This year is the year that I’ve finally been able to commit to a regular fitness routine. Both Andrew and I have been trying to be more active and build our strength to live a healthier life. I’ve wanted to write about fitness and beauty from within for some time but I’ve never been able to follow through with any kind of exercise consistently until this year. We’ve mixed things up from running and started weight training and I’m really proud of the progress we’ve made! We still have a long way to go but for me the key is consistency and sticking with it. I’ll be writing more about my fitness routine and progress later, but for now I wanted to share my gym bag essentials. I was overwhelmed (in a good way) with the amount of feedback so many of you gave me on fitness on my Instagram stories over the past few months. Anything and everything from apparel, shoes and water bottles! I think having a good gym bag whether its for the actual gym or for outdoor activities can make a huge difference. It makes the whole workout process (pre and post-workout) a lot better and enjoyable. Here are a few things I’ve enjoyed using and found helpful especially in the intense Florida heat.
First I don’t have a proper gym bag but really any tote can work. I like open roomy totes to hold everything from water bottles, extra set of clean clothes, beauty bag, etc. For the most part I use my Goyard St. Louis PM – it’s lightweight and just the right size to hold everything. When I first moved to Florida a number of you gave me recommendations and tips on dealing with the heat and said to get a S’well Bottle ASAP. These are indeed as amazing as everyone says because they are insulated, keep your drinks cold and they are condensation-free. Bkr makes really fun ones too. They’re glass with a silicone exterior. The only issue for me is they’re a bit difficult to clean and they don’t keep water cold as long as the S’well but I really like that it is glass and not plastic. Shown below is a Bkr 500 ml Bottle, S’well Traveler Bottle 16 oz (like this for the wider lid, exterior is also slightly textured), S’well Stainless Steel Water Bottle 17 oz (this is nice because it fits in standard car cup holders).
For my beauty essentials I keep makeup to a minimum as I’m an afternoon kind of person for workouts. If you’re one who works out in the morning or mid-day you might need your full makeup kit if you’re going straight from the gym to work. The Daily Edited Transparent Cosmetic Case I reviewed a few months ago here is perfect for holding my fitness beauty essentials. I can fit a pack of face wipes and a tinted moisturizer in the bottom section. In the upper compartment I can fit my face mist, sunscreen bottles, mini brush, hair ties, deodorant and more. It’s perfect for travel but I love it for so many other things. Quick FYI, they’ve since changed the design a little bit but the dimensions and overall look is the same.
In general I don’t wear makeup when I’m working out. The heat in Florida makes any hope of having makeup last through even a light workout non-existent. I do love a good tinted balm, deodorant for reapplication and sunscreen is always a must. Wipes are also nice to have for convenience although if possible I’d recommend washing your face first. Things I’ve found useful for fitness beauty pre and post-workouts listed below.
- Sunscreen is a must if I’m outdoors. I’ve tried a number and with heat + humidity + sweat it’s hard to find one that doesn’t sting the eyes. On days that are extra hot I skip application on the forehead above the eyes and wear a hat. Ones I like include the Supergoop! Unseen Suncreen for the clear matte finish, Supergoop! Glow Stick for easy application and hydration, Fresh Sugar Sport Stick to apply on cheek bones and nose. For a quick reapplication the Supergoop! Refresh Defense Mist is probably the easiest way to touch up sunscreen throughout the day.
- Hair musts include a good set of hair ties, brush and dry shampoo. I really like the Invisibobble Spiral Hair Ties because there’s no snagging the hair and I’ve never had one break on me. They come in a lot of fun colors aside from the basic black or white. I’ve carried the Drybar mini brush with me for years now but lately I’ve been more into combs for quick and easy detangling. I ordered one from Gisou and love it! Dry shampoo for a quick post-workout fix is a must. My go to these days is the IGK Jet Lag.
- Some days a good face mist pre-workout helps calm and refresh the skin. The L’Occitane Aqua Reotier has been a nice affordable option I’ve loved for months now. They have a few other formulas I think are really good for the price.
- With the humidity and heat here, having an extra deodorant on hand for on-the-go is a must! I always reapply after a workout and my favorite is the Kopari Coconut Deodorant. It’s natural and keeps odor away, I love that it smells like sweet coconuts too. Also available in mini size in the Kopari Beauty Besties set, great for small bags or a makeup bag!
- I always have at least one Lip Balm on hand. We’re going into the dry season and there’s nothing worse than having dry or cracked lips. The Bite Agave Lip Mask has enough thickness that it sticks to your lips without sliding around even if you sweat. For a bit of color you can’t go wrong with the Dior Addict Lip Glows (I just bought the new Rose Gold color and am so excited to try it!).
- A few post workout favorites I have are from the CliniqueFIT line. There’s actually a lot more in the collection I haven’t tried but I really like the Post-Workout Mattifying Moisturizer because it really does give the skin a soft matte finish and oil-free. The Post-Workout Face and Body Wipes are super convenient for times you can’t get to a shower right away but need to wipe down. I think body wipes in general have a long way to go, but we’ve tried a number of wipes and these are the best ones I’ve found (although very spendy for how many are in a pack).
Our favorite place to run is along Bayshore Boulevard. We’ve also tried a few runs on some of the long bridges too. We love how much wildlife is here in Tampa – the view of the water is always so nice to look at.
A few extras I like to keep with me (and yes all this fits in one tote!). An extra change of clothes is always a must. Hair perfume is something I discovered last year and absolutely love the ones from Byredo. This season he has two miniature trios, one is Triple Gagnant Fleurs and the other (the one I bought) is Triple Gagnat Bois with Gypsy Water, Bal D’Afrique and Mojave Ghost. They make for nice refreshers. Having a good microfiber towel on hand is essential for me. Andrew and I have been using our Aquis Hair Towels to wipe down and dry off after runs. They’re super absorbent!
I’ve always been a Nike fan, but earlier this year I asked readers for recommendations on Instagram for favorite running and workout shoes. The top two picks were Saucony and APLs – so I tried both! I’ve really loved running in the Saucony Freedom ISO for the cushion and stability. I just ordered my first pairs of APL Techloom Pro sneakers recently and haven’t run in them yet but think they are great for weight training. The APL Instagram feed is so beautiful to look at, their photography is so crisp and simple. It made me order their new Techloom Slides in Parchment and Black. I never thought about wearing slides after workouts, but they’re really nice to change into post-run. Makes it so your feet don’t stay sweaty in your sneakers! They are also nice to wear around the house. The only downside is they come in whole sizes. I found a perfect fit with the Size 6. For reference I wear a size 7 in Nike and Saucony sneakers. In the APL sneakers I opted for 6 1/2 but could have gone with the 7. In general I’m more of a true 6 1/2 for most shoes.
That wraps up my gym bag fitness essentials for beauty and more! I hope you enjoyed this roundup. I’ve received so many recommendations from you about what you feel is the best, I’ve taken your advice and found some favorites. If you’re looking for gifts for fitness fans I hope this gives you some good ideas! I think anyone would love a new pair of APL slides, or a S’well water bottle paired with some other fitness beauty accessories. Now that I have color-treated hair some of you have suggested I add sunscreen to my hair and I have no idea where to start. Any recommendations would be amazing!
What do you have in your fitness or gym bag? Would love to hear what kinds of exercise or workouts you do. I need all the extra inspiration and motivation I can get! More on our fitness journey soon.
Press samples featured include Supergoop! Unseen, Kopari Deodorant, L’Occitane Face Mist. All other items purchased by me.