I’m excited to share my packing list, shopping map and beauty haul for NYC! As mentioned in my previous post I was in NYC for 3 full days. 1 day was for a conference, I had 1 full day of exploring and meetings with my friend Cafe Makeup, and then the following day I had until around 12:30 before I had to head to the airport to catch my flight. On my third day I decided to go to Soho for a quick stop at Away in the morning but most stores did not open until 11:00 AM so my shopping/browsing time was a bit limited. Next time I go to New York I will be staying in Soho – the area is just so charming and I could walk around for hours!
First a look at what I packed. The weather was mild – by Florida standards it was cold, but in comparison to the winter in San Diego it was very similar. I packed three tops, two pairs of jeans, three jackets and then also had the clothes I wore to NY which included a tank, jeans and a cotton cardigan sweater. Being a high maintenance hair girl of course I packed my hair dryer and flat iron. Since I had just come from a quick trip to Dallas I used a lot of the same beauty products and skincare. In hindsight since I only had one day in between trips I could have flown straight to New York but I was getting homesick and really wanted to see the hubby and fur babies.
Luggage, totes and accessories packed included a Louis Vuitton Neverful MM, Away Bigger Carry On (c/o), Truffle Mini Clarity Clutches (navy one c/o) , Glossier Pouch, Anya Hindmarch Inflight Case, Tatcha Travel Bag (discontinued) and a Tumi Just In Case Tote. The Tumi actually folds up into a flat compact square – I stuffed it for the photo so you could see the size. I’ve had this for years (and a few older variations) – they’re great to bring with you just in case you need an extra bag to bring home. For this trip I did check my luggage and many of you have asked how the Away luggage holds up. Between Dallas and NYC I checked it 3 times and it held up really well. No deep scratches and only surface scuffs and dark marks. I asked the reps at the store how to remove them and they recommended warm water and a washcloth or a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I did a little demo video on my Instagram stories which you should be able to see until around 6:00 PM EST. The magic eraser method really does work! Of course anything you check will get marks and eventually dents.
What I packed here ended up being similar to my Dallas trip, but slightly more edited. I wanted to make room in my luggage to bring home some things and hauls. Most everything fit inside the Away Bigger Carry On.
Clothing pack list:
- Short Trench from J.Crew (old style, current classic version here)
- Leather jacket by Joie (old style, similar here)
- Black woven jacket from Banana Republic (from several years ago)
- Black raw hem denim by Paige
- Classic skinny jeans denim by Frame
- Flats by Chloe
- Chambray button down by Joie
- Stripe tank from Rag and Bone
- Cashmere sweater from Club Monaco (old style)
Makeup packing list:
- Tom Ford Traceless Foundation in Natural (review here)
- Tom Ford Waterproof Foundation/Concealer in Natural (review here)
- Tom Ford Skin Illuminator in Fire Lust (review here)
- NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Ginger (swatched here)
- Dior Dreamskin Cushion in Shade 30
- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium Plus
- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Global Glow
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Bronzer in Luminous Bronze Light (review here)
- Marc Jacobs Enamored Hi Shine Lipgloss in Skin Deep
- Surratt Lip Lustre in Ensoille (review here)
- Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution in Pillow Talk (review here)
- Glossier Lip Gloss (review here)
- Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic in Ecstasy
- MAC Blush Pro Palette Small and Blush Insert custom made with Trace Gold and Fleur Power
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Eyeshadow Palettes custom made with Sateen, Gem, Birkin and Chocolate, Amber, Glisten, Comfort and Dark Chocolate Shimmer
- YSL Volupte Tint in Balm #2 (review here)
- MAC Brush #140S – remaining brushes same from my Dallas Trip (not shown)
- Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream Shadow Sticks in Sand and Golden Pink
- By Terry Ombre Blackstar in Bronze Moon (review here)
- Charlotte Tilbury Brow Gel (review here)
- Diorshow Brow Styler in Universal Brown
- Tom Ford Cream Powder Eye Duo in Paradiso (review here)
Skincare and haircare packing. I hoard my minis from GWPs as much as I can. Things here that you can buy individually:
- Tatcha Water Cream and Essence from the Ritual Starter Set
- Tatcha Polished Rice Enzyme and Indigo Hand Cream from the Travel Shop
- L’Occitane Anniversary Shea Hand Cream (limited-edition)
- Moroccanoil Hair Oil Treatment (mini size)
- Charlotte Tilbury Wonder Glow in this set
- MAC Prep+Prime Travel Spray (mine is a limited-edition scented one, but you can buy the unscented one)
- Bioderma Sensibio Tonic
- Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eye
- Purell (I picked this up at the airport)
Before I met up with Amy we discussed where we wanted to go shopping. I told her I was open to anything she wanted to see as she was taking the train up to see me for the day. I shared a map I had made last year (minus the tourist spots). I’ve done this for almost every trip I’ve gone on – I map out EVERYTHING from coffee shops, photo spots, restaurants, breakfast places, shops etc. This is an edited version with just beauty as my full maps get very cluttered. Thanks to Amy for asking me to publish this. She did an amazing one for Paris which I highly recommend. We didn’t get to everything on the map – in the course of one day we made it to around 6 places including lunch spots. We took our time, on our priority list was Creed and Bergdorfs and then we said we’d just take the day as it came. The map should be clickable/interactive – I’m not sure how it will look or work on mobile though.
This is what I ended up hauling, mainly beauty this trip. First a look inside Bergdorf Goodman:
Next stop was Barneys New York – how cool is their Mask Bar?!
From Barneys New York I bought two Sheet Masks from Starskin in the Diamond Mask and Close Up options, Cremorlab Silk Pearl, and the Peach and Lily Sheet Mask Set. From Bergdorf Goodman I bought a couple cushions from Sulwhasoo (I also ordered the third option from Nordstrom when I got home). Will be testing and report back soon!
At Creed I bought my husband the Original Vetiver Shaving Soap and Bowl – he’s been getting more into skincare and shaving and I thought this might be a nice unique gift for him even though it’s about 3x what he normally spends on a shaving soap. They wrapped everything beautifully and even made a couple fragrance samples for him!
Some late night shopping at the Sephora in Times Square, they have Tom Ford, Natasha Denona and Pat McGrath. On Instastories a couple days ago I mentioned how many beauty insider points I had. I forgot that I had redeemed A LOT for Drybar and Supergoop goodies. I think I asked for all the sunscreen minis they had lol!
What I hauled from Sephora was more than I intended. I only was going to get the new Dior mascara but what was I thinking, I always leave the store with more than I had planned on buying:
- Marc Jacobs O!Mega Bronze in Perfect Tan was sold out everywhere online but I did spot in store so I grabbed it, if you’ve been searching and wanting it, I’d recommend trying your local Sephora or Neiman Marcus to see if they have it
- Make Up For Ever Artist Liquid Matte Lipstick in 101 and 103
- Pat McGrath Labs Dark Star 006 in Ultrasuede Brown so I did not realize this was $130 and reviews are super mixed, but what I swatched in store didn’t seem as bad as people report, at the moment debating whether or not to keep
- Supergoop Hand Cream with SPF 40
- Diorshow Plump’N’Volume Mascara
- Erborian Glow Creme
- Milk Eye Pigment in Gig
- Shiseido Cotton Mini Pack (has 40 sheets)
- Beauty Insider perks I picked up included as many Supergoop sunscreens as I could get my hands on, Drybar Triple Sec minis, First Aid Beauty minis and the Tarte birthday set
Last but not least a quick stop at Byredo. I had looked for the mint Hand Cream Duo at Barneys but they were sold out so I made a trip to the Byredo store on Wooster and it was very minimalist inside. If you’re looking for this you can find it online at Byredo and also online Neiman Marcus. It was beautiful but very sparse. Online and at counters the travel size perfumes come in pre-made sets. Usually you have to buy a set of 3 with the same scents although they occasionally release mixed discover ones. In the store you can make your own 3 piece or 6 piece set but they don’t have all the scents available. I made my own with 2 Mojave Ghost (I’ve had this on my wishlist for over 2 years, I don’t know why I didn’t just buy it earlier) and 1 Flowerhead. They recommend you only carry them inside the leather cases because the glass is fragile. I’m trying to be extra careful with mine as I have broken a couple.
This is a shot of what I had with me on my way back home:
Hope you enjoyed Part 2 of my three days in NYC posts! I already can’t wait to go back 🙂 If you have any favorite spots whether it be shops, restaurants, coffee shops, hotels etc please let me know in the comments! I’ll bookmark them for my next trip!