MAC recently launched their MAC in Monochrome Collection featuring coordinating colors for eyes, lips and cheeks for some of their best selling lip colors. One of the best everyday neutrals for lips is their Velvet Teddy Matte Lipstick and I was beyond excited to see that they had a matching lipglass! I ran to my MAC store the week it launched and picked up one of everything except the glitter. I have swatches today, but I’ll say up front I think you should go buy the lipglass now. What I hauled, swatches + thoughts. For those wondering, my usual MAC Shade is NC35. Right now I’m in between colors, NC30 is too yellow, NC25 is too pale, NC37 is more on the neutral side but too dark.
- Velvet Teddy Matte Lipstick $19.50
- Best Teddy Lipglass $17.50
- Sur Satin Blush $24
- Soft Teddy Matte Eyeshadow $17
- Dear Teddy Frost Eyeshadow $17
Velvet Teddy Matte Lipstick and Best Teddy Lipglass
Velvet Teddy Matte Lipstick $19.50 is the same as their classic Velvet Teddy in the black tubes, this one has special limited-edition packaging in a pretty peachy nude to match the lipstick. If you already own this you don’t need the new one unless you’re like me and love the packaging! On me it pulls more pink on the lips than what I see in the tube. It’s a versatile neutral.
Best Teddy Lipglass $17.50 is a creamy pink nude, has semi-thick coverage, high shine and looks like my perfect everyday neutral, not too warm, not too cool – just right in between! I really love this color. It’s not as warm as Lust and Spice.
Swatches, I do think the lipstick is a little weird on me. Sometimes it looks more neutral, other times it pulls more cool-pink-brown. It shifts on me depending on the seasons when my skintone changes.
Swatch comparisons below. I just realized that I don’t have as many of the classic neutrals from MAC anymore. I purged a bunch of older tubes and gave the empties to my niece so she could use them for Back2MAC and pick out her own colors. Swatched left to right:
- MAC Liptensity Lipsticks in Clouds in my Coffee and Well Bred Brown
- Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Very Victoria
- MAC Liptensity in Smoked Almond and Doe
- Charlotte Tilbury KISSING Lipstick in Stoned Rose
- MAC Matte Lipstick in Velvet Teddy
- MAC Lipglass in Best Teddy
- MAC Lipglass in Soar
- Lawless Soft Matte Liquid Lipstick in George
- MAC Lipglass in Lust and Spice
Sur Satin Blush
Sur Satin Blush $24 is a semi-sheer brown mauve, this pulls a little too brown on my skin right now, I’ve lost my tan and feel a little on the sallow side, coverage is buildable, but I prefer other brand formulas of blush these days. I find that Charlotte Tilbury Sex on Fire is the color that works best for me for mauve-brown shades. MAC Plum Foolery is shimmery, more pigmented and has no brown. A few other neutrals swatched below:
- MAC Blush in Tenderling (discontinued)
- MAC Satin Blush in Sur
- Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic in Sex on Fire
- MAC Blush in Plum Foolery
- Marc Jacobs Air Blush in Flesh and Fantasy
- Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic in First Love
Eyeshadows Soft Teddy and Dear Teddy
Soft Teddy Matte Eyeshadow is a warm neutral brown and Dear Teddy Frost Eyeshadow is a warm reddish brown shimmer. Both are sheer to medium in coverage. These days I’m more used to higher impact shadows with rich pigment. These will layer for more color if you apply over a creamy base. They’re on the sheer side for me, which isn’t necessarily bad. I think Soft Teddy is a nice all over lid shade for a contour or depth. Swatches below next to a few other shades:
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Eyeshadow in Birkin is almost identical on my skin
- MAC Soft Brown is warmer in tone
- MAC Sable is almost plum looking, I always considered this warmer but swatched next to Dear Teddy it looks neutral-cool
- NARS Faster Pussycat is from the Skin Deep Palette
Makeup look below wearing:
- MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation in NC30
- MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation in NC35 to set
- Anastasia Brow Powder Duo in Medium Brown
- Eyeshadows used are MAC Naked Lunch, MAC Soft Teddy and MAC Dear Teddy
- Blush is MAC Sur
- Lipstick in Velvet Teddy with layered Lipgloss in MAC Best Teddy
- Top from Madewell (also available here)
- Large black makeup bag from The Daily Edited
Overall nice everyday neutral colors you can wear for any occasion. I really love the Velvet Teddy lipstick color and am glad they made a coordinating lipglass. The blush and eyeshadows are wearable, but these days I think there are better formulas out there. Again I don’t want to say that sheer is necessarily bad, sometimes it’s nice to have something softer that you can use as a blending shade or more subtle. I do think the eyeshadow colors are really nice and easy to wear although I would have preferred more color payoff for the shimmer.
Lasting power and quality of everything is true to MAC. Lipsticks and lipglasses last for hours without budging. I can’t go long enough without drinking or snacking to put it to the all-day test, there will be transfer. Although it did stay put for around 5 hours without fading on me while we were out running errands the other day. Blush color fades within a few hours on my skin, but most of their satin formula blushes fade on me by the end of the day. Eyeshadows did stay put without budging though!
The entire collection is limited-edition. You can also find the MAC in Monochrome in other cult classic colors like Heroine, See Sheer, Diva, Candy Yum and Ruby Woo. The See Sheer colors looked really pretty for summer. I might order the lipglass soon. For now I’m really happy with the Velvet Teddy theme.