Armani Fluid Sheer #5 and #8 – Shade Extensions

Armani Fluid Sheers ($59 for 30 ml/1 fl. oz.) are well loved among liquid highlighter fans. This season Armani revamped the packaging and brought out some new shades. You can see the newer shades swatched on Café Makeup’s Instagram account. I picked up #5 a light coral peach shimmer and #8 a pale frosted pink.
For those new to Armani, Fluid Sheers are liquid pearlescent highlighters. The shimmer varies per shade, some have a subtle pearly finish, others have a more noticeable frost. The uses are endless. Armani suggests that you can blend with foundation to add radiance, use as a sculpting product, alone as a makeup
base, or as a highlighter. To date the only one I have used mixed in with foundation is #7 which has a similar but slightly more visible finish compared to MAC’s Strobe Cream. The other shades are either too shimmery or dark for me to use all over the face or to mix in with foundations. I like to use these as highlighters or a cream blush.
The newer bottles are slightly taller than the original packaging although they contain the same amount of product as the original one. The differences are in the overall look and packaging. The new version has a frosted bottle so you can see the product inside and has an all over sleeker look.

I played with the newly released colors at my local Armani counter and settled on two of the lighter shades. I always love a stronger vibrant blush (blended out of course) but the darker shades are extremely pigmented and ended up looked a bit muddy on my skintone.
The peach shimmer #5 is absolute perfection. It has just the right amount of color and shimmer to give a healthy glow to the skin. The pale pink #8 is a lovely color but too light for me to wear alone. It makes a lovely highlight but definitely needs blush or bronzer added. If I were just a tad bit darker it would have a white cast on me due to the paleness.

Some close ups:

I pulled some of my current Fluid Sheers to compare, #5 looks very similar to one of the limited shades from several years ago, the Radiant Pigment Fluid Sheer #18 (however the new #5 has more pigment).

Note that the Radiant Pigment Fluid Sheers #17 and #18 were limited-edition from 2008ish and are now discontinued. They are shown below only for comparison purposes.

Swatches, same set, two different views:

I see myself getting the most use out of #5. I do think #8 is lovely but wish it were a few shades darker or less white on the skin. Fairer skinned makeup fans will love this one. Did you purchase any of the new shades? What’s your favorite Fluid Sheer?
Fluid Sheers retail for $59 each. You can find them instore now at Armani counters or online at BloomingdalesNordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Saks , Giorgio Armani Beauty.

Comments

1. April 25, 2013 / 4:18 am

Hi Sabrina,
    Both Armani Fluid Sheer #5 and #8 look gorgeous in their own right! From your swatches, I'm partial to #8 since it has a refreshing coolness!

2. April 25, 2013 / 4:39 am

Oh wow! Both are so pretty but you are right-#5 is perfect! I need to check these out!

3. April 25, 2013 / 5:45 am

wow… #5 is so pretty… 😀 😀

4. April 25, 2013 / 6:30 am

Wow, #5 looks gorgeous! #8 looks really pretty too, but I don't see a shade like that working on me as well. On an unrelated note, I always wonder with things like highlighters and liquid blushes why brands include so much product. I could just never see myself (or anyone else for that matter) completely using up something like this or the BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfectors, for instance. Oh well!

• April 25, 2013 / 6:46 pm

Hi Tiffany,

Not that many of us "civilians" would use it this way, but makeup artists love to mix products like these with body foundation for their clients' red carpet, special occasion, or modeling looks. For example, Nicole Kidman was wearing Tom Ford's Fire Lust mixed with her body foundation at the Oscars. It created a play of subtle warmth on her skin so that the black and gold gown didn't look harsh against her über fair coloring.

• April 25, 2013 / 9:10 pm

Good point, Eileen! I guess I didn't consider makeup artists' usage 🙂

5. April 25, 2013 / 7:38 am

OMG these look really nice. I'm planning to hit my Armani counter soon to check these out. #5 is gorgeous.

6. April 25, 2013 / 9:16 am

Hey Sabrina, I like how #5 looks! If it's too pale for you then it is most probably too pale for me, but I might look into other shades 😉

April 25, 2013 / 11:57 am

Where can you buy Radiant Pigments, please?

• April 25, 2013 / 12:19 pm

Sorry I didn't clarify – they were limited and discontinued several years ago. Armani doesn't make them anymore.

8. April 25, 2013 / 1:00 pm

Some are really shimmery idd, it scares me a bit :p. But I like how they came out with an extensive range of different shades and finishes. I'm pretty curious aobut 5 and 18, I love the colours ^^.

• April 25, 2013 / 1:28 pm

Teri – I updated the post above since it wasn't clear. The Radiant Pigments #17 and #18 were limited from 2008. They were discontinued. I showed them above for comparison in case long-time armani fans wanted to see how the new shades compared.

If you like #18, go for the new #5. HTH!

9. April 25, 2013 / 1:50 pm

These are gorgeous! I think it's fine I finally try them!

April 25, 2013 / 3:33 pm

Fluid Sheers #10 under the Greek sun…just perfection! Amalia

11. April 25, 2013 / 3:45 pm

wow…they are awesome

12. April 25, 2013 / 11:32 pm

Gorgeous swatches as always! I'm very interested in #5. Is the pigmentation on the skin comparable to a blush?

Nordstrom is also having a gift with purchase for Giorgio Armani Beauty online right now!

13. April 26, 2013 / 11:28 am

I got 8 and it's splendid for cooler & lighter types…bother are gorgeous, Armani is a Maestro