I look forward to the Tom Ford Beauty Boys + Girls Lipsticks every year! Today I have review and swatches of my 2018 picks for the Tom Ford Boys and Tom Ford Girls and the formula is true to Tom Ford style with well made pigment, texture and finishes. They have that subtle vanilla scent to them and lasting power is similar to those of previously launched clutch-sized lipsticks. The sheers are sheer and glossy with medium lasting power while the creams stay put longer. There were a handful I ordered online sight unseen and I received some press sample colors. By the time I stopped by my local counter to see all the shades I noticed they didn’t receive all the testers and I didn’t have a chance to go back and investigate. Based on my online guesses I’ll say up front that I ended up with a lot of similar shades. As a neutral lip lover I’m thrilled, but even on my lips I could have skipped a few and opted for some of the more edgy colors.
Tom Ford Boys and Girls 2018 Picks
The formula for all the colors I tried is excellent. Smooth application, no streaky finish or patchy look. Even with the pale colors I found the finish to be really good. In addition this year the Tom Ford Girls Lipsticks have a stronger base than last year’s versions (at least the ones I have do). I experienced some breakage at the bases with the 2017 version. Some of you had the same issue. With all the 2018 shades I found them all to be 100% ok.
Colors I have reviewed have a mix of the Boys and Girls formulas. In general the Girls are sheerer with a glossy finish. These come in Ultra Rich (creamier but still glossy) and Lip Color Sheer (sheer and glossy). The Boys are more opaque and creamy with either a Matte or Cream finish. I prefer the Boys because they have better color payoff but really all the formulas are nice.
- Uma (Girls, Ultra Rich) is a pale flesh nude cream, it’s a lot more wearable on me than Blushed Nude or Spiced Honey, but still very pale on my lips
- Ava (Girls, Lip Color Sheer) is a semi sheer glossy shimmery champagne
- Monica (Girls, Ultra Rich) is a sheer light brown cream, pulls a little warm on my lips, but in the tube is more neutral
- Camilla (Girls, Lip Color Sheer) is a sheer shimmery peachy pink (please excuse the typo on the photos, I forgot to add an extra “L”)
- Alistair (Boys, Lip Color) is a neutral cool-toned nude, on my olive skin it pulls slightly mauve
- Gal (Girls, Ultra Rich) is a medium neutral pink cream
- Tomoko (Girls, Lip Color Sheer) is a shimmery pink cream, has tiny flecks of gold, pulls a little deeper/brighter than Gal
- River (Boys, Lip Color) is a medium peachy pink, pulls more peach cream
- Bryan (Boys, Lip Color) is a pretty cool pink neutral, pulls the tiniest bit cooler
- Ori (Boys, Lip Color) is a medium pink cream
- Helena (Girls, Lip Color Sheer) is a sheer cool plum pink
- Hudson (Boys, Lip Color) is a cream nude cool-toned pink
- Chadwick (Boys, Lip Color) is the perfect brick brown red
- Scott (Boys, Lip Color) is a sheer plum with subtle shimmer
A closer look row by row with lip swatches on bare lips. Set 1 has Uma, Ava, Monica, Camilla and Alistair:
Set 2 has Gal, Tomoko, River, Bryan and Ori:
I triple checked my swatches as they all look nearly identical. I do suspect if you have lighter lips or lighter skin tone you’ll see the difference between shades more on your complexion. I’m right at the medium olive point where these tones look the same. The color difference can be seen better from the product shot of colors in the tubes.
I did pull a few other Lip Color classics such as Sable Smoke, Pink Dusk, Spanish Pink to compare on my own. I think that it was a really tough call to detect the differences between Pink Dusk, Spanish Pink and the entire middle row of colors I swatched. If you had your eye on any of the full size neutrals but didn’t want to splurge, the clutch-sized Boys and Girls are a nice way to splurge at a lower price point with similar colors. Comparisons that look nearly identical to me:
Set 3 has Helena, Hudson, Chadwick and Scott (I also added Daniel for comparison):
For the Boys and Girls 2018 launches I tried, my favorites are Camilla, River, Bryan, Ava and Scott. I really feel like I should have ventured to try more of the plums or reds. I received a couple very bold colors (a bright purple and electric red) but since they weren’t colors I felt I’d ever wear so I gifted those away. I do think based on online swatches that Jordan, Ingrid and Nico look particularly stunning. I might take another look if I’m at the counter soon to see if they have testers, but there is so much coming out for holiday I’m thinking about waiting for other things.
You can see swatches of the 2017 Tom Ford Beauty Girls picks from last year. I found myself reaching for Katherine and Lara the most, although to this day Bradley is still my go-to nude.
You can find the Tom Ford Beauty Boys and Girls Lipsticks at all counters now. I bought half of the featured shades from Nordstrom and the other half were sent as press samples. Also available at Sephora, Neiman Marcus, Beautylish, Net-A-Porter, Saks Fifth Avenue.
Have you tried the new Boys and Girls yet? What colors did you pick up?