes. I usually try to stick with a rule that if there are 2 shades I don’t think I’ll use then I’ll try to pass. Sets are easier for me to justify because I can always gift away portions to friends. In this case the $28 price point didn’t seem like it would break the bank and the set had items I was interested in trying. I already have Honeycomb and White Russian but didn’t mind having another one of each, especially since they are minis.
For those wondering if you need both the Marc Jacobs Beauty Slow Burn Le Marc Lip Creme Lipstick and Liquid, the colors are identical. The liquid is more opaque with a glossy sheen while the lipstick has a more matte/satin finish. I would say it’s a tough pick – right now I have a slight preference for the liquid version, but they are both excellent.
To me the only real “nude” is Bite Beauty Honeycomb but I know everyone has a different take on what they think the color should look like. Overall I think the set has a great mix of shades that are neutrals but they are all very different from each other.
If these colors are up your alley then I think this is a great buy – you’ll use up all the colors because of the size and it’s a great way to try six formulas and brands at an affordable price. If not then I’d say save the $ for something you think you’ll really love.
The Sephora Favorites Give Me Some Nude Lip can be found online and in stores at Sephora for $28. These sets are limited-edition and usually stick around for a season.
Have you tried any of these formulas yet? What did you think?
Happy Friday! New beauty launches have started to trickle in and there are a few things on my radar this week. Most brands have yet to launch their spring color collections but I’m eager to see what everyone has in store for the season. Chanel launched theirs first with the Coco Codes and I’m loving everything so far.
- Chanel Le Rouge Crayon de Couleur ($37 each) just launched online at Chanel with eleven color options, these are jumbo crayons for the lips and are retractable, I will have a review and swatches on these in the upcoming weeks
- Guerlain Happy Glow Pearls ($74) and Happy Glow Blush ($54) just launched, I think there are a few additional items launching for spring but these are the only two I could find so far, they look so pretty!
- Giorgio Armani Powder Fabric Foundation ($64) is Armani’s latest in base launches, I’m really intrigued by this and have high hopes for it to work for my skin type, I’m not sure when it launches in stores but will be keeping my eye out to see if I can find a good color match
- Bite Beauty Agave Lip Balm ($18) comes in stick form now! I love the tube version formula in Smashed, so I ordered the stick, it arrived yesterday and the testing will start this weekend
- KNC Beauty All Natural Collagen Infused Lip Mask ($24.99 for a 5 pack) from Violet Grey is something my bestie texted me asking, “have you tried this yet???” – I have not but the concept is intriguing so I had to order to test it out, I will definitely keep you posted! I don’t know how I feel about a sheet mask for the lips but I’m super curious!
- Tatcha just launched a new product called The Essence ($95) which is a resurfacing softener, when it comes to essence or softening lotions I have to say that I’m 100% confused about what they’re supposed to do, when to use them and what the difference is between the options, I’ve tried the SK-II Facial Treatment Essence which did help improve texture and softness of my skin (I got lazy and stopped using it after I used up my minis), alternatively one of my friends swears by the La Mer Treatment Lotion which is also another softener – if you have any insight on essences or lotions I would love some insight!
- Burberry Liquid Lip Velvets ($34) have launched in 14 shades online at Sephora and Nordstrom, I have five that I ordered and will be swatching and reviewing them as fast as I can for you
- beautyblender just launched their beautyblender bubble ($20) and micro.mini bubble ($18) as a Sephora exclusive to celebrate their 15th Anniversary, they sent a lovely package over the holiday and I can’t wait to use them!
- Diptyque launches a special-edition Rosamundi Candle ($35 to $68) for Spring 2017, review to follow soon on this beautiful launch
- Charlotte Tilbury launched four Quick N Easy Sets ($75 each) designed with an edited selection of beauty products to create a look in 5 minutes, I’ll have these reviewed next week and will be hosting a giveaway so stay tuned for the post and details!
Have a wonderful Friday! What’s on your beauty radar right now?
Marc Jacobs Beauty just launched new liquid lipsticks called the Le Marc Liquid Lip Creme ($28 each for 0.19 oz/ 3.49 mL). There are six colors total all in the neutral category with full smooth coverage and no detectable scent. These are liquid lipsticks formulated with Brazilian Cupuacu Butter and Collagen to help give the lips a fuller look with a nourishing formula. My biggest rant with most liquid lipsticks or matte liquids is that they tend to emphasize my lip lines and give them a dried-out cracked look. I often have to add a bit of gloss or balm on top to soften the overall look. The Marc Jacobs Le Marc Lip Cremes have a satiny sheen and creamy finish so they don’t ever look dried or cracked on the lips. These come with a sponge-tip applicator. I like that there is a little clear window at the base so you can tell what colors they are without having to look at the labels or open them up.
The colors are all smooth and full coverage. They’re all creamy so no shimmers. Lasting power is impressive and they stay put really well for hours without budging or fading:
- Yours to Try is a yellow nude which is not a flattering color on me but it’s has a flawless finish and no streaks, the formula is excellent and very smooth with opaque coverage, the color however has too much yellow for my already yellow/olive toned skin
- Fawn Over Me is a peachy nude which is more wearable on my lips, with nudes I often worry how smooth they will look on my pigmented lips and this formula is flawless and streak-free in coverage
- Truth or Bare is probably my favorite, it’s a medium dusty rose pink
- Shush Blush is a described as a deep pink, on my complexion it almost pulls coral
- Slow Burn is a neutral cool nude rose
- Hot Cocoa is a brownish cinnamon shade
Several of you have asked for a roundup or comparison of liquid lipsticks and I’ve been working on one for the past few weeks – stay tuned! I’m still testing a few more formulas 🙂 Some quick thoughts on how these compare to a few other brands:
- The Marc Jacobs Le Marc Lip Creme colors (with the exception of the lightest one) are all easy for me to wear and incorporate into everyday looks
- Anastasia Liquid Lipsticks (Crush lip swatched here with a bit of clear gloss) have similar coverage and pigment intensity, but they dry to a cracked-looking finish (I need gloss on top) while the Marc Jacobs ones do not ever look dry
- Armani Lip Magnets (reviewed here) are among the best liquid lipsticks for texture, coverage and lightweight feel but all the colors run dark or deep, the Armani has a more weightless feel compared to the Marc Jacobs and the Lip Magnets meld with the lip texture in a more natural way
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks (Lolita and Lolita II swatched here) all tend to darken on my lip after drying, they also pull a little dry in finish, the Marc Jacobs lip cremes have a creamy feel, don’t darken or shift in color and feel more nourishing on the lips
- Christian Louboutin Loubilaques (three nudes swatched and reviewed here) are more of a lip lacquer but with a liquid lipstick feel, these are a lot more glossy and lush-looking in finish by comparison
- Tarte Quick Dry Matte Lip Paints (Bestie swatched here) have a distinctly matte finish
- NARS Lip Covers from summer (swatched here) have a similar concept in pigment and satiny finish but have a thicker creamier feel, the Marc Jacobs Le Marc Liquid Lip Cremes almost feel weightless when comparing the two formulas
If you like liquid lipsticks I think you’ll like these. Even though there are only six colors I think there’s a good variety to pick from. They’re neutrals that still have a pop of color so they’re bound to show up and look like you’re wearing lipstick. I haven’t been the biggest fan of liquid lipsticks just because they make my already-full lips look even bigger with the super opaque matte coverage but these have a nice satiny sheen that doesn’t make them look huge. My favorite is Truth or Bare. Have you tried these yet? So far they’re only available online but I suspect they will show up in stores in the spring. If you haven’t what are your favorite liquid lipsticks? Let me know if you have any review/comparison requests for formulas in the comments and I’ll do my best to include them in the upcoming roundup.
You can find these online now at Sephora and Marc Jacobs Beauty. They retail for $28 each.
These were provided courtesy of Marc Jacobs Beauty for review.