Glossier just launched three new flavors of their Balm Dotcom Universal Skin Salve ($12 each for .5 fl oz/15 ml) in Rose, Mint and Cherry and they are super cute. Everything from the pink plastic pouch, design on the boxes and color block design of the tubes screams fun. I’ve been a fan of the Coconut one and liked it enough to repurchased it (and ordered multiples as gifts for friends) so when I heard there were more launching I knew I had to try them. Right now they have a Trio Set for $30 which I think is affordable – plus how can you resist the cute packaging?
- Mint is a clear shade that has a very nice mint flavor and scent. I find mint hit or miss – yes it can be refreshing and cooling, but some scents or flavors are ones I don’t want to wear. Mint is one that can have a toothpaste vibe which I like for toothpaste, but not to wear. Luckily the Glossier Mint is one of the good variations.
- Rose has a soft rose scent that isn’t overpowering and isn’t overly sweet. This one has a soft pink tint but after a few minutes it basically looks clear. It feels smooth and lush on the lips.
- Cherry smells exactly like a candied cherry and has a cool-red-pink tint that shows up on the lips like a soft stain. I personally do not like cherry at all (I won’t eat anything with cherries or cherry-flavored) so this one is a no-go for me. I’m not sure if it’s my aversion to cherries that affected my opinion on this one but I felt this one to be on the thick side – and not in a good way.
- Coconut is one I reviewed when it launched last year. It sold out quickly and was out of stock on their website for months. I thought it was a limited offer and would never come back but I’m glad that it did. If you compare the old post to this one and look closely you may notice they changed the packaging slightly. Now there is a longer tube with more product but the overall design is pretty much the same.
Formula-wise these are described as universal skin salves that you can use on lips, face, cuticles – basically anywhere you have dryness. These have a medium to thick texture that I prefer to use on the lips or cuticles only (I haven’t been brave enough to test on the face). They add moisture to my lips and because the flavors are fun (cherry excluded) I don’t mind reapplying.
A quick look at the packaging and swatches:
If you’re one who doesn’t like reapplying product or if you want something more intense, I do think the Bite Beauty Agave Lip Masks are better – but the ingredients, concept, packaging and purpose is completely different. The Bite Beauty Agave Lip Masks are designed to be a leave-on lip mask and they don’t have any petroleum (while the Glossier products do). They are also more than two times the price (but I don’t mind). Below a look at Champagne and Smashed reswatched on the lips.
After I reviewed Coconut last year, a few of my friends asked me, “it looks cute but do you think it’s worth the price?” These are friends who are ok with a higher price tag for foundation, concealer, powder and some skincare, but for lip balms they are type who won’t spend more than $5 and will always go for what they can find at the drugstore because according to their assessment of the ingredients, they say “they’re exactly the same.”
I do think these are worth it. I love the packaging, the marketing and the cute zipped pink pouch they come inside. When you order these from Glossier the box it’s shipped in is also very cute, but I have a lot of appreciation for little fun touches. Things like a simple printed interior of the box with fun branding and cute sayings, adorable stickers (even though I won’t ever use them, I gift them away) and extra touches on the actual product boxes all get me excited. Even though the boxes are a throw away kind of thing, I still like them. If you’re budget conscious and also ingredient conscious (or perhaps as some may say more practical and less frivolous) then stick with your staples and what you love.
I really like the new launches, but my heart still belongs to Coconut because it’s like summer fun in a tube. Out of the new ones, I was surprised to find I really liked Mint because I’m really not a fan of mint-flavored beauty products. Rose is also really lovely. Cherry is a no-go for me but that’s primarily because I don’t like cherry anything (lemon or blueberry would also have been a no-go for me).
You can find the Glossier Balm Dotcoms in four flavors, Coconut, Rose, Mint and Cherry for $12 each. Right now they have a Trio Set for $30 (with Rose Coconut + Mint) which I believe is a limited-edition offer. If you click this referral link here you can save 20% off your first order. At this time I believe the only place you can buy these is directly on the Glossier website.
When I ordered these, there was a website glitch for the trio sets and they sent more than I ordered. Apparently it happened to more than one person and the Glossier team sent out a nice note saying we could keep our extras for ourselves or for friends. I’m giving away three sets + the coconut flavor and you can enter in the widget below. Details are as follows:
- 3 distinct winners will be selected at random to win 1 pack of flavored balm dotcoms (coconut, rose, mint and cherry and pink pouch will be included!)
- open internationally but you must be 18 years or older to enter
- enter through widget below (comments to the blog post are welcome but will not be considered valid entries)
- entries will be collected through May 21st, 11:45 PM PST
- winners will be selected via widget the following week after giveaway ends and contacted by me directly, names will be announced on widget in this post
- prizes will be mailed out by May 28th to the 3 selected winners
- please refer to all terms and conditions in the widget for more details
Have you tried these yet? What did you think?