Marc Jacobs Beauty just launched new liquid lipsticks called the Le Marc Liquid Lip Creme ($28 each for 0.19 oz/ 3.49 mL). There are six colors total all in the neutral category with full smooth coverage and no detectable scent. These are liquid lipsticks formulated with Brazilian Cupuacu Butter and Collagen to help give the lips a fuller look with a nourishing formula. My biggest rant with most liquid lipsticks or matte liquids is that they tend to emphasize my lip lines and give them a dried-out cracked look. I often have to add a bit of gloss or balm on top to soften the overall look. The Marc Jacobs Le Marc Lip Cremes have a satiny sheen and creamy finish so they don’t ever look dried or cracked on the lips. These come with a sponge-tip applicator. I like that there is a little clear window at the base so you can tell what colors they are without having to look at the labels or open them up.
The colors are all smooth and full coverage. They’re all creamy so no shimmers. Lasting power is impressive and they stay put really well for hours without budging or fading:
- Yours to Try is a yellow nude which is not a flattering color on me but it’s has a flawless finish and no streaks, the formula is excellent and very smooth with opaque coverage, the color however has too much yellow for my already yellow/olive toned skin
- Fawn Over Me is a peachy nude which is more wearable on my lips, with nudes I often worry how smooth they will look on my pigmented lips and this formula is flawless and streak-free in coverage
- Truth or Bare is probably my favorite, it’s a medium dusty rose pink
- Shush Blush is a described as a deep pink, on my complexion it almost pulls coral
- Slow Burn is a neutral cool nude rose
- Hot Cocoa is a brownish cinnamon shade
Several of you have asked for a roundup or comparison of liquid lipsticks and I’ve been working on one for the past few weeks – stay tuned! I’m still testing a few more formulas 🙂 Some quick thoughts on how these compare to a few other brands:
- The Marc Jacobs Le Marc Lip Creme colors (with the exception of the lightest one) are all easy for me to wear and incorporate into everyday looks
- Anastasia Liquid Lipsticks (Crush lip swatched here with a bit of clear gloss) have similar coverage and pigment intensity, but they dry to a cracked-looking finish (I need gloss on top) while the Marc Jacobs ones do not ever look dry
- Armani Lip Magnets (reviewed here) are among the best liquid lipsticks for texture, coverage and lightweight feel but all the colors run dark or deep, the Armani has a more weightless feel compared to the Marc Jacobs and the Lip Magnets meld with the lip texture in a more natural way
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks (Lolita and Lolita II swatched here) all tend to darken on my lip after drying, they also pull a little dry in finish, the Marc Jacobs lip cremes have a creamy feel, don’t darken or shift in color and feel more nourishing on the lips
- Christian Louboutin Loubilaques (three nudes swatched and reviewed here) are more of a lip lacquer but with a liquid lipstick feel, these are a lot more glossy and lush-looking in finish by comparison
- Tarte Quick Dry Matte Lip Paints (Bestie swatched here) have a distinctly matte finish
- NARS Lip Covers from summer (swatched here) have a similar concept in pigment and satiny finish but have a thicker creamier feel, the Marc Jacobs Le Marc Liquid Lip Cremes almost feel weightless when comparing the two formulas
If you like liquid lipsticks I think you’ll like these. Even though there are only six colors I think there’s a good variety to pick from. They’re neutrals that still have a pop of color so they’re bound to show up and look like you’re wearing lipstick. I haven’t been the biggest fan of liquid lipsticks just because they make my already-full lips look even bigger with the super opaque matte coverage but these have a nice satiny sheen that doesn’t make them look huge. My favorite is Truth or Bare. Have you tried these yet? So far they’re only available online but I suspect they will show up in stores in the spring. If you haven’t what are your favorite liquid lipsticks? Let me know if you have any review/comparison requests for formulas in the comments and I’ll do my best to include them in the upcoming roundup.
These were provided courtesy of Marc Jacobs Beauty for review.